Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Audiobook/Podcast app with the following features?

I'm looking for any usable audiobook or podcast app which can do the basic tasks iOS's built in podcast app can do. FYI, a podcast app is essentially the same as an audiobook app, as far as the source is non DRM, compared to a music app, the main difference is:

That you have the skip forward and skip backward buttons instead of the fast forward/rewind on a music app. That's one feature I require.

The other is, it does not require any registration or login and I can just add simple episodes from my computer (aside RSS subscriptions, but that is not really necessary).

Any worthy contenders? I searched the store and the web, installed lots of crap to no avail.

Last edited by avid01; 08-26-2015 at 08:48 AM.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:07 AM   #2
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I understand this might not be the best place to ask (which is, then?), but at least some of you like podcasts and audiobooks here so that you even suggested to have a separate forum dedicated to audiobooks as well. Android is the most popular platform and MobileRead is the most popular forum for at least reading on those devices. Any tips for me? I can't believe I can't find a viable solution for this seemingly simple issue.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:11 AM   #3
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I was going to suggest Akimbo audiobook player as a free option but upon doing a quick search for the link it's become apparent Googles removed it from the store.

They seem to do that a lot lately and the book apps tend to never come back.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:45 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I was going to suggest Akimbo audiobook player as a free option but upon doing a quick search for the link it's become apparent Googles removed it from the store.

Amazon has it in their appstore -- Akimbo Audiobook Player
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:24 AM   #5
avid01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Interesting. Why Google removes otherwise good apps from its store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks. Before I delve into this: I actually managed to install Akimbo 1.6.2. from untrusted sources (to an unsecured device anyways, no big deal), the screen looked exactly something like this, though none of the controls worked:

Seriously, it looks like a design failure to me See the iOS Podcast app before, just the jump back/forth 15 sec buttons are there, which enable operation without having to look on the device. Akimbo for some reason also features on the same screen jump back and forth not only 10 secs, but 1 minute as well, not to mention fast forward/rewind and menu and bookmark buttons on the wrong place.

On my untrusted download none of the controls worked anyways, but if I can't get a plain screen with a simple pair of buttons of jump back/forth 10/15 secs without the clutter of useless buttons which just hinder operation without having to look on the device and navigate with precision, I am not interested in this app anyways.

Anything better for me?
Old 08-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #6
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That's weird that it's some sort of Trial version when I installed it from Google Play not all that long ago it was the Full version Free, to be honest I wouldn't pay for it myself although functionally it works well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
Interesting. Why Google removes otherwise good apps from its store?
Google removes apps for really any reason or complaint quite often the issue could have been resolved with a different screenshot in the description or something idiotic like that but they also have a habit of not telling developers why the app was removed and they have to take wild guesses trying to get it approved again.

Personally I stopped buying from the play store altogether after losing a few paid apps.
Even if the apps do make a return (which is rare) the way the play store works means they are now classed as a new app and anyone who bought the original is out of pocket and now would have to rebuy it which as far as I'm concerned is basically theft.

As for Akimbo functionally it works perfectly for me but I'm not really into audio books the slow speed of listening tends to bore me.
The only other app I've seen anyone express any interest is Smart Audio Player, but I don't really see any major advantages over Akimbo, to be honest the ones that let you load your own files all seem to be quite ugly.

Edit: Was curious enough to find a reddit thread that seems to suggest Listen Audiobook Player is a popular choice

Last edited by Teknikal; 08-23-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Avid01
Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
avid01
Addict

@Dr. Drib

Sorry about the image size; which forum engine do you use which is not capable of auto-resizing to desirable sizes?

Anyways, I am an infrequent member of a few forums, so, now I recall you have this image size issue, but it's easy to forget, esp. as it is such a special issue on this forum, sorry about that.

@Teknikal

I get back to your answer later; thanks!

Last edited by avid01; 08-26-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #9
jmontano
Enthusiast
jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmontano ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Maybe Podcast Addict may do the trick?
jmontano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #10
avid01
Addict

Addendum: I am looking for such an app (podcast or audiobook) that allows me to add single local episodes. All these seem to force me to subscribe to feeds and add from there, which is bonkers. what if I want to listen to a single episode, years old? Or, my favorite use case, download the audio track of a YouTube presentation and listen to that. The iOS app just works, so why is it so hard to find a similar, working solution on Android? I don't get it.

I began to go through these https://play.google.com/store/search?q=audiobook&c=apps
and these https://play.google.com/store/search?q=podcast&c=apps
respectively, but it's kind of like looking for the holy grail. ;(

Fun fact: http://9to5mac.com/2015/07/20/report...-podcasts-app/ Why?
Old 08-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #11
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I can listen to an mp3 file on my phone or tablet with Podcast Addict. Not sure what other types of audio files I can play through the app.

I listened to podcasts on a really old iPod for the longest time while searching for an app that suited my needs. Variable speed playback was at the top of my list.

Last edited by copyrite; 08-26-2015 at 06:45 PM.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #12
avid01
Addict

On your suggestion I tried Podcast Addict. It has way too many features, for no reason. I am not sure if a user interface designer have overseen the project.

It may still be able to do the job, however, but there is one major annoyance: compared to the Audible app, where if I listen to a book, I can tap nearly anywhere on the screen and the title remains in place.

With Podcast Addict, while listening, if I tap on nearly any part of the screen (think tapping accidentally), the title minimizes, again, for no reason. Any way to turn this 'feature' off, for the app to 'just work,' like the Audible app?

Really, is this the best Android can offer with it's over 80% of market share in the mobile devices space?

Last edited by avid01; 09-03-2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #13
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I don't know the answer to that. I figure the features came up as people with those specific needs requested them. There's a lot in that app I don't use.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #14
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
As mentioned earlier in the thread Listen Audiobook Player is the app I use. It does have Fast forward/backward and Skip Forward/backward and Skip File. You can set the length to Skip forward/backward in the settings.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1441410383976.png
Views:	369
Size:	639.5 KB
ID:	141725
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:49 AM   #15
desito
desito began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone SE & IPad 2
Hello,

Totally agree with Dhevi,

Good design and a lot of funtions

The best app for audiobooks is listen audiobook player

Last edited by desito; 09-06-2015 at 04:51 AM.
desito is offline   Reply With Quote