Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
elea
Nameless Being

Which font do you use on your Sony reader?

I use Amasis.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Mostly the original (default) font, when needed the verdana font.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
LexiaDaMa is my favorite font that's easiest to read with my old eyes.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Ripplinger: as this is no default font, do you embed them in your books?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I usually like whatever font the book comes with, but occasionally I have had a book where one font size is too small and the next is too big, and have to use a different font to achieve an in-between size. In that case, I usually use Amasis, occasionally one of the others.

I usually like fonts with serifs but I find I don't much care for Palatino and Really No 2.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Yes, there is a default font. No idea what it is called.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My mother, mother-in-law, and I all use my modified Charis SIL most of the time. It's been modified to add more weight and it also works very well on eInk Kindles with Mobi & KF8.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
No, I prefer to keep my epubs clean of embedded fonts. I use PRS+ on my 350s, which lets you create a stylesheet to change the font to whatever you like, and you can sideload any font you like and as many as you like.

I just noticed you have the T1 and T2, there is no PRS+ for those readers, so you'd probably have to embed a special font if you didn't like the default is my guess (or someone else will know if there's a hack that allows you to load your own fonts).

I'm not sure if your 600 reader could use PRS+, but it would be the only one likely to.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:31 AM   #9
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
No, I prefer to keep my epubs clean of embedded fonts.
I agree. Embedding fonts also has the side effect that you cannot switch to another font anymore with the T2 & T2.

As I can live with the default font most of the time, I hardly switch to another font. That said, I do often change the (font) settings in the CSS of an epub as I encounter now and then horrible formatted books in which (among others) the font is set way too small . A quick fix there (font-size: 1.0em makes then even the default font much more pleasant.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #10
book_goddess
Nameless Being

All of the books that I've read since getting my Sony device seem to have had embedded fonts, and I don't care to change those fonts as they're yet to bother me or impact on my reading experience in any way. When I encounter a book without an embedded font, I won't be using 'Original' - I love sans serif fonts for everything but novel reading. I'll probably be using Amasis.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Caecilia Bold.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I agree. Embedding fonts also has the side effect that you cannot switch to another font anymore with the T2 & T2.
Actually, this is incorrect. You can embed a font and still be able to switch fonts if you want. All you do is make the font family serif and it will work fine for changing fonts.

font-family: serif

Then you can either use the embedded font or one of the fonts in the font menu.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:31 AM   #13
DrChiper
Bookish

Nice trick!
As I seldom use "serif" fonts, I would never have guessed this. Appreciated.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #14
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
No, I prefer to keep my epubs clean of embedded fonts. I use PRS+ on my 350s, which lets you create a stylesheet to change the font to whatever you like, and you can sideload any font you like and as many as you like.

I just noticed you have the T1 and T2, there is no PRS+ for those readers, so you'd probably have to embed a special font if you didn't like the default is my guess (or someone else will know if there's a hack that allows you to load your own fonts).
For custom CSS and fonts for the T1 (as well as a few other tweaks), look at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST1_Modified_Reader.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I saw Kobo Nickel the other day. I want it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote