Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #76
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Is the one at work using Vista with UAC enabled, or have some other advanced security enabled? It wouldn't surprise me if that kept one executable calling another. Hard to say, really.

Anyway, I'm glad you figured it out for home at least.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #77
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
My apologies for being a little "slow" today but I'm having a hard time understanding the fit options (2xWidth, 2xHeight, etc.).

All I want to do is cut off the 1" margins around the pdf document so that it's 7.5"x10" for a typical letter sized document. Which fit option do I select to do that?

EDIT: I figured it out (perhaps I should "try" all the options before asking)...like I said, I was a little slow today. Thanks.

Last edited by All4Fun; 05-01-2009 at 11:28 AM.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #78
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun View Post
My apologies for being a little "slow" today but I'm having a hard time understanding the fit options (2xWidth, 2xHeight, etc.).

All I want to do is cut off the 1" margins around the pdf document so that it's 7.5"x10" for a typical letter sized document. Which fit option do I select to do that?
Use the "-m 3" option. This removes the margins for the top and bottom (fits the height) of the PDF document. There will still be margins on the left/right of the document.

Using the "-m 2" option trims the width and concats the height, so you will have the bottom portion of a PDF page show up on the top portion of the next PDF page. I find this confusing to read since I have to find my place on every page turn, instead of just staring at the top of the page.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #79
Linkinsoldier
Enthusiast
Linkinsoldier began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I have a question:

I use many PDFs and i converted them with soPDF. It works just fine. Only problem is, that my Chaptermarks are deleted while converting. Is there a possibility to keep them?

Takes hours to "remark" them later

Thanks,
Linkin
Linkinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #80
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkinsoldier View Post
I have a question:

I use many PDFs and i converted them with soPDF. It works just fine. Only problem is, that my Chaptermarks are deleted while converting. Is there a possibility to keep them?

Takes hours to "remark" them later

Thanks,
Linkin
Yes that is a known issue, I even reported it a way back theGuru's response was that he was aware of this but does not know how to fix it.

I did find a tool that stripped out Bookmarks and restored them. But this was a $200 shareware program... needless to say I've leared to live with the BM limitation. I just add them with a tool called ByCyPDFMetatEdit.

It usually only takes me 5-15 min depending on the number of chapters.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 05-04-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: fixed spelling error
Advert
Old 05-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #81
Linkinsoldier
Enthusiast
Linkinsoldier began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
well thanks. As i made all of my pdfs now, there aren't going to be more soon

Thank you anyway!
Linkinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:55 PM   #82
enarchay
Zealot
enarchay began at the beginning.

Device: none
For some reason, when I try to open the program, it opens for a split second, then immediately closes. I tried opening it repeatedly and this keeps happening. I also tried "Run as Administrator" and that didn't help either. What can I do?
enarchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:32 PM   #83
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by enarchay View Post
For some reason, when I try to open the program, it opens for a split second, then immediately closes. I tried opening it repeatedly and this keeps happening. I also tried "Run as Administrator" and that didn't help either. What can I do?
Do you have the runtime library installed. The instructions is on the first post.

Also this is a command line tool so you have to run this from the command line.

=X=
Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 PM   #84
enarchay
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Do you have the runtime library installed. The instructions is on the first post.
Not sure. I only saw one file attached so that's what I downloaded. Let me re-read it.

Quote:
Also this is a command line tool so you have to run this from the command line.
Is the command line tool the .exe file? Because that's what will not stay opened for me.

EDIT

I just downloaded VC runtime library (this is it, right?) and it's still not working.

Shouldn't the GUI allow me to use this without the command line tool? When I try to use the GUI, and I hit "submit" process my files, the soPdf.exe file flashes up for a split second then disappears - and it doesn't process anything.

Last edited by enarchay; 05-31-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #85
=X=
Wizard

thats it. There is no GUI that comes with the tool. soPDF is a command line only tool. Another member wrote a GUI around the executable. Personally I would get the command line tool before I would start using the GUI.
Open an CMD window and rune the tool.

=X=
Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #86
enarchay
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
thats it. There is no GUI that comes with the tool. soPDF is a command line only tool. Another member wrote a GUI around the executable. Personally I would get the command line tool before I would start using the GUI.
Open an CMD window and rune the tool.

=X=
I was trying to use the GUI, but it won't work because the command line program only opens for a split second and then closes. So, for example, if I hit "process," the command line opens for a split second, but it doesn't process the file since it closes too quickly.

I don't know much about using a command line program. I tried to use it through the CMD window and it wouldn't convert either of the two PDFs I tried - maybe I did something wrong.

I'd rather use the GUI for obvious reasons. But I can't with the error I'm experiencing. What can I do?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #87
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
I was trying to use the GUI, but it won't work because the command line program only opens for a split second and then closes. So, for example, if I hit "process," the command line opens for a split second, but it doesn't process the file since it closes too quickly.

I don't know much about using a command line program. I tried to use it through the CMD window and it wouldn't convert either of the two PDFs I tried - maybe I did something wrong.
Your problems are probably related.

All the GUI does is take the options you give it, and call the commandline program. It doesn't even check the output of the commandline.

I wrote for the GUI, "It's very barebones, and not at all idiot-proofed. (E.g., it does not check to make sure the options make sense, it will not tell you if SoPDF encountered errors, etc.)"

If SoPDF encounters errors when called from the GUI, the command line will open, show the error message, but then close immediately. Not very helpful, I admit, but my goals were very limited when I created the GUI. I was mainly doing it for my own convenience, but I thought I'd share just in case anyone else found it useful.

However, if you run sopdf directly from the commandline, the error message should stay visible. What does it say? What options are you using in particular?

Maybe that'll help us figure out what went wrong, though there are some pdfs. I've just never been able to get it to work right with. I don't know why. I had hoped to look at sopdf's source code at some point, though I've been far too busy.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #88
enarchay
Zealot

Quote:
However, if you run sopdf directly from the commandline, the error message should stay visible. What does it say? What options are you using in particular?
When I try to open the original program (soPdf.exe) by clicking on it, the window opens for a split second and then closes. If I run it through CMD.exe, the list of command functions comes up, and that's it - no error message (that is, until I try to convert a PDF).

I attached a screen cap. It doesn't look that good because I had to print screen really fast before the program closed. As you can see, there doesn't seem to be any errors - yet it closes anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sopdf.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	30164  
Old 06-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #89
frabjous
Wizard

Quote:
If I run it through CMD.exe, the list of command functions comes up, and that's it - no error message (that is, until I try to convert a PDF).
What I want to know is what error message you get when you try to convert a pdf.

E.g., if from CMD, you type:

sopdf -i input.pdf -o output.pdf

(Assuming input.pdf is the file you're trying to convert, and it's in the same directory as sopdf.)

If you just type in SoPdf.exe from CMD, without telling it what file to convert, getting the list of options is perfectly normal. Trying to run SoPdf.exe from within Windows and just having it open for a split second and then close is also perfectly normal.

When you spoke of the "GUI" earlier, did you mean the sopdfwin.exe file I posted? Or did you just mean trying to click on sopdf.exe and getting the screen to flash?

Last edited by frabjous; 06-01-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #90
enarchay
Zealot

Okay, I just renamed a PDF "input.pdf." It's in the same folder as sopdf.exe (\PDF).

I tried:

Desktop\PDF\sopdf -i input.pdf -o output.pdf

(Because it starts with: C:Users\Me>)

It didn't work. It says, "Cannot open file for reading. No such file or directory."

So then I tried:

Desktop\PDF\sopdf -i C:Users\Me\Desktop\PDF\input.pdf -o C:Users\Me\Desktop\PDF\output.pdf

That didn't work either.

So then I tried:

sopdf -i input.pdf -o output.pdf

Nope. "sopdf is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or bath file."

Quote:
When you spoke of the "GUI" earlier, did you mean the sopdfwin.exe file I posted? Or did you just mean trying to click on sopdf.exe and getting the screen to flash?
I meant sopdfwin.exe. It doesn't process the files - and I think it's because sopdf.exe closes immediately after it opens. For example, if I process a file, sopdf.exe opens for a split second then closes, then sopdfwin.exe says "Process another file?" - when it didn't process the first file.