Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-03-2024, 04:09 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Just got a Kobo Colour (have not used Kobo in years) and followed this thread to see how to get my Calibre to connect. I am using Calibre 6.29 because of the age of my mac. Currently it does not see the device when it is connected. Is there a plug in that I need to download or something I can do?

Thanks.
You may have choices.

There is a Kobo driver that will be updated eventually to include the New Kobo Readers. This driver will be able to be used with older versions of calibre. When that is, I do not know.

You could get Boot Camp and install Windows 10 64-bit and dual-boot so you can run calibre 7.

You could run a VM and install Windows 10 64-bit and run calibre 7.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 05:36 PM   #47
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Sadly it appears to be a Calibre version problem. Just connected it to my laptop using version 7.10 and it saw the device.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:59 PM   #48
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Sadly it appears to be a Calibre version problem. Just connected it to my laptop using version 7.10 and it saw the device.
Why, yes, it is! The person who posted about the issue is using calibre 6.29 on his older Mac where the MacOS version prevents them from being able to update to 7.x. 6.29 does not have the information required to recognize the newest Kobo devices though at one time, @davidfor modified the 3.48 Kobo driver to recognize newer Kobos and hopefully, the driver can be modified again to allow the new Kobos to be recognized on older calibre versions.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 02:03 AM   #49
Ghostcat
Enthusiast
Ghostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the husk

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Why, yes, it is! The person who posted about the issue is using calibre 6.29 on his older Mac where the MacOS version prevents them from being able to update to 7.x. 6.29 does not have the information required to recognize the newest Kobo devices though at one time, @davidfor modified the 3.48 Kobo driver to recognize newer Kobos and hopefully, the driver can be modified again to allow the new Kobos to be recognized on older calibre versions.
I modified @davidfor's 3.48 plugin to work with my Clara 2E and I am quite happy to do the same for the new Kobos. If someone can give my the PRODUCT IDs. Unfortunately, I neither have or intend to buy one of the new Kobos, so will not be able to test any modifications.

The only thing is I have not the foggiest idea what the COVER_FILE_ENDING are and just went with the default.
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 08:44 AM   #50
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostcat View Post
I modified @davidfor's 3.48 plugin to work with my Clara 2E and I am quite happy to do the same for the new Kobos. If someone can give my the PRODUCT IDs. Unfortunately, I neither have or intend to buy one of the new Kobos, so will not be able to test any modifications.

The only thing is I have not the foggiest idea what the COVER_FILE_ENDING are and just went with the default.
And where does the product ID live if one were to search for it? :-)
Old 05-04-2024, 08:50 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
In calibre 7.10.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:20 AM   #52
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Possibly in the OS USB connection/driver properties. Via Device Manager in Windows. You need the Kobo to connect at least to the OS to see the properties.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:29 AM   #53
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You'll need to be aware that the three new devices all have the same USB product id. The best approach is to look at the calibre source and find the required info in the Kobo driver's device.py along with the code added to it reading the version file on the device to distinguish between the three models.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 02:45 AM   #54
Ghostcat
Enthusiast
Ghostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the husk

OK. I finally got round to modifying @davidfor's 3.48 plugin to work with the new Kobos.

However, I have only been able to test it on my Clara 2E. If anyone uses it it with the new Kobos, can you post a report here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KoboTouch348-1.3.zip (2.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-14-2024, 03:25 AM   #55
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Sorry, I hadn't read the precious post.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 03:04 PM   #56
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe you're missing one MAJOR bit... You use
Code:
def isClaraColor(self):
        return self.device_model_id.endswith('393')
but I don't see a definition of device_model_id. For that you need to add in the definition of get_device_id and device_version_info along with invoking get_device_id from the current 7.x driver
Old 05-15-2024, 01:04 AM   #57
Ghostcat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe you're missing one MAJOR bit... You use
Code:
def isClaraColor(self):
        return self.device_model_id.endswith('393')
but I don't see a definition of device_model_id. For that you need to add in the definition of get_device_id and device_version_info along with invoking get_device_id from the current 7.x driver
OK. I'll have a look. I'm surprised that it compiles if a definition is missing.

EDIT: Won't these be added by the

import os

from calibre.devices.kobo.driver
statement?

Last edited by Ghostcat; 05-15-2024 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:23 AM   #58
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostcat View Post
OK. I'll have a look. I'm surprised that it compiles if a definition is missing.

EDIT: Won't these be added by the

import os

from calibre.devices.kobo.driver
statement?
Sigh; no. The code for those functions were added to the Kobo driver in the 7.9 release. They are NOT present in any form in standard python, or in calibre at the 3.48 level.

Also, python would report a run time error when it tried to execute any of that code.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:46 AM   #59
Stingo
Fanatic

Got a notice of these posts and got excited that there was a fix for my old Mac. Thanks for the efforts Ghostcast. I'll keep checking.