Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
bchaplin
Enthusiast
bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, K3 (Kindle Keyboard)
Kindle Keyboard Kaput

My 1 1/2 year old Kindle has suddenly developed a problem -- the upwards part of the controller doesn't work. If I press it, it acts as if I'm typing letters and creating a note, rather than paging up the screen like it is supposed to.

I called Amazon tech support, yadda, yadda, restarted, troubleshooting -- the short answer is that it is considered a hardware defect, and their only solution, since it is out of warranty, is that I buy a refurbished Kindle from them at a reduced price.

Is this the way to go? I'm not sure of the wisdom of getting a refurbished model. They are offering me Paperwhite models only.

Last edited by bchaplin; 05-11-2013 at 07:04 AM. Reason: clarity
bchaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
If you don't mind going to a touch model, the Paperwhite is a good option - I like mine much better than I did my k3. I do have to admit, however, that I got a good one, and that some people have had problems with color blooms on the screen.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
If you don't mind going to a touch model, the Paperwhite is a good option - I like mine much better than I did my k3. I do have to admit, however, that I got a good one, and that some people have had problems with color blooms on the screen.
In the early releases. Not so much in the later ones judging by numerous posts.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:15 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The PW is a far better device, in my view. Unless you have a specific need for something like TTS, which it doesn't have, I'd definitely go for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
bchaplin
Enthusiast
bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the feedback!
The Paperwhite kindle does seem like a nice option, since I travel with it a lot and the light would make night reading easier. I don't like the 'touch' part but I can live with it.
It is the 'refurbished' part of it that concerns me. They do come with a one year warranty though.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's no need to be concerned about it being refurbished. That will make no difference whatsoever.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
My 1 1/2 year old Kindle has suddenly developed a problem -- the upwards part of the controller doesn't work. If I press it, it acts as if I'm typing letters and creating a note, rather than paging up the screen like it is supposed to.

I called Amazon tech support, yadda, yadda, restarted, troubleshooting -- the short answer is that it is considered a hardware defect, and their only solution, since it is out of warranty, is that I buy a refurbished Kindle from them at a reduced price.

Is this the way to go? I'm not sure of the wisdom of getting a refurbished model. They are offering me Paperwhite models only.
If you are willing to JailBreak your device, perhaps can you salvage your keyboard usability by remapping some broken keys from the upward part to other working ones in the downward part using the Keyboard hack discussed in this thread of the developer forum
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
bchaplin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
If you are willing to JailBreak your device, perhaps can you salvage your keyboard usability by remapping some broken keys from the upward part to other working ones in the downward part using the Keyboard hack discussed in this thread of the developer forum
Thanks!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
It is the 'refurbished' part of it that concerns me. They do come with a one year warranty though.
We've got a couple of refurbished Kindle Keyboard's in our house, both are now almost a couple of years old and they have been fine. When bought, they seemed like brand new devices, and the only noticeable difference between them and a new one was the price.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
bchaplin
Enthusiast

Thanks!
I ordered the Paperwhite, refurbished, but now am having second thoughts if I should not have just bought another Kindle Keyboard, before they are discontinued. My plan is to compare them side by side and then make a decision. I've heard a lot of pros and cons of each, hopefully seeing it with my own eyes will help.

One note: in order to get the discount on the 'new refurbished' Kindle, I have to return the one I have now. I thought this was kind of weird because I'm not really getting a huge discount; basically it's $30 off. I was so surprised when the customer service rep told me this that I forgot to ask if they expect the charger to be returned; in that case it wouldn't be worth it at all since I'd have to buy a new one.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
no, they don't expect the charger to be returned with the kindle - at least they specifically told me not to include it when I had to get a new k3.

i think the reason they want you to return the bad kindle is to prove that yes, indeed, you did have a bad one and weren't just taking them for a ride.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Weird, a friend of mine had the same problem only last week, and had me call Amazon on his behalf.

They told me also, the only option is to buy a refurbished Kindle for a discount, and offered me the Touch, and the Kindle 4th-gen. When I asked them about the paperwhite they said I could get that too, as well as the Kindle 5th-gen.

Did they specifically say, NO you can't have the Touch/Kindle 4th-gen/5th-gen?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
bchaplin
Enthusiast

eschwartz, I can't really remember the generation numbers. They offered me a refurbished Paperwhite or a Touch, but when I asked about getting a Kindle Keyboard they said those were not available refurbished.

Thanks, Becca! I'm glad to know they don't want the charger back.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
eschwartz, I can't really remember the generation numbers. They offered me a refurbished Paperwhite or a Touch, but when I asked about getting a Kindle Keyboard they said those were not available refurbished.

Thanks, Becca! I'm glad to know they don't want the charger back.
RIght, they don't offer the Keyboard anymore, that is a 3rd-gen Kindle. The 4th-gen is just the basic one that came out with the Touch. 5th-gen just came out with the Paperwhite.

Every new Kindle comes in two versions -- the basic Kindle with a 5-way controller plus home and back buttons, plus a more advanced one. 2nd-gen was the DX, 3rd-gen was the Keyboard, then the Touch and now the Paperwhite.

It's good to know they offer the Touch as well as the Paperwhite -- I'm sure they will also offer the Basic Kindle with 5-way controller. It doesn't have a touch-screen (either the current, 5th-gen or the 4th-gen that came out with the Touch) and will be much cheaper as well. They told me $43 for a refurbished 4th-gen Basic Kindle.

I think if you give the touchscreen a try, though, you will soon wonder how you lived (or at least read) without it. It really is a superior way to navigate your Kindle.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I recently changed the motherboards in 2 broken Kindle 3s, and I'm happy with the results. No problem registering, and I turned the 2 wifi only models into 3G+wifi models. I got them here:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Amazon...p-1-c-641.html
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote