Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
eBook cover art

Greetings!

I downloaded all my eBooks cover art to change them from Calibre, however, I have a few questions :

1) Is there a way to prevent the default size from being 600x800 in the eBook? It looks like all the cover art I downloaded are being stretched when converted.

2) Is there a way to only change the cover art as you can do in iTunes with mp3s w/o having to convert the eBook back? Ie, simply edit the metadata like you can do with mp3s? Changing the cover art from editing the metadata only doesn't seem to work?

3) Sometimes, when I add cover art, a few extra blank pages are added following, anyway to prevent or remove those?

Thanks
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1) No, I'm afraid not.

2) Depends on ebook format, some format allow this, some don't.

3) Hard to say without looking at a sample showing this problem.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
1) No, I'm afraid not.

2) Depends on ebook format, some format allow this, some don't.

3) Hard to say without looking at a sample showing this problem.
Thanks for the answers! I am mostly converting from ePub to ePub to edit the cover art. I wonder, is there a converting option to remove all blank pages within an ePub file?

From what I saw, the blank pages are left behind at the beginning of the book because I specified, during conversion, to "remove first image".

Also, some eBooks have blank pages between chapters - no doubt left from the paperback edition (ie, the empty back of one page in between chapters).

Thanks again
Old 01-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
epub files don't really have a concept of "pages". What you're seeing is extra blank space after content. This is in general hard to detect and remove automatically.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
You could use Sigil to remove the space. Thats what I do.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 06:46 AM   #6
Squirsier
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
You could use Sigil to remove the space. Thats what I do.
I thought about doing that too, but the task of editing 55 eBooks was too daunting for me
Old 10-31-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
scifihero
scifihero began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ereader PRS 600 Touch Edition
How Do You Do That?

Hi I am a Sony PRS 600 ouch Edition Owner but am thinking of switching to the new Nook Color I am having a problem when I use Calibre to convert my files to PDB it does not want totransfer the cover image. I would like to ask you 1. How did you get the artwork for your books is there a program or something that will do this for you? & 2. Is there a program to convert the stuff to either PDB or EPUB with the artwork attatched and showing up on the nook software for the computer? Please help me I would really appreciate I have searched the net to no avail to find stuff like this so if you could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dan
scifihero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:32 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
For the Nook, I thought the prefered format was EPUB. There is certainly no problem in getting cover art in EPUB files. I am also surprised there is any issue in getting cover art into PDB files! Are you running a conversion after getting cover art - this is required to get it inserted into the output file. Sometime one converts with input and output formats the same to achieve this.

In terms of getting cover art, why not simply use the button in Calibre to get it? Other sources I use are Amazon, Barnes & Noble, www.fantasticfiction.co.uk, and failing all the other options go googling for it.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:18 AM   #9
scifihero

Thanks but one more Question?

When I transfer a book to the nook for PC it shows up as Barnes And Noble Cover on the outside but when I click on it the cover shows up on the inside will this be the way it is displayed on the nook itself? Like when I click on it it shows me page 1 with the cover on it, I guess what I am asking is will the Barnes&Noble mark show up on the Nook or will the cover from page 1 show up? If so with the Barnes&Noble just showing up is there any way to remedy this.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by scifihero; 11-01-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
scifihero

I have used Calibre to add my cover art by converting and when I put it on the Barnes&Noble NOOK for PC the title shows up and author but the cover only shows up when click on a mark where the book should be that says Barnes&Noble on page 1 of the book. Can anyone answer this question please I am desperate? Will The full color cover show up when I transfer from the nook for PC to the Nook Color or will it stay the same with the Barnes&Noble symbol and I have to click open book for the cover? Will someone, anyone please answer my question I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You Very Much,
Dan