Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
sdfg
sdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the rough

Device: none
Images not shown

Hi,

I upgraded from 1.48 to 2.19 on linux, and now no images are being displayed at all - not the covers, not any inside the books even. I've tried checking the library, no problems, I did the second check, no problems with covers (nothing missing, nothing extra). If I try and edit a book that I know has a cover, and use the cover from the format, it says "the cover in the epub format is invalid".

If I try and manually add a jpg as a cover, it says that the jpg file is not a valid image file.

It's almost as if it doesn't know how to read image files anymore!

Can anyone help?
sdfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfg View Post
Hi,

I upgraded from 1.48 to 2.19 on linux, and now no images are being displayed at all - not the covers, not any inside the books even. I've tried checking the library, no problems, I did the second check, no problems with covers (nothing missing, nothing extra). If I try and edit a book that I know has a cover, and use the cover from the format, it says "the cover in the epub format is invalid".

If I try and manually add a jpg as a cover, it says that the jpg file is not a valid image file.

It's almost as if it doesn't know how to read image files anymore!

Can anyone help?
Upgrade to calibre 2.20 first. If the problem is not solved then start calibre in debug and post the result.
Code:
calibre-debug -g
I am having no problems with Mint 17.1.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
sdfg
sdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the roughsdfg is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Upgrade to calibre 2.20 first. If the problem is not solved then start calibre in debug and post the result.
Not available on my distro yet. Was this a known problem with 2.19?
Old 02-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Never use the distro version. ALWAYS get the OFFICIAL release from kovid. Go to http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux and follow the instructions.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:51 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If this problem cannot be duplicated with the binary distribution, it is almost certainly some ridiculous patch being applied downstream.

Also, which distro are you using that is so up to date???
(Archlinux is, but believe it or not, even they are doing the same nonsense.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
sdfg

I've updated to 2.20, still no luck.

I'm on Gentoo. I had to write the ebuild for 2.20.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #7
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
If you're installing calibre 2.20 on gentoo from an ebuild, then you must have qt5, still unstable in portage, installed from source. My guess would be that something is wrong there. Do you have other packages installed that depend on qt5 and are they working?

Many months ago, when calibre updated to use qt5, I just converted to installing the binary package (as others are recommending here) and it works fine on gentoo. All of its dependencies are self-contained in the binary package.

My UI (KDE) depends on qt, and I'm not about to even think about updating my system to qt5 until it goes stable in portage.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Look at this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251654
bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfg View Post
I've updated to 2.20, still no luck.

I'm on Gentoo. I had to write the ebuild for 2.20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
If you're installing calibre 2.20 on gentoo from an ebuild, then you must have qt5, still unstable in portage, installed from source. My guess would be that something is wrong there. Do you have other packages installed that depend on qt5 and are they working?

Many months ago, when calibre updated to use qt5, I just converted to installing the binary package (as others are recommending here) and it works fine on gentoo. All of its dependencies are self-contained in the binary package.

My UI (KDE) depends on qt, and I'm not about to even think about updating my system to qt5 until it goes stable in portage.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #9
sdfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
Yes.

[edit] Well, yes it works, but thinking on it, there aren't any images in it (it's quassel). So I'm trying to find a lightweight imageviewer to double check if it's a qt problem or calibre.

Quote:
It compiles fine. All dependencies that are listed have been installed. Anything not listed, should be.

Quote:
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
It compiles fine. Not sure why you highlighted that.

Last edited by sdfg; 03-02-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just because it compiles fine, doesn't mean there aren't bugs. If gentoo does not consider qt5 stable, maybe this is a symptom. OTOH, Kovid builds calibre on gentoo so *presumably* it should be fine.

It does work fine on ArchLinux -- or would if they didn't patch out modified libs in calibre.

Either way if it cannot be duplicated in the binary release it isn't a problem in calibre itself and might not get fixed.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
OTOH, Kovid builds calibre on gentoo so *presumably* it should be fine.
That was changed for 2.x and Qt 5

The calibre linux releases are now built on a debian VM with all the bundled dependencies hand compiled by me, using upstream packages (i.e. not debian packages).

As for the OP's problem, almost certainly a library dependency issue (use LD_DEBUG=all to get more information, or just use the calibre binary packages and save yourself lots of headaches).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:42 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Heh, that is different all right...