Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
obyrm
obyrm began at the beginning.

Device: KOA2; Formerly:KOA,KV,PW2,CybookHDFL, KoboGlo,Sony-T1-650-600,iLiad
Switching from Sony to Kobo Glo?

I am planning to switch from Sony eReader to Kobo Glo. I am very disappointed with the latest Sony eReader which I have no intention to buy. My options are Kindle Paperwhite and Kobo Glo. Unfortunately Kindle does not support ePub format and it does not have a slot for expandable memory. I only read pdf and ePub books. So I thought Kobo Glo would be my best choice. But I have few questions;

1- Is Kobo Glo capable of pinch to zoom in pdf documents?
2- Does it support pdf reflow?
3- Does it support dictionary function for non-image based pdf documents?

obyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
The current Kobo firmware doesn't support any of these and while I can't say for sure, I would be surprised if the Glo will have these features. Sorry.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I too have been considering Kobo glow due to the SD option and I hate kindle page numbers above all else (or should I say location numbers?). Those who have Kobos, can you sync books you didn't buy from Kobo and keep track of the reading progress on your android cell phone, or will it only update books you buy from them? The thing I like about Sony is the fact that they will update books you didn't buy from them so you never lose your current page, except on the T1, which never syncs the current page number no matter what book you are currently reading. I guess I have yet to find the perfect system for me since I tend to read on whatever device I happen to have near me at the time.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The only syncimg is for books being read in what we call kepub format (ie downloaded from Kobo either via WiFi, or via Kobo desktop).

Also, SD support is a bit hit or miss in current Touchs; the challenge seems to be finding SD cards that are compatible....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Oh well, kobo has still those dumb page numbers that only count up to the end of the chapter, anyway. Wish everyone would use the same epub format so the page numbers match.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No... Kobo in displaying ePubs DOES show the same page # as anyone else; it is just in kEpub that they show numbers within the chapter.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Cap.T
Enthusiast
Cap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, PRS-T1
I also plan to get a Glo to replace my T1. One question I have: I'm using my readers only offline. W-LAN is always off. With the T1 that's not a problem. How about the Glo? In pictures I saw of the device there was a "Recommended Books" thing which I would think you have to be online for in order to see it. Is it possible to use the reader with W-LAN turned off? Thanks!
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

If its the same as the Touch then no issues at all with no WiFi connection; the recommended books get updated when a Sync is dome; either via WiFi or Kobo Desktop via USB.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
I have to apologize for the list of questions here, I found many answers on the internet, but some of the information is conflicting (possibly different firmwares...)

In the Kobo Touch (hoping one can extrapolate the Kobo Glo handling)
  • Can you read one handed, I mean without buttons to turn the page?
  • Do you need to install the PC-App to use the reader (I'm on Linux and I don't know, if it runs in wine)? I can cope with ADE, that runs fine.
  • Are there collections?
  • Can it display calibres series information?
  • Am I asking to many questions?

I would be very obliged, if someone 'in the know' could answer some of these questions.

Thank you
Sven
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Yes, you can read one handed, but it isn't as easy as it sounds.

If you can edit a SQL lite database, you don't have to install the PC application.

There are shelves, which are sort of like collections.

Nope on the series info, unless you edit the epub metadata and put it into the title.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Well, once it is in the shops, I'll give the Glo a trial run...

Thank you, murg, for your help!

Regards
Sven
Old 09-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I often read one-handed; my approach is to hold the Touch ion my left hand, and then use a swipe from Right to Left with my thumb to turn the page. (Yes; I could reconfigure to have a tap on the left turn the page forward, but I find it easier to use a swipe).
Old 09-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
opitzs
Avid Reader

@PeterT: That sounds perfectly good to me, I could live with that, the page buttons on the T1 also need a little bit of thumb acrobatics, if you have a bigger hand, so I can easily live with that.

Thank you
Sven
Old 09-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With my 650, I find that having a cover helps hold it without accidentally touching the screen. If I am holding with my left hand, I just use a very simple right-to-left thumb swipe. I highlynrecommend a cover to help hold the reader as well as protect it. The cover helps you hold the reader as the bezels are getting smaller.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
opitzs
Avid Reader

Yeah, I have the Gecko cover for my T1, it just gives a better grip and the shiny bezel is covered up...