Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #76
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I don't think it's always about "better". Sometimes it's truly just bafflement.

For example, I don't "get" people who read the end of the book first. So if I say "really, why would you do that?!" I'm not trying to imply "you idiot", I'm just trying to understand why that would be something people would choose to do.

I didn't think this thread had turned into the "you idiot" kind of discussion (at least not yet).
Perhaps it was a hasty pre-emptive diplomatic strike on my part. It just seemed like we were headed for the cliff again, or maybe I'm just too sensitive to that sort of thing at the moment for reasons that have nothing to do with whether or not anyone re-reads. Just add this to my list of misguided peacekeeping missions. Not the first time, won't be the last.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #77
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Boy this thread got big fast.

I don't reread much. And if I do it is decades, not just years, later.

Also, the books I might re-read tend to be classics, and thus my re-read will just as likely be a newer, hopefully better, translation. The one re-read I am now planning is Dr. Zhivago, and there is a newer translation out.

If my wife and I read the same book, and it's rare, we will probably both read it one after the other.

So I'm not going to keep hundreds of books on an eReader on the off chance I will want to re-read one before I die. If I do live another 30 years and re-read it then, look how much time I would have had to spend in library maintenance. That's what my tax dollars (and Brooklyn library fee) is for.

Then, if books aren't public domain, I almost always get them from the library (eBook if available, paper if not). So doing anything other than returning/deleting a read book makes no sense to me. My DRM problem is the library due date, but it hardly seems fair, or feasible, for there to not be that kind of DRM.

I've bought maybe two eBooks in the past year or so, mostly because they were not published in the US. They weren't worth re-reading.

And on a totally note, this is my first Mobileread ever post from Linux.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #78
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
My experience with DRM is that it doesn't prevent piracy. It does, however, put burdens on the paying customer.
Locking the door of physical bookstores also puts a burden on the paying customer. If everyone was like me, they could trust that the money would be put near the register when I, on rare occasion, took a book during unstaffed hours. But because they don't trust the public, they have to lock doors, put in alarms, spy on customers with mirrors, threaten to jail shoplifters, and so forth. There may be an ultra-low-crime area on this planet where a bookstores does, quietly and without publicity, welcome customers when unstaffed. But, generally, it would reduce revenue.

As far as I can see, a lock on the door is no more or less a sign of distrusting readers than is DRM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #79
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't understand. How could you possibly know if a book might be potentially valuable(?) enough to want to re-read someday before you read it?

Book ownership and re-reading aren't connected in my eyes. Why try to make them be? In the past, I've re-read books I never owned, and owned books I've never re-read. One has no direct correlation to the other.
Of course I don't KNOW, but I buy a book with the expectation that it will be a book I will like. And if I like it, I will want to keep it and probably reread it. Why else buy something except with the expectation that you will like it?

If I don't like the book, then I don't keep it.

Why shouldn't ownership and rereading be connected? Ownership means I can reread the book whenever it strikes my fancy to do so. I don't have to rely on the book being available elsewhere; I don't have to search for it or wait for it. If it goes out of print, I still have my copy.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #80
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I don't understand. How could you possibly know if a book might be potentially valuable(?) enough to want to re-read someday before you read it?
Well, one easy way to know it is if it is a book by an author or a book in a series that you are regularly re-reading.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #81
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Why shouldn't ownership and rereading be connected? Ownership means I can reread the book whenever it strikes my fancy to do so. I don't have to rely on the book being available elsewhere; I don't have to search for it or wait for it. If it goes out of print, I still have my copy.
I don't actually think we're disagreeing that much, here. Re-reading is one benefit of owning books, sure. But it's not the only benefit, and it's not really a factor at the time of purchase (since you don't know if you're ever going to want to re-read it yet).

My point is that hoping it's a book you're going to want to re-read someday is not the end-all, be-all determining factor in buy vs borrow. Many people (not just you) seem to make the faulty assumption that those who tend to NOT re-read would/should have no interest in buying/owning books. That's just not always the case.

Where we really differ is you that don't keep books you don't like and wouldn't want to re-read; whereas I tend to keep every book I've purchased. I don't continue reading books I don't like, but my tastes have changed drastically over the years. I may like it later in life. That happens to me all the time.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #82
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I re-read a book if I truly loved it. I often will re-read a favourite book if I just came out of reading one I couldn't stand, as an antidote

I do almost all of my reading for free. I have a large family to support and cannot afford to misfire on my limited recreation budget. For books that I adore and want to keep, I buy them, but I always use the library for a title I am interested in reading, OR I download the sample chapters. I keep sample chapters of books and tag them accordingly in calibre if it's a book I either want to read or never see again.

I am not a fast reader. My husband tears through books, I take my time.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #83
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Where we really differ is you that don't keep books you don't like and wouldn't want to re-read; whereas I tend to keep every book I've purchased. I don't continue reading books I don't like, but my tastes have changed drastically over the years. I may like it later in life. That happens to me all the time.
I didn't keep them because of space considerations, mostly. Nowadays, though, with e-books, I'm less likely to purge books; I have to actively hate the book (and anyway, it's still in my bookstore account, even if I delete it).

How do you know you like the book later in life unless you reread it and find out???
Old 11-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #84
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
I can comprehend it; I just think it's weird.

If I didn't think a book was potentially valuable enough for me to want to reread someday, but I felt I had to read it for some reason anyway, I would borrow it from the library. That's why I wonder what the point of ownership is if you never reread.
I don't get many books from the library because I hate waiting on waiting lists. There are long waits there. It's worth the money to me to pay and get to read it when I want.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #85
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
How do you know you like the book later in life unless you reread it and find out???
I think you misunderstood me. I stop reading books a short way into them when they fail to grab me. That doesn't mean I give up on them forever. I often experience 3 or 4 false starts on books before they "take." Wrong time/wrong mindset/mood, I figure. So to clarify my position: I rarely re-read books that I've completed. I have no qualms about re-reading a chapter or two.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #86
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well, one easy way to know it is if it is a book by an author or a book in a series that you are regularly re-reading.
How do you know you will be 'rereading', when the book is the first (eve/you own/in a 'to be a series') by an Author ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #87
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me. I stop reading books a short way into them when they fail to grab me. That doesn't mean I give up on them forever. I often experience 3 or 4 false starts on books before they "take." Wrong time/wrong mindset/mood, I figure. So to clarify my position: I rarely re-read books that I've completed. I have no qualms about re-reading a chapter or two.
Ah. Yes, I did misunderstand.

I am someone who almost always must finish a book I start. I am pretty careful about choosing books in the first place; the books I can't finish are usually limited to ones that I try to read because a friend foisted them on me, or books "everyone" is reading, or--back in the day--books assigned in class (though one day I AM going to finish Anna Karenina ... maybe).
Old 11-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #88
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I usually have a number of books 'reading: in progress status' for most of the reasons you gave. My e-reader does an excellent job of facilitating this by remembering where I left off.
No bookmarks falling out (sometimes with kitty help ), like in the case of DTB's.
There have been a few books, that had a 'In progress' time measured in years as I would read a bit, the set aside while I read a hundred others

I have a few with the 'Read' column in Calibre, flagged 'No' (blank is not read). That is my warning to approach additional works with extra care.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #89
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
How do you know you will be 'rereading', when the book is the first (eve/you own/in a 'to be a series') by an Author ?
I don't KNOW I will be rereading!

It's really simple. I expect that the book I buy will be worth rereading, or I don't buy it. I don't consider books disposable.

If I borrow a book and really like it, I'll buy it so I can someday reread it.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #90
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My family friend didn't care about DRM either until she wanted to get a Nook instead of a Kindle after her kindle broke. It was then she discovered that all these books she bought at Amazon and hadn't read yet wouldn't work on her Nook. She got it then.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote