Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #20596
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next up is The Dispossessed for the August Book Club.
I finished The Dispossessed on the 20th and then promptly left for a few days on vacation, still need to get my thoughts in order for that. I did enjoy it though. Definitely a product of its time in the midst of the cold war.

While on vacation I managed to barely start Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey. The first Zane Grey book I have ever read, possibly the first western I have ever read. Something new and I am not sure what to expect. I am about 1/2 way through so far and it has been pretty good but a little too straightforward.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #20597
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
While on vacation I managed to barely start Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey. The first Zane Grey book I have ever read, possibly the first western I have ever read. Something new and I am not sure what to expect. I am about 1/2 way through so far and it has been pretty good but a little too straightforward.
You might be interested in the Riders of the Purple Sage thread from a while back once you have finished it.

Last edited by orlok; 08-27-2014 at 01:53 PM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #20598
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Finished "Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety" by Eric Schlosser. This book was a finalist for the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for History and for the Lionel Gelber Prize.

It is really two books interleaved, one about a near thermonuclear disaster at a ICBM site near Little Rock in 1980, and the other a history of U.S. planning and deployment for nuclear warfare. The first provided a human counterpoint to the other and made it very readable, much more so than the average history book.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #20599
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now for Medics Wild! by Darrell Bain. A freebie from Fictionwise, also from 15 Sep 2004. Fictionalised Vietnam war by a veteran medic.
An odd mix of humour and tragedy.

Next: Into the Hinterlands by David Drake and John Lambshead

One of the back catalogue I bought from Baen in July. I like both their individual works, it will be interesting to see what they do together, although I suspect it's more plot provided by David Drake and writing by John Lambshead rather than a full collaboration.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #20600
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I suspect it's more plot provided by David Drake and writing by John Lambshead rather than a full collaboration.
That's a pretty common practice at Baen. It's kind of like an apprenticeship; the established guy writes the outline, then passes it to a new (or newish) author for the actual writing.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #20601
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Fate decided to play nice and deliver Skulduggery Pleasant: The Dying of the Light by Derek Landy into my greedy hands a day early, so that's what I spent eight straight hours on today.

This was not the kind of book I could just put down and go to sleep.

And.... Whoah. I'm terribly sad the series is over now - this was the ninth and final book - but it was an excellent ending, full of twists and turns and heartbreak and ... overall, a really fitting send-off to what started out as "oh, this is a fun children's series" and turned, over the course of five years, into my favourite series of all time. (And yes, I'm a grown-up. I'm not going to feel guilty about it. )

I feel rather bereft now, though. Don't think I'll feel up to reading anything else for the next week or few - especially as I'll be travelling to the UK next week, to get my books signed by Derek.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:29 AM   #20602
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Today I completed reading The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy #1) by Charlie N. Holmberg. I discovered that it deals with a quite unusual premise that requires a reader to really suspend their disbelief, which I was able to do, but only the protagonist is a fully rounded character, enough for the reader to really care about. Still, for me anyway, it was a quite enjoyable read.

Now on to Mr. Mercedes (Unnamed Trilogy #1) by Stephen King (one of my all-time 3 favorite authors).
I just finished reading Mr. Mercedes and, like all Stephen King novels I've read before it, I found it quite engrossing and highly entertaining.

I just began reading Raisins And Almonds (Phryne Fisher #9) by Kerry Greenwood.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:36 AM   #20603
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I just finished reading Mr. Mercedes and, like all Stephen King novels I've read before it, I found it quite engrossing and highly entertaining.

I just began reading Raisins And Almonds (Phryne Fisher #9) by Kerry Greenwood.

Your reading tastes seems to be diametrically opposite to mine. This can be very useful. I'd know at least what to avoid,
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #20604
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Sounds like you both are making the best of a bad read. Maybe you both should quit before you begin wasting valuable reading time.
I didn't say it was bad. I am enjoying the story or I would have stopped. It's just a bit slow at parts. I've head many people say book 3 was the best. We'll see. I'm about 3 chapters into book 3. So far, so good.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #20605
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I didn't say it was bad. I am enjoying the story or I would have stopped. It's just a bit slow at parts. I've head many people say book 3 was the best. We'll see. I'm about 3 chapters into book 3. So far, so good.
Well I'm glad you're a reasonable reader. Many people, however, find the glass half full even when it is empty.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #20606
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Finished "A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal" by Ben Macintyre (Double Cross, Operation Mincemeat).

The story of how Kim Philby as the consummate insider was able over a period of more than 20 years to betray so many British and American intelligence secrets and black ops to the Soviets.

There is an afterword by John le Carré which describes conversations he had with one of the principals (Elliott).

Last edited by bfisher; 08-28-2014 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added content
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:08 AM   #20607
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
No, this isn't a picture thread, nor is it the Lounge, but you can't say this is off-topic. I just saw this on Facebook and thought I'd share.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409292476.906267.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	127429
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #20608
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
No, this isn't a picture thread, nor is it the Lounge, but you can't say this is off-topic. I just saw this on Facebook and thought I'd share.
I can't tell what it's reading, so that cat's got a lot to learn about becoming an active participant on MR.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #20609
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I haven't posted here in awhile! I read Book of Life, the last in Deborah Harkness' "All Souls" trilogy. I enjoyed it but the best book is still the second, Shadow of Night.

I also read Magician's Land by Lev Grossman. This was another end of a trilogy and I loved it. It was a perfect ending, I thought.

I also read a few graphic novel series, Hellboy, Saga, and Sweetooth. Hellboy was the best but all were good. I really enjoyed Sweet Tooth and I wasn't sure I would. It took me awhile to warm up to the art but I ended up really appreciating it.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #20610
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I haven't posted here in awhile! I read Book of Life, the last in Deborah Harkness' "All Souls" trilogy. I enjoyed it but the best book is still the second, Shadow of Night.

I also read Magician's Land by Lev Grossman. This was another end of a trilogy and I loved it. It was a perfect ending, I thought.

I also read a few graphic novel series, Hellboy, Saga, and Sweetooth. Hellboy was the best but all were good. I really enjoyed Sweet Tooth and I wasn't sure I would. It took me awhile to warm up to the art but I ended up really appreciating it.
The last graphic novel I read was The Picture of Dorian Gray (Marvel Illustrated) by Oscar Wilde, Roy Thomas, and Sebastian Fiumara, and it was utterly fantastic as well as extremely faithful to the 1891 version. That the Marvel edition was a hardcover with an attractive cover was a bonus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81JcGSOCRiL.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	127450  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote