Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #571
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
I'm using png file installed by nightly build. Mine KoboLauncher does not have Koreader launch. Should it?

Last edited by stasys; 09-15-2013 at 03:14 PM.
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #572
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
I'm using png file installed by nightly build. Mine KoboLauncher does not have Koreader launch. Should it?
No, not unless you put it there, but doing it that way has resulted in the problem with loss of touch function. Does Koreader function normally without the sleep.zip applied?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #573
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Yes, it does. Just when I'm exiting it, reader restart, but maybe that is normal.
Also Koreader does nothing when I'm entering page number - I can enter the number, but any other key except Cancel does nothing.

Last edited by stasys; 09-15-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #574
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I don't know what differences there may be between the Glo frontlight and the AuraHD frontlight, nor do I understand why the light switch is involved, in any case. I guess that there is a requirement to turn off the frontlight, if it is on, when you want to go into sleep mode. Why the touch events aren't being detected or acted upon is a puzzle. How it could be a problem for the Glo but not for the AuraHD, is another.

Glo users may just have to wait for the official suspend function to be implemented, Giorgio has said that he was close and was just waiting for the next firmware update.

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #575
stasys
Zealot

Ok, let's wait
Old 09-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #576
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
Yes, it does. Just when I'm exiting it, reader restart, but maybe that is normal.
Also Koreader does nothing when I'm entering page number - I can enter the number, but any other key except Cancel does nothing.
Yeah, I only got the "Go To" function working on a build that Giorgio put up on the first page of this thread, then removed because of other problems.

It is not working, or I'm doing something wrong.
Also in build 514

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-16-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #577
Fabry
Enthusiast
Fabry doesn't litterFabry doesn't litter

Device: AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
Rapid test with build 504.

Good:
Landscape mode seems to work now
All three margin settings work properly (with pdf)

No Good:
Rendering errors on text buttons (errors since b.502, 494 was ok) when text is rendered on gray background. Text on highlighted menu buttons is not clear and a bit hard to read.
On CBZ only two levels of margin working, Large has no effect (as before was for pdf)
Koreader seems slower and with more lag (especially with cbz)
Rapid test with build 514:

Good:
Rendering errors on text buttons dissappeared.
Seems faster (or placebo effect)

No Good:
Landscape mode not working (sometime crashes)
Lost touchscreen during a view of cbz (in landscape). Forced reset with button.
No more grayed text for already read area during pages scroll (with a tap)

I revert to 504

EDIT
Landscape mode crashes are not very frequent like build 502 and before.
They happen more rarely but they happen
I have had 3 crashes in 20 min of usage with build 514 and zero with build 504 and hours of usage.

Last edited by Fabry; 09-17-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Fabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #578
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike76 View Post
Editing those .css files is not enough to change global settings (font size/font face/gamma index) for all file types. You have to edit the .lua files in 'frontend/ui/reader/' directory, but it is not really the easy way.

However, editing 'frontend/ui/reader/readerfont.lua' file you can modify 'font_face', 'font_size', 'line_space_percent' and 'gamma_index' default values - and this is more than nothing...
But they look to be the same as those listed in Koreader's "Set render style"
menu option. With the addition of "clear all external styles" and "Auto". It would seem likely that you could add your own .css to the Data folder and have it appear on the list. Or you could just modify an existing one. Most such things work on a "last applied" principle.

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #579
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
But they look to be the same as those listed in Koreader's "Set render style"
menu option. With the addition of "clear all external styles" and "Auto". It would seem likely that you could add your own .css to the Data folder and have it appear on the list. Or you could just modify an existing one. Most such things work on a "last applied" principle.
You are right, but the main problem (and I think it's an issue of recent Koreader versions) that automatic assigning of the proper .css by file type/extension doesn't work, so you have to set the render style (css type) for every single book.
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #580
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
Rapid test with build 514:
No Good:
No more grayed text for already read area during pages scroll (with a tap)
In defaults.lua there is a new line:
DSHOWOVERLAP = false

Change it to 'true' and you get your grayed out text back.

I've been reading now for hours on 514. No crash, but I do start with extra lines in koreader_kobo.sh. I did try to enlarge the memorycache (DGLOBAL_CACHE_SIZE = 1024*1024*10) and the amount of pages for hinting (DHINTCOUNT = 2), but they made koreader slower.

Lovely feature is that the dictionary lookup has horizontal and vertical functionality. Vertically you can change pages in the same dictionary entry. Horizontally you change between entries in multiple dictionaries. Greatly enabling the chance of getting a right entry!

Last edited by Markismus; 09-18-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #581
Fabry
Enthusiast
Fabry doesn't litterFabry doesn't litter

Device: AuraHD
Tried build 521.

Koreadeader crashes as soon as landscape mode is selected.

I revert to 504 (the only one with a stable landscape mode)
Fabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #582
davros
davros began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v.1 and Kobo Aura HD
Thumbs up koreader dev

I've just installed koreader. I'm astonished at the brilliant text reflow on academic pdfs! Many thanks to those developing and porting the various bits and pieces.

Re: nightly build 521

I also have crashes as Fabry describes switching to landscape mode on an Aura HD 2.8.1 firmware (immediate crash and reboot with 521 and 514, after a few page turns with 504 - didn't test older; additions to koreader_kobo.sh suggested by Markismus post #540 from cgm999 did not resolve this).

The light switches on when starting KO Reader

The device seems to reboot on exit.

Re: highlighting pdfs. This happens to be top of my feature request list.

It is implemented and works perfectly when no zoom or reflow is applied. But highlights before and after reflow are not compatible with different views. Reading A4 or US Letter 2 column pdf documents without zooming is tough on an e-reader.

I need to get my highlighted text out of the device so I had a look at the .lua files containing metadata e.g.
.kobo/koreader/history/[#mnt#sd#] Name of document.pdf.lua
(I have a few crude scripts on the way to get the bookmarks and text out)

I noticed without zoom or reflow, the co-ordinates make sense (they describe a rectangle around text in ptt units) and the text is recorded in a separate field. But with re-flow, the coordinates are somehow translated and text is not recorded.

Feature request: translate coordinates from text re-flow to 'native' pdf page co-ordinates (I'm not sure how 'up-stream' this is; I don't know if highlights are conserved between text reflows on the Kindle version). Translating the co-ordinates is closely related to having highlighting conserved between pdf text-reflows, I believe.

I assume highlighting in landscape mode would use 'native' highlighting co-ordinates. If yes, my needs would be met as landscape mode reading A4 or US letter two column documents is managable on a 6 or 7 inch screen.

Again, many thanks to the developers and other helpful people on these forums.

Dave

PS for new comers, installing KOReader from scratch as of 25/09/2013 (took me a while to pick up all the threads - this worked for me YMMV):

1) Install PBChess that includes Kobo Launcher by sergeyvl12
http://wiki.vlasovsoft.net/doku.php?id=enbchess-1.2.6
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201632

(restart and check you see the launcher and it launchers a new menu)

2) Install File Monitor for launching other programs also by sergeyvl12
http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/files/kobo/fmon.zip
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218283

3) install koreader. E.g. a nightly build:
https://code.google.com/p/koreader-p...downloads/list
(copy zip contents to the .kobo folder that appears when you plug your Kobo reader in - at least that's how it is on a linux computer)
davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #583
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Actually you might want to download from here:
http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/index.html
If you have a "status bar" in your beowser view, when you mouse over the download link you will see the real version number.

You shouldn't need to install fmon, as it is included in the pbchess install.

Sergey's port of CoolReader is not as mature as Koreader, and still has some issues but it is coming along and will probably catch up with Giorgio's Koreader port. There is no problem with having both, making it four altogether. Two from Kobo, the Koreader and CoolReader.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-25-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #584
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
Installing Koreader using the latest nightly build on GitHub has a serious issue on Kobo Mini - there is no way to exit into native system (I had to take apart my device and manually delete Koreader files from microSD card.)
To solve this problem I've created a simple install pack based on Markismus's excellent 1-Step-Hack. It contains the latest Koreader and CoolReader builds, and it installs and works fine on my Kobo Mini with firmware 2.6.1. After the first install updating to newer versions must be simple using the recent official Koreader an Coolreader (pbchess) install files. I hope it works on other Kobo devices too.

Install files: AltReader_CR1.2.6.3_KO529 (BE CAUTIOUS, IT'S TESTED ON KOBO MINI FW 2.6.1 ONLY!)

Last edited by Mike76; 09-28-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #585
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davros View Post
..highlights before and after reflow are not compatible with different views. ...

I need to get my highlighted text out of the device so I had a look at the .lua files containing metadata e.g.
.kobo/koreader/history/[#mnt#sd#] Name of document.pdf.lua
(I have a few crude scripts on the way to get the bookmarks and text out)
Feature request: translate coordinates from text re-flow to 'native' pdf page co-ordinates Translating the co-ordinates is closely related to having highlighting conserved between pdf text-reflows, I believe....
I tested it this morning and highlighting disappears when switching from reflow to normal text on a Kobo Aura HD.
I hope that you'll work out how to translate coordinates and export highlighting and bookmarks to a file.

If you would like some support with it, I found that opening an issue at the koreader development site works. Could you register and open an issue here: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues?state=open ?
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote