Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Then copy the Nexus 7 and put a card slot in it. Then price it at $199 for 16GB and $249 for 32GB.
No need for a card slot for us nexus 7 owners as we have a great App of our own these days that allows access to USB memory sticks,memory card readers and portable hard drives. it can read all 3 of the most important formats NTFS , FAT 16, FAT32.

And best of all it costs less than $4 for the Nexus Media Importer App & OTG cable
When im outside i have 73GB of USABLE total storage to enjoy with my nexus 7+ 64GB SANDISK ultra USB memory stick.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en

I can hook up my samsung 500GB portable hard drive or a assortment of 4 other USB Memory sticks and card readers and enjoy unlimited storage.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189464
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	92232  

Last edited by darksaber35; 09-13-2012 at 03:00 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
No need for a card slot for us nexus 7 owners as we have a great App of our own these days that allows access to USB memory sticks,memory card readers and portable hard drives. it can read all 3 of the most important formats NTFS , FAT 16, FAT32.

And best of all it costs less than $4 for the Nexus Media Importer App & OTG cable
When im outside i have 73GB of total storage to enjoy with my nexus 7+ 64GB SANDISK ultra USB memory stick.

I can hook up my samsung 500GB portable hard drive or a assortment of 4 other USB Memory sticks and card readers and enjoy unlimited storage.

Very cool. Theoretically this should work for any Android based tablet with micro-USB, including the original Fire, provided you have the App and cable.

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-12-2012 at 03:10 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Not interested in a cable hanging off my device to make it functional.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #19
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Very cool. Theoretically this should work for any Android based tablet with micro-USB, including the original Fire, provided you have the App and cable.
It does work for a small number of other devices but not the kindle fire as there is NO usb HOST support in it. Even custom ROMS that you can install when you ROOT the device have very limited access to USB devices like keyboards.

nexus media importer
Works: Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus ,Motorola zoom
Works with conflict: Samsung S3 (several), Archos G9 (me)
Does Not Work: Toshiba Thrive, Nexus S
Reported Not Working: HTC One X (1 report)

There is one thing that amazon is good at (NOT Operating systems thats for sure) is that there consistent ,so i would be surprised if they had USB hosting for the new Kindle fire HD Media Player so you could NOT connect anything remotely useful to the Kindle fire HD.

Last edited by darksaber35; 09-12-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #20
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
It does work for a small number of other devices but not the kindle fire as there is NO usb HOST support in it. Even custom ROMS that you can install when you ROOT the device have very limited access to USB devices like keyboards.

nexus media importer
Works: Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus ,Motorola zoom
Works with conflict: Samsung S3 (several), Archos G9 (me)
Does Not Work: Toshiba Thrive, Nexus S
Reported Not Working: HTC One X (1 report)

There is one thing that amazon is good at (NOT Operating systems thats for sure) is that there consistent ,so i would be surprised if they had USB hosting for the new Kindle fire HD Media Player so you could NOT connect anything remotely useful to the Kindle fire HD.

Good information. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #21
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:

When im outside i have 73GB of total storage to enjoy with my nexus 7+ 64GB SANDISK ultra USB memory stick.

The link didn't work, but I think I found one that does -- Nexus Media Importer.

This is great! I'm getting it for my phone (Galaxy Nexus).
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Pretty sure I'll be getting a Fire HD. Even with the lag.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think they will fix the lag before too long, perhaps by the time the 8.9"s ship.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #24
darksaber35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
The link didn't work, but I think I found one that does -- Nexus Media Importer.

This is great! I'm getting it for my phone (Galaxy Nexus).
Just be careful when choosing your OTG cable as theres so many out there & plenty partly or don't work at all.

Its best to read through a few reviews and buy the cable that reviews have left for your device.It takes a bit more time but saves you money buying a dud cable.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...axy+Nexus+otg+
Old 09-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #25
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
$349 - Amazon? What Amazon?
$299 - Our quality speaks for itself.
$249 - Hey, Amazon! Bring it on!
$199 - Amazon, Google, Toys-R-Us, you're all dead. You hear me? DEAD! Bwa-hah-hah!
Thanks for this. This made me laugh!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #26
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
A less-than-favorable first look over at Ars T -- http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/...chance-of-lag/
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #27
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

More seriously, they like to price their entry-level products relatively high in order to nudge consumers to stretch their budget and go for the mid-range version once they start thinking Apple. It's good marketing strategy. But that strategy says $349 for the mini.

Which makes the pricing of the mini (if it really exists) a good indicator of how seriously Apple takes Amazon in the tablet space. (How *they* review it internally.)

That is:
$349 - Amazon? What Amazon?
$299 - Our quality speaks for itself.
$249 - Hey, Amazon! Bring it on!
$199 - Amazon, Google, Toys-R-Us, you're all dead. You hear me? DEAD! Bwa-hah-hah!
I agree with this analysis 100% $199 is "I'll buy two iPads" territory. But I do think it's way too low for Apple. $249 is probably the most aggressive realistic price...and even that may be too low for a 7.85" tablet that will be 40% larger than a 7" tablet.

I also kind of suspect that people may be less picky about certain aspects of 7" tablet than they are about either larger tablets or iphones. Everyone needs a good screen, of course - but they may not care as much about lag on a small budget tablet they way that they would on a more expensive cellphone or full-size tablet.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #28
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Of course, a 199 price point would also mean "iPad maxi, you're dead!". So it will never happen. And even at 249 they could kiss the years of good profits goodbye. They are not that desperate yet, perhaps in a year or two they will be. So the safest bets are 349 or 399.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #29
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Of course, a 199 price point would also mean "iPad maxi, you're dead!". So it will never happen. And even at 249 they could kiss the years of good profits goodbye. They are not that desperate yet, perhaps in a year or two they will be. So the safest bets are 349 or 399.
While I agree that $349-399 is the most likely price point--what with the new iPod Touch at $299--Apple going low wouldn't be a measure of desperation, just highly aggressive. And not likely to impact the larger model, if nothing else, because of the XGA resolution. If it exists, the Mini specs will be more like the original iPad to prevent canibalization and drive costs low (or margins high).

If I were whispering "evil" thoughts in Mr Cook's ear, I would suggest the device not be called an iPad Mini but rather iBook and that it link to a separate store built around the books and media with only a few reading and gaming apps. No competing ebook apps. And then price it at $249 with a voucher for free ebooks.

It really depends on how highly Apple think of the FireHD9 and how much they think it might impact the full-size iPad. Especially the LTE model. The two companies are headed for a collision at some point and Amazon is clearly baiting Apple but it's not automatic that they'll take it.

It'll be interesting to see what things are going to look like by November, after the Mini shows up (if it exists) and after B&N makes its play and the WinTabs start showing up. Which is why I'm going to wait, despite being really intrigued by the FireHD9 as an ebook reader.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:47 AM   #30
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Hmm, MiniPad or MaxiPad ..., well, kindle my fire.
Luckily once a month I'm used to this conundrum, I will have no problem making the right choice.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote