Notices

Old 11-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
pixiepurls
pixiepurls began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Free (while under development)

Sneaky Sneaky!

link

Q: What are wireless features and corresponding charges? So, are there any other charges beyond what I pay for books, newspapers, magazines and blogs?
A: Here's a breakdown:
- Shopping and downloading from the Kindle Store: FREE
- Wireless delivery via e-mail of personal documents to Kindle: ($.10 per attached document).
- Experimental Basic Web: This feature is currently FREE while under development.
- Experimental NowNow: This feature is currently FREE while under development
pixiepurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepurls View Post
Sneaky Sneaky!
I don't think that's sneaky. It's honest and up-front. The wireless access costs real money and they don't know how much to expect. So they will let it evolve and see where it takes them.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepurls View Post
Sneaky Sneaky!

link

Q: What are wireless features and corresponding charges? So, are there any other charges beyond what I pay for books, newspapers, magazines and blogs?
A: Here's a breakdown:
- Shopping and downloading from the Kindle Store: FREE
- Wireless delivery via e-mail of personal documents to Kindle: ($.10 per attached document).
- Experimental Basic Web: This feature is currently FREE while under development.
- Experimental NowNow: This feature is currently FREE while under development
That is not the full breakdown.

WikiPedia is also free and there may be more.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
How can it be sneaky if those facts are in most of the articles and reviews about the Kindle?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Nate, "My life truly began at 11:31am on 20 November 2007." That's a serious statement and I assume it's when you got your Kindle. It's really that good?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Nate, "My life truly began at 11:31am on 20 November 2007." That's a serious statement and I assume it's when you got your Kindle. It's really that good?
It's mostly meant as a joke. I'm still on the "New Gadget" high. Ask me in a month. By that time I can usually admit to myself the flaws in the new device.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
pixiepurls

OMG Nate, your so RIGHT!!!
Old 11-24-2007, 12:01 PM   #8
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
That is not the full breakdown.

WikiPedia is also free and there may be more.
Yeah, there is also the USB->Kindle tranfser interface, the free.kindle.com conversion service, and the restore service (recover your books and notations). But mentioning those wouldn't help him frame his argument.
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
ajju
Veteran mobile reader
ajju began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1.0
I think pixie makes an important point. Maybe it's not sneaky because they never promised free internet for life but until I read this quote from them I did assume that. I am sure many others did. If they are going to start charging an undetermined amount for Internet access very soon then that makes the $400 price a little more difficult to swallow. I say this having already swallowed it though :P
ajju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajju View Post
I think pixie makes an important point. Maybe it's not sneaky because they never promised free internet for life but until I read this quote from them I did assume that. I am sure many others did. If they are going to start charging an undetermined amount for Internet access very soon then that makes the $400 price a little more difficult to swallow. I say this having already swallowed it though :P
Actually with just the stuff they've guaranteed for free, I found the price reasonable considering I'm paying a premium for the new display technology. I'm ok with the idea that full web browsing is "experimental" as they say. I'm glad that they're giving it a shot to see if it's supportable rather than playing it safe and assuming the worst case scenario. It actually treats us like we're rational adults engaged in this process rather than children who will pout if there are no more lollypops.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #11
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajju View Post
I think you'll find the price of the browser service very nominal as they want you to be happy with the device and of course, buy books, newspapers, mags and blogs. They're not expecting to sell these just for the internet.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
pixiepurls

ajju you understand me perfectly!