Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #31
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Not necessarily surprising. The law was voted, but the 'décret d'application' probably has not gone through yet. The FNAC web site has always been much slower to adapt to anything then Amazon's, so I guess changes will come a tad later.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #32
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Checking tonight on the two biggest French eBook sites:

www.fnac.com is abiding by the letter and intent of the new law. You can buy a paper book at full price with free shipping, or at 5 percent off in one of their physical stores.

www.amazon.fr is still selling at 5 percent off with the nose-thumbing shipping fee of 1 centime.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 07-16-2014 at 10:29 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #33
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Checking tonight on the two biggest French eBook sites:

www.fnac.com is abiding by the letter and intent of the new law. You can buy a paper book at full price with free shipping, or at 5 percent off in one of their physical stores.

www.amazon.com is still selling at 5 percent off with the nose-thumbing shipping fee of 1 centime.
Breaking News!

Everyone is obeying the law.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #34
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Breaking News!

Everyone is obeying the law.
How do you know that?

Ninjalawyer said:
Quote:
So in a Common Law jurisdiction, there would be a strong argument that Amazon is complying with the law as written (assuming it unambiguously only restricts no-cost shipping). That said, case law in the UK and Canada is full of situations where courts have gone outside of the plain meaning of the text, even where the text seems unambiguous. There's also the fact that France uses weirdo civil law, which probably has its own particular kinks.
And I know that inte Sweden it is not only the actual text of the law that matters you look at the intent and what was written in works done that lead up to the law text.

So do you actually know how the law works in France? Some people do not write were they live so it is hard to know. But to me it seems to be a lot people here assuming the law must work as in the US.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #35
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSimpson View Post
So the French banned Amazon from doing free shipping of book orders.
To be accurate it's either you do do free shipping OR you apply a 5% discount on books, but not both. And it affects every e-retailer selling books, not only Amazon.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #36
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe it depends what book you check, but this morning Amazon.fr seems to have gone discount-free, while still charging the cent for shipping. So www.fnac.com is, at least momentarily, a centime cheaper. Here is an example:

http://recherche.fnac.com/SearchResu...0&submitbtn=OK

http://www.amazon.fr/En-finir-avec-E...zg_bs_books_38

Could it be the Amazon has decided their policy of a day ago had too much legal or political risk? Or it is just that they periodically change prices? I'll be checking again to see if the discount comes back.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #37
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
How do you know that?

Ninjalawyer said:

And I know that inte Sweden it is not only the actual text of the law that matters you look at the intent and what was written in works done that lead up to the law text.

So do you actually know how the law works in France? Some people do not write were they live so it is hard to know. But to me it seems to be a lot people here assuming the law must work as in the US.
U.S.

It may be that there are places where the "intent" of the law is enforceable, but I don't really consider that to be lawful.

I cannot imagine the horror of living in a place where the "law" is that arbitrarily dependent on whatever the politicians say it is -- and then have it apply retroactively.

If they can explain the intent in court proceedings, they should've used that explanation as the text of the law.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #38
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
If they can explain the intent in court proceedings, they should've used that explanation as the text of the law.
I this case, the intent of the law is to stop Amazon. They can't very well say that can they.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #39
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post
I this case, the intent of the law is to stop Amazon. They can't very well say that can they.

Greg
Then not only shouldn't it be a law, but they cannot explain to the court what the intent is that Amazon violated!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #40
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
U.S.

It may be that there are places where the "intent" of the law is enforceable, but I don't really consider that to be lawful.

I cannot imagine the horror of living in a place where the "law" is that arbitrarily dependent on whatever the politicians say it is -- and then have it apply retroactively.

Different law system works in different ways and have different pros and cons. The advantage to let courts make interpretations is that they then can handle situation that were not predicted. So therefore the laws are not written overly specific and the courts can use the reasoning and motivation for the law when applying it to a new situation.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #41
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer

Amazon Has Stopped Nose Thumbing

Here's Amazon FAQ on the law:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/help/custom...deId=201360370

Here's the law:

http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affich...XT000029210814

Here's what I believe happened:

A law went into effect commonly interpreted as giving businesses that ship books a choice between selling at a 5 percent discount, and offering free shipping. One, or the other -- not both. My high school French isn't good enough for me to offer my own interpretation of the legal text, but this is consistent with what I just wrote:

samhy, Post #35, this thread

and:

http://www.france24.com/en/20140109-...all-retailers/

For the first couple days after the legislation came into effect on 8 July, Amazon indeed both offered the 5 percent discount and shipped at the virtually free price of one Euro cent. The is the nose thumbing of our thread title.

However, several days later, Amazon backed down.

A continuing reminder of Amazon's days of rage last week is the one centime shipping fee. As far as I can see, it's unnecessary by any interpretation of the law, and puts Amazon's price for a shipped book one cent higher than the competition. If my understanding is correct, Amazon will, I predict, drop the one cent charge in coming days.

For years to come, Amazon's French government critics, who do in fact exist, will look back on those few days last week as proof of Amazon's arrogance. But unless I am missing something (and I may, since I'm not sure how Amazon promotions fit with the law ), the middle finger waving is over.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 07-17-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:31 AM   #42
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Here's what I believe happened:

A law went into effect commonly interpreted as giving businesses that ship books a choice between selling at a 5 percent discount, and offering free shipping. One, or the other -- not both. My high school French isn't good enough for me to offer my own interpretation of the legal text, but this is consistent with what I just wrote:

samhy, Post #35, this thread

and:

http://www.france24.com/en/20140109-...all-retailers/
You're right. In France a price book is set by the publisher and the seller has the possibility to offer a 5% discount. No more (that's the Lang law).
When some sellers, including but not limited to Amazon, started free shipping in addition to the 5% discount it has been seen as a bigger discount and one that can't be matched by brick and mortar shops if they don't ship books.
So in the end, this is a way to preserve the independent bookstores.

Those are only facts, not my personal views
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #43
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
I'm not surprised; just the latest example of the French gov meddling in the marketplace to protect their aging books-and-mortar bookstore lobby.

Didn't we see something like this a few months ago?

The public must be all for it if they elected the gov, but, personally, I'd object to it as a "tax on nostalgia"
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:49 AM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
The public must be all for it if they elected the gov, but, personally, I'd object to it as a "tax on nostalgia"
Aptly put
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:29 AM   #45
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Ninjalawyer gave the benefit of his opinion which is generally correct in common law jurisdictions. Intent of the legislature may become relevant in a very limited fashion if it is required to resolve an ambiguity in the wording of the legislation concerned. If there is no ambiguity, the question never arises.

However, Ninjalawyer's comments were limited to Common law jurisdictions, as are my own. France is, of course, a civil law jurisdiction and I am not familiar with its rules of interpretation. I do, however, note eschwartz's comment with approval. That is:

"It may be that there are places where the "intent" of the law is enforceable, but I don't really consider that to be lawful.

If they can explain the intent in court proceedings, they should've used that explanation as the text of the law."
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote