Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 02:41 AM   #16
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
I like it! Looks better than the Iliad I couldn't afford it, for sure, but it looks promising.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:08 AM   #17
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
It is targeted at business users and offers features such as data encryption.
The price premium reflects these extra features that would not be of interest to someone who just want to read books.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:55 AM   #18
Bushcat
Bushcat began at the beginning.

Device: none
4 grey scales, 1200x825 pixels (150 dpi), can hold 10,000 pages on a 2GB MicroSD card, replaceable Li-Ion battery, battery life 83 hours/5000 page turns, weighs 600 grams, screen life 370,000 pages/5 years, ready to use within 5 seconds of turning on. Unless I read wrong, of course.
Bushcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:33 AM   #19
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dalliard View Post
It is targeted at business users and offers features such as data encryption.
The price premium reflects these extra features that would not be of interest to someone who just want to read books.
and encryption is worth a grand more? But this is Brother and not like they have much history of great trend setting products. Maybe typewriters but not since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushcat View Post
4 grey scales, 1200x825 pixels (150 dpi), can hold 10,000 pages on a 2GB MicroSD card, replaceable Li-Ion battery, battery life 83 hours/5000 page turns, weighs 600 grams, screen life 370,000 pages/5 years, ready to use within 5 seconds of turning on. Unless I read wrong, of course.
So around $300 per yr over the estimated lifespan or these devices. Still not understanding the price. I suspect there must be more to it. It will be interesting to follow for sure.

Don't get me wrong, we need more of these things. but a $1400 price tag is not going to cause businesses to open their already thread bare cupboards over the next few years. There is also the overhead of introducing the device into your corporate ecosystem which costs a lot more than the devices. I just do not see a positive ROI from a business stand point given the rumored feature set. Other devices will fit the bill for a lot less.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #20
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
1500$? No, thank you.
You're too polite. I would have expressed myself thus:

$1500? Have they fallen on their stupid heads?

That's the price I recently got for a used car.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #21
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I cant see that anybody will buy this when sony and amazon releases their 9.7 inch devices, as they most likely will.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #22
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
So is the screen an actual Vizplex-branded product? That would make it the forerunner for Sony and Amazon's next!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:30 AM   #23
Bushcat
Bushcat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Brother...Maybe typewriters but not since then
Actually Brother do a lot of stuff: printers, sewing machines, scanners, labelers, industrial garment printing and much more. They also own Pentax Mobile Solutions, which is where I'm guessing this reader started its life.

Brother is only expecting sales of 5000 units in the first year, hence the high price. If you want sticker shock, the Toppan/Fujitsu thing was originally $7000. The consumer competition for eReaders in Japan is probably the cellphone: cellphone-based novels are making lots of cash right now.
Bushcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #24
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushcat View Post
Brother is only expecting sales of 5000 units in the first year, hence the high price.
With $1.500 price tag their expectations are doomed. They will consider themselves lucky if they manage to sell a couple of hundreds of them.

Last edited by astra; 03-15-2009 at 08:42 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #25
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, if they have smart research & market analysts, they should be reading this thread and repricing the thing!

Wait until Apple's 10" tablet comes out... a combo of iPod Touch and netbook, with touch screen, ebook wifi-3G access, e-mail, video, browsing, etc. and for much less than $1500! That'll be the end of this Brother foray!

I've always had a mixed reaction to their products... we have one of their laser printers and it does some things very well, but others quite poorly or idiosyncratically. But it sure beats the HP multi-function inkjet it replaced!
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #26
Fetterbr
Fetterbr began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hey, i am buing one unit now for 15000 Jen around 160 USD, maybe you got a ZERO to much.
Fetterbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #27
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetterbr View Post
Hey, i am buing one unit now for 15000 Jen around 160 USD, maybe you got a ZERO to much.
Hi Fetterbr, could you please give more details on this?
thanks
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 AM   #28
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I would be interested to see if Brother bundles any "enterprise" document management solutions with this. There is definitely a market for something like that. A good sturdy reader with reliable encryption that hooks up into an enteprise wide document repository (such as SharePoint).
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:43 AM   #29
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
Hi Fetterbr, could you please give more details on this?
thanks
Yeah, I'm keen to find out how he went with the 0's. Judging by the lack of follow-up I guess not too good .
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote