Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
Question Correct way to search in calibre?

When searching for a book in calibre, I have just opened calibre and typed a book name.
However now when I do that nothing happens.
What am I missing?

Also sometimes it now shows books unrelated to my books highlighted.
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
When searching for a book in calibre, I have just opened calibre and typed a book name.
However now when I do that nothing happens.
What am I missing?

Also sometimes it now shows books unrelated to my books highlighted.
Check the state of the button (right end of search) with the blue bars. You want the version with the red slash

BTW a un-tweaked Calibre will find your (simple) search string in comments and series
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=theducks;2512804

BTW a un-tweaked Calibre will find your (simple) search string in comments and series[/QUOTE]

??? Sorry don't understand this.

Did find the button thanks, I remember pressing it now, as if I type in an authors name don't get the list of his books anymore.
Calibre seems to freeze.
All I want to do is put an authors name e.g James Patterson in the search box and his books appear. It happened before but not now.

Last edited by book64; 05-13-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You can specify under the Calibre preferences what fields should be searched. The default setting include the comments which can both slow things down and also lead to unexpected hits.

You can restrict the search to a specific field by preceding it with the column name. For instance something like:
Code:
author:lackey
This will be much faster and be less likely to get unexpected results.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
??? Sorry don't understand this.

Did find the button thanks, I remember pressing it now, as if I type in an authors name don't get the list of his books anymore.
Calibre seems to freeze.
All I want to do is put an authors name e.g James Patterson in the search box and his books appear. It happened before but not now.
book64 - maybe this will work better for your author and other queries

Make a book by the author current, make the author column is current, then press 'q' - you will get a Quick List in a separate panel of the authors book's, and as you move though that list, the book is displayed in the main book list - a hidden gem I recently learned of.

Here's a thread with more info - it works for other fields too - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210621

There are some changes in the pipeline that will make it a bit more obvious that the feature exists.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-13-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: forgot the link
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You can specify under the Calibre preferences what fields should be searched. The default setting include the comments which can both slow things down and also lead to unexpected hits.

You can restrict the search to a specific field by preceding it with the column name. For instance something like:
Code:
author:lackey
This will be much faster and be less likely to get unexpected results.
Thanks. I am finding calibre complicated eben though I suppose once you know how its not.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
book64 - maybe this will work better for your author and other queries

Make a book by the author current, make the author column is current, then press 'q' - you will get a Quick List in a separate panel of the authors book's, and as you move though that list, the book is displayed in the main book list - a hidden gem I recently learned of.

Here's a thread with more info - it works for other fields too - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210621

There are some changes in the pipeline that will make it a bit more obvious that the feature exists.

BR
Thanks
That is a simpler answer for me. Will try it.
If only I knew why just entering an authors name as before is not bringing up a short list of his books.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:35 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
If only I knew why just entering an authors name as before is not bringing up a short list of his books.
What does come up?

If you go to Preferences - Searching - Columns that non-prefixed searches are limited to you can change the contents of the field. I have mine set to title, authors, tags, series, publisher so when I type in a random (non-prefixed) query in the search bar it will not search the comments field too.

Allowing the search of the comments field will return books where one or more of your search words may be found in the comments of a book. Thus giving you a random appearing list.

You can also open (press the tag icon in the lower right) the tag browser and simply click on the author, this will enter a prefixed search for you in the search bar.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:48 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks
That is a simpler answer for me. Will try it.
book64 as your library grows search will get slower - one way to make it faster is to limit the searching to certain columns - in particular the book Comments makes searching slower. You can do that in Preference->Searching - the first attachment shows what I have, the #status column is a custom column - you will see that I exclude Comments.

if you have the Limit the searched metadata ticked and you don't have author included in Columns that have non-prefixed searches are limited to: then the author column is not searched

If you right click a book you will see an option for Similar Books, which has sub-options as shown in the second attachment, these options can be accessed with keyboard shortcuts as shown in the attachment - eg Alt/a for Author, Alt/p for publisher etc.

So to answer your original question [What is the] Correct way to search in calibre? There is no 'correct way', calibre has many ways to search and all are correct.

There's a Search button to the left of the search bar, it can also be useful.

BR x-posting with DoctorOhh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	702
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	105872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 2013-05-14 , 16_17_57.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	105873  

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-14-2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #10
book64
Love reading

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
What does come up?

This is what comes up when I search
That's why I get confused
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	551
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	105910  
Old 05-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is what comes up when I search That's why I get confused
Thanks, but not very helpful.

The picture doesn't show me how many books out of how many books were returned (left side of the search bar). Nor does it show me the three icons to the right of the search bar which would let us know if the third icon needs to be toggled so you only see the search results.

If the number of books shown is your entire library then you need to hit F3 multiple time to go to each search result 1 at a time. If you would prefer seeing only the search results follow theducks advice above and toggle the 3rd icon to the right of the search bar.

If the number is some fraction of all of your books then your search is showing you everything that has Kristen or Hannah in a searchable field. The most likely cause of the massive results is due to having the Comments field set as a searchable field and you should follow BetterRed or my advice directly above your last post explaining how to limit the search fields.

Additionally you can follow itimpi's advice above and do a prefixed search or use the Tag browser to create the prefixed search for you as I describe above.

Bottom line is all the info you need is in this thread.

Good Luck &

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-15-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

------
Old 05-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
------
So we meet again.......
Old 05-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
What does come up?

If you go to Preferences - Searching - Columns that non-prefixed searches are limited to you can change the contents of the field. I have mine set to title, authors, tags, series, publisher so when I type in a random (non-prefixed) query in the search bar it will not search the comments field too.

Allowing the search of the comments field will return books where one or more of your search words may be found in the comments of a book. Thus giving you a random appearing list.
You can also open (press the tag icon in the lower right) the tag browser and simply click on the author, this will enter a prefixed search for you in the search bar.
Thanks
Think I am getting there at last you will be very glad to know!
Changed the Preferences - Searching - Columns to title authors tags series yesterday But there was no change
But this morning I typed in a search and it found all my James Patterson! Yippee

Can I just query this though --

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-15-2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: fixed close quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Think I am getting there at last you will be very glad to know!
Changed the Preferences - Searching - Columns to title authors tags series yesterday But there was no change
But this morning I typed in a search and it found all my James Patterson! Yippee
When you change many of Calibre's preferences, a restart (ctrl-R) is needed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote