Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
New 6.8 inch eReader from Onyx now available in the US

The 6.8 inch Onyx Boox T68 is now available for sale on Amazon.

There is an older thread on this device over on the Onyx forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=225652&page=9

The Digital Reader included a brief description here:

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...99/#more-69189

It is an Android 4 device with the ability to run some Android apps, has buttons to page with as well as touch screen, a front light and more. At $199 it is a bit more expensive than the Kobo Aura HD with the same size screen but no native support for Android apps.

The Amazon page is here: http://www.amazon.com/Onyx-BOOX-T68-...=onyx+boox+t68
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I might have to get one of these. One reason I like reading on my Nexus is because I don't have to reformat in Calibre to be able to have it look like I want - Moon+ Pro has a lot of formatting options. When I used my PRS 950 I had to add my preferred fonts, resize the fonts, and change justification to left. I also needed a light most of the time.

This has a light and I can install Calibre Companion so I can have my whole library easily managed on it. I also won't be spending a lot of time surfing the web or in Tapatalk reading forums. But my time in forums does count as reading, right?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I wonder if it will run Scribd?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I wonder if it will run Scribd?
It looks like Nate is still answering questions on his blog about his device (no one asked about scribd yet) maybe you could ask there too. http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...ived/#comments
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
Janet54
Connoisseur
Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Voyage, Fire HDX, Fire Phone, Galaxy Note 8,10.9
I am very interested in this for Scribd. I asked the question. Hoping it will work.
Janet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Report back here when he answers, please. It would be great if it works, although I will not be getting one.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #7
Janet54
Connoisseur
Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Voyage, Fire HDX, Fire Phone, Galaxy Note 8,10.9
Wow, He answered quickly and yes it works!
Here is what he said
"It installs, and I tested it with one of the user uploaded docs. It worked.
Janet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:33 AM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I'll have one waiting for me Friday. Really looking forward to playing with it.

As for it being 'more expensive than Kobo Aura HD', IMO this has a lot more going for it because of audio/TTS capability, page turn buttons, the ability to run most if not all Android reading apps, Dropbox etc., Google Play, BlueTooth (probably supporting both audio and external keyboard/mouse). For just $30 more. For sure you can get a lot more in an android tablet for $200 but this is to compare apples and oranges.

It appears that Audible app can be told to use SD card for storage (assuming it will run).

I'm curious if they have seen fit to include Android accessibility features (explore by touch etc.) and if a headset with mic works (for voice search, skype, etc.).

I am happy without page turn buttons but it will be interesting to have them again for the first time since I stopped using my Kindle Keyboard. I've pre-tested a number of reading apps on my Android tablet and it looks like those should work with everything but Kobo and Nook apps (which I'm not planning to use).

Last edited by tomsem; 06-25-2014 at 04:40 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:37 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The biggest weakness I've found in "non-mainstream" reading devices is the lack of decent commercial-quality dictionaries. Is this device supplied with good dictionaries (Oxford, etc)?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #10
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The biggest weakness I've found in "non-mainstream" reading devices is the lack of decent commercial-quality dictionaries. Is this device supplied with good dictionaries (Oxford, etc)?

Absolutely agree and I hope somebody once makes reader with good dictionary. In my experience so far, only Amazon has done it. Apple also has good dictionary but then they don't have eink reader....
I don't know if Kobo is mainstream, but their dictionary is
I can't even buy one (OED lets say) and put it on Kobo, which I would be more than ready to do.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Well, since it is essentially an eink android tablet it has whatever dictionaries the user-installed apps support. Add the Kindle reader app, get the Kindle dictiinaries--add Kobo, get theirs...

You can also add some of the dictionary apps and whatever book apps are usable with eink grayscale and refresh rates.

The price sounds about right for what it offers.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:45 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Well, since it is essentially an eink android tablet it has whatever dictionaries the user-installed apps support. Add the Kindle reader app, get the Kindle dictiinaries--add Kobo, get theirs...

You can also add some of the dictionary apps and whatever book apps are usable with eink grayscale and refresh rates.

The price sounds about right for what it offers.
That's certainly a good point. I was thinking more about the built-in apps, but you're right - being able to install the Kindle App, etc, certainly drastically improves the dictionary situation.

It's selling for €179 in the EU, which seems reasonable enough for what it is. I'm quite tempted by it myself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

It does look very nice. I am looking forward to more reviews.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:

It's selling for €179 in the EU, which seems reasonable enough for what it is. I'm quite tempted by it myself.
Me, too.
I'm in no immediate need but if the reports on build quality and system stability prove positive I could see myself getting one. Especially now that the Kindle app has near-feature parity with the PW2.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=240825

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-25-2014 at 08:36 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #15
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
This looks really tempting. I wish there was a magical way to justify it to wife
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote