Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #46
uebyn
uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.uebyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen B View Post
Surely it depends on what you're writing for. Are you writing for your own enjoyment and fulfilment, or do you want to make a living at it. If it's the latter, you've got to know and understand your readers and write for them, not for your self.
Here's what Steve Jobs said (and which I wholeheartedly agree):

"(...) A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them."
uebyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #47
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uebyn View Post

"(...) A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them."
Even so, a modicum of judgment is still called for.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #48
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by uebyn View Post

Treat users as idiots, yeah sounds apple-ish enough.
Believe it or not, some of us don't delegate thinking.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #49
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
I wouldn't say that Jobs was saying to treat customers as idiots.

Listen, people can't anticipate what you might come up with that is new and better than what they've seen before. It's the job of the artist to surprise and delight.

As for writing for an audience.... it's not about catering or pandering. It's about communicating. If you're going to surprise and delight (rather than confuse and annoy) it's good to know what the audience already knows and expects.

The trick is this: if you have to warp your work to suit an audience, you're going for the wrong audience. So maybe when someone asks you "what audience are you going for?" that isn't a critique of how you should change your work, it's just a relevant question as to what are you going to do with the work when you're done.

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #50
LuceBianchi
LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1st Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaringNovelist View Post
The trick is this: if you have to warp your work to suit an audience, you're going for the wrong audience. So maybe when someone asks you "what audience are you going for?" that isn't a critique of how you should change your work, it's just a relevant question as to what are you going to do with the work when you're done.
That is a very good way to put it. I never thought of the question that way before. And to be honest... I'm not sure I've ever had an answer, even now.
LuceBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote