Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-17-2015, 04:42 AM   #38896
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Preparing to send my Nexus 7 tablet back to the store I bought it from.

Since I assume the store will send it on the Asus I've made pictures of how my tablet looks now. I've read some horror stories about Asus' repair and customer service. I'm also packing the original box in a bigger box with a ridiculous amount of filler material (which I'll also photograph).

After work I'll cycle over to the post office to send it, the weather prediction for today is great so I might go on a longer ride after dropping off the package.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:04 AM   #38897
cromag
Surfing the alpha waves ~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Jetbook Mini, Netbook, and two Androids
Just downloaded the latest issues of Asimov's and Analog. Discovered that, somehow, I missed downloading a back issue of Analog. Downloaded it to an Android tablet via the Nook App (since B&N won't show back issues in the browser anymore) then copied it to Dropbox, to my Netbook, and into Calibre. My JetBook Lite is now up to date. (These magazines are DRM-free, so this info should be okay as per MR guidelines.)

Now, I may have a little more zinfandel and see if I have time to read a quick story before hitting the sack.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #38898
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This made me laugh.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #38899
poohbear_nc
Not Ready For 2015
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
Day 2 of trimming shrubbery & yew bushes .... which seem to have thrived on the recent heavy snowfall ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #38900
Debound1
Debound1 can grok the meaning of the universe.Debound1 can grok the meaning of the universe.Debound1 can grok the meaning of the universe.Debound1 can grok the meaning of the universe.Debound1 can grok the meaning of the universe.Debound1 can grok the meaning of the universe.Debound1 can grok the meaning of the universe.Debound1 can grok the meaning of the universe.Debound1 can grok the meaning of the universe.Debound1 can grok the meaning of the universe.Debound1 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: none
Just became the member, right now exploring the forum and threads . By the way, i must say that this is the only forum at which i love fulfilling CONFIRMATION CODE .. HUMAN VERIFICATION codes are way too funny
Debound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #38901
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Editing stills taken from video I shot during this afternoon's ride. We discovered a really neat little jungle restaurant beside a small stream. You can't really see the restaurant until you park, so I'm sort of surprised we actually found it. There is the main seating area just across the bridge, plus several small covered platforms right down on the river with tables. Good menu, with most dishes costing between 60-80 baht ($2-$2.50) Rather large servings, too! This sort of restaurant is pretty common all over S.E. Asia. Good service.Cool breeze, lots of flowers, and really good food! Along with 50 miles of twisty mountain motorcycle riding, it made for a very nice Sunday afternoon!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #38902
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Ahhhhh
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #38903
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I need to be at a meeting in 31 minutes that is 15 minutes away. Strider has curled up on me and is doing purr therapy. Time for bad mom to kick in

Sigh
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #38904
Rumpelteazer
Wizard

My parents just left to go to my aunt's 65th birthday party, so I'm on my on in the store the rest of the day. There are no shipments to be dealt with and I did the bimonthly cleaning last week and it isn't a very busy day so far. So for once I can relax and read between customers.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #38905
cromag
Surfing the alpha waves ~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Jetbook Mini, Netbook, and two Androids
I'm not really interested in using my phone as a music player. I really strongly prefer MP3 players for that job. I have a couple of Creative brand players that I like, but they're very cranky about what computer connects to them, updates their software, etc. Plus, the batteries are getting older and they're very difficult to replace (assuming I can find them).

So, I got an old Iriver H320 to update/upgrade. Changed the battery, replaced the hard drive with a Compact Flash card, installed RockBox software. I LOVE it ... but ... the USB connection isn't stable. It might just be the CF adapter I'm using, but it might be the (circa 2004) player. Not a big financial risk -- I got it at the Goodwill auction site, cheap -- but it sounds great, and I'd really like to get it working.

So, I still have some tinkering to do.

Last edited by cromag; 03-24-2015 at 09:21 PM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:03 PM   #38906
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano, & a PC running Windows 9½.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
My parents just left to go to my aunt's 65th birthday party, so I'm on my on in the store the rest of the day. There are no shipments to be dealt with and I did the bimonthly cleaning last week and it isn't a very busy day so far. So for once I can relax and read between customers.

I saw that and thought, "Wow. Her aunt's really old." Then I recalled the Medicare webinar I attended today because I'll be turning 65 in less than two weeks.

My daughter told me recently I used to look younger than I am but my age has caught up with me.

She's wrong about my new walking shoes being ugly, too.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #38907
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I saw that and thought, "Wow. Her aunt's really old." Then I recalled the Medicare webinar I attended today because I'll be turning 65 in less than two weeks.

My daughter told me recently I used to look younger than I am but my age has caught up with me.

She's wrong about my new walking shoes being ugly, too.

Not to worry, Tom. I'm 3 years older, but just had racing stripes painted on my walker...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #38908
Rumpelteazer
Wizard

Almost two weeks ago my tablet died, luckily it was still within warranty (just 11 days left) and the vendor asked me to send it back to them. A week ago I got an email from them telling me they had received it and, after checking it, were sending it through to the manufacturer.

This afternoon I got an email back that my tablet is on it's way back to me with a new motherboard and I don't have to pay a thing! It should arrive tomorrow. Yay!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:47 PM   #38909
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano, & a PC running Windows 9½.
So what are you doing RIGHT NOW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Almost two weeks ago my tablet died, luckily it was still within warranty (just 11 days left) and the vendor asked me to send it back to them. A week ago I got an email from them telling me they had received it and, after checking it, were sending it through to the manufacturer.

This afternoon I got an email back that my tablet is on it's way back to me with a new motherboard and I don't have to pay a thing! It should arrive tomorrow. Yay!

It must be the season for new motherboards. I just got my PC back and they replaced the motherboard on it. Fortunately I bought the extended warranty and the repair cost me nothing. Last year they replaced the power supply. Had a bit of problems with this particular unit, but as I suspected a motherboard problem last year, my luck with it may have just changed.

I still haven't hooked it back up yet. I'll do that tomorrow. I still have some housework ahead of me tonight including getting things started in the crock pot for tomorrow night's dinner.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM   #38910
Rumpelteazer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It must be the season for new motherboards. I just got my PC back and they replaced the motherboard on it. Fortunately I bought the extended warranty and the repair cost me nothing. Last year they replaced the power supply. Had a bit of problems with this particular unit, but as I suspected a motherboard problem last year, my luck with it may have just changed.

I still haven't hooked it back up yet. I'll do that tomorrow. I still have some housework ahead of me tonight including getting things started in the crock pot for tomorrow night's dinner.
When it died two weeks ago I suspected it must have been the motherboard. After a quick search the symptoms of not wanting to boot beyond the Google logo usually either indicates a jailbreak/hack gone wrong or a broken motherboard.

I just got it back and it's now charging and downloading all my apps. Luckily I made a back-up hours before the tablet died so it should restore a lot of my settings.

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?