Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #316
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've said this for eBooks and I'll now say it for DVD. This is a gray area and will be until there is a legal ruling in a court of law. FAIR USE was in place before DMCA. There is nothing at all legally that says that DMCA trumps Fair Use. So unless it's ruled in a court of law, it may very well not be illegal to do what HarryT is doing. IT's not black & white. Please don't go quoting the DMCA saying that's how it is, because that's not how it is.

Do you know 100% that Fair Use is trumped by DMCA? I don't and I dont know anyone else who does know. So get this in front of a court of law and then we'll know. But for now, it's not valid to quote the DMCA and say that's being done is illegal.
Jon, I am stating there is a law on the books. That's different from there being no law on the books. The fact that the law exists has a chilling effect on the public, at least to some extent. Isn't that a rational interpretation of the current situation?

Hollywood is happy with the chilling effect without adjudication, it costs them nothing further. Besides, in a court case, they might lose. Or win.

But from an individual's viewpoint, it increases the legal risk from zero to above zero, no matter how low you may want to put it. (I concur it's very low today, but who knows what sort of hissy fit Hollywood might have tomorrow?)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #317
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
But from an individual's viewpoint, it increases the legal risk from zero to above zero, no matter how low you may want to put it. (I concur it's very low today, but who knows what sort of hissy fit Hollywood might have tomorrow?)
... if nothing else, then due to the fact that lawsuits can be expensive even if you win.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #318
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Jon, I am stating there is a law on the books. That's different from there being no law on the books. The fact that the law exists has a chilling effect on the public, at least to some extent. Isn't that a rational interpretation of the current situation?

Hollywood is happy with the chilling effect without adjudication, it costs them nothing further. Besides, in a court case, they might lose. Or win.

But, the legalities of that law are unknown. So don't say it's 100% correct. It either is or is not. Fair Use could still trump the DMCA. Unless there is a court case, nothing is clear.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #319
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Regional restrictions are an attempt to create artificial scarcity, to cynically try to increase monetary value by offering less product.
Regional restrictions were in place a long time before the internet. The intent was for a publisher to be able to sell printing rights in other countries/regions. The restrictions ensured the foreign publisher of an exclusive market in their region. This allowed more books to be more widely available in foreign markets, not making them scarcer. pricing depended on the market in the country the books were published in and wasn't cranked up AFAIK for foreign books.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #320
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Regional restrictions were in place a long time before the internet. The intent was for a publisher to be able to sell printing rights in other countries/regions. The restrictions ensured the foreign publisher of an exclusive market in their region. This allowed more books to be more widely available in foreign markets, not making them scarcer. pricing depended on the market in the country the books were published in and wasn't cranked up AFAIK for foreign books.

Helen
Exclusive markets make books more available? I guess by decreasing competition.-)
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #321
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:

Helen
It doesn't really matter how long they have been around or why they were put in place in the first place. What matters today is what effect they have today.

Today they are nothing more than a tool to create artificial scarcity. At least in the realm of digital content.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #322
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, the legalities of that law are unknown. So don't say it's 100% correct. It either is or is not. Fair Use could still trump the DMCA. Unless there is a court case, nothing is clear.
It's 100% that the law has been passed. It's not 100% that the law would pass Constitutional muster...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:15 AM   #323
U2Bono269
Connoisseur
U2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad Air 2
I don't want to get into the piracy debate here, but after reading this thread it seems obvious that there's a bigger problem.

Media companies (companies that make and distribute books, film, music), have not found a way to adequately deal with the internet and digital media as a whole. As a person who no longer uses physical media at all, it's difficult for me to get what I'm looking for. Until a better method of distributing digital media is found, these issues will grow.
U2Bono269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:10 AM   #324
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Bono269 View Post
I don't want to get into the piracy debate here, but after reading this thread it seems obvious that there's a bigger problem.

Media companies (companies that make and distribute books, film, music), have not found a way to adequately deal with the internet and digital media as a whole. As a person who no longer uses physical media at all, it's difficult for me to get what I'm looking for. Until a better method of distributing digital media is found, these issues will grow.
I think that the media distributers are dealing at least adequately. I can usually buy what I want to buy in the way of media far easier than I could buy physical copies way back when.

Sure there are (to me)minor inconveniences and glitches in the system(s). But it all seems to be at least adequate? Maybe I am misunderstanding your meaning.

Helen
Old 08-01-2014, 04:09 AM   #325
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I think that the media distributers are dealing at least adequately. I can usually buy what I want to buy in the way of media far easier than I could buy physical copies way back when.

Sure there are (to me)minor inconveniences and glitches in the system(s). But it all seems to be at least adequate? Maybe I am misunderstanding your meaning.

Helen
Are you from US or UK? That would explain your perspective.
Rest of the world isnt that simple.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #326
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
There are other places?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #327
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Canada which is not nearly as simple and or as cheap as the US but certainly better than adequate.

Perhaps it is the English language speaking portion of the world that it is adequate in. I do know that in some countries it is more difficult/expensive to buy anything online, and in some English speaking, but this is not at all limited to media. Perhaps businesses in many countries are to entrenched in traditional sales or are unwilling to go out on a limb and compete.

The post I was replying to specified media distributers as being at fault. Are their many countries that you can buy most things online easily except for media?

Helen