Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Question for Android Experts

Since I know very little about the Android platform, I am stumped at the moment by how to fix this:

I have (in the "Notifications" roll-down window) 8 processes going on - all installing apps. But none finish downloading/installing the apps, it just goes on and on

For instance, I bought the App of the Day, Documents to Go Full Version Key, and it is still showed as "installing" 5th of 8 on the Notifications menu.

Does anyone know how can I stop/cancel the installs? Right now, nothing is getting thru

So happy this forum exists ...
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
Since I know very little about the Android platform, I am stumped at the moment by how to fix this:

I have (in the "Notifications" roll-down window) 8 processes going on - all installing apps. But none finish downloading/installing the apps, it just goes on and on

For instance, I bought the App of the Day, Documents to Go Full Version Key, and it is still showed as "installing" 5th of 8 on the Notifications menu.

Does anyone know how can I stop/cancel the installs? Right now, nothing is getting thru

Click on the notification of the app installing. it should take you to a cancel button.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:

I'm certainly no expert but, I can offer a few suggestions:

Another sure way to kill all the process at once is to shut down the Fire and then turn it back on. Are you sure the Apps didn't install? When you open up Apps from the Home Screen and select Device do they show up there? You can Clear all the notifications and try again. In fact, it's a good idea to clear notifications regularly because they tend to build up and become clutter. When you open the Apps Menu from the Home Screen you can choose App Store. I don't have a Fire in front of me right now, but if you press Menu on the Options Bar while in the App Store there should be an option for My Apps. All Apps downloaded from Amazon are stored in the Cloud and can be installed again.Try installing them one at a time and see what happens. Maybe there was an App that hiccuped and was creating troubles. Good luck.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-22-2011 at 08:36 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

If they didn't install I'm wondering if your WiFi had/has issues. Normally apps install and update rather quickly, but if your WiFi connection is flaky it could result in failed installations.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

No, actually I think the fault was mine. I probably tried to download too many apps at once ... my Wifi has been great all this time, I get full bars etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
If they didn't install I'm wondering if your WiFi had/has issues. Normally apps install and update rather quickly, but if your WiFi connection is flaky it could result in failed installations.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
No, actually I think the fault was mine. I probably tried to download too many apps at once ... my Wifi has been great all this time, I get full bars etc.
I haven't done this on my Fire yet, but occasionally I get update notices on my Android phone for 8 or more apps at once, so I allow it to update all of them at once. It has never had an issue with that many apps, so it might be another problem with you Fire. I guess it is possible that the Fire cannot logically schedule and properly queue multiple downloads, but I think it should be able to.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
friktion
Zealot

Nope. It just keeps loading and loading ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Click on the notification of the app installing. it should take you to a cancel button.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Nope. It just keeps loading and loading ....
Just turn the device off and back on.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
friktion
Zealot

Tried this several times. The Apps are on "the Cloud" but not in my Device Apps.

I've cleared the Notifications several times, rebooted. It's still restarts the 9 same "installs" when I restart.

I think I'll have to figure out a way to "kill" the applications that are still trying to install.

Another sure way to kill all the process at once is to shut down the Fire and then turn it back on. Are you sure the Apps didn't install? When you open up Apps from the Home Screen and select Device do they show up there? You can Clear all the notifications and try again. In fact, it's a good idea to clear notifications regularly because they tend to build up and become clutter. When you open the Apps Menu from the Home Screen you can choose App Store. I don't have a Fire in front of me right now, but if you press Menu on the Options Bar while in the App Store there should be an option for My Apps. All Apps downloaded from Amazon are stored in the Cloud and can be installed again.Try installing them one at a time and see what happens. Maybe there was an App that hiccuped and was creating troubles. Good luck.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
friktion
Zealot

Actually, I've tried this several times. I'm really stumped. I've turned off "Kindle Apps" in the "Applications".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Just turn the device off and back on.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
friktion
Zealot

HAH! GOT IT!

If anybody has the same problem, go to "Applications" - All Applications, scroll down to

OTASilentInstall - press "Force Stop".

Notifications now shows 7 apps "Successfully installed" - Tap to Launch.

1, which I assume is the troublemaker, is still installing - ES File Explorer.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yay!! Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

I had this happen too after I received notice of some app updates. Two of the apps would not finish loading. I tried clearing the Notifications and shutting down several times. After many attempts one of the two apps finally installed the update, the other one which is ES File Explorer never would. I uninstalled the app and tried to re-install and nothing. Still in limbo on that one.

Also, syncing with Amazon books has become very flaky. I'm talking about Amazon purchased books which have always synced well. K4 NT syncs with K4PC very well. K4PC syncs with Fire. Fire and K4 NT don't sync. WTFire Amazon!!! To get highlights from K4 NT to Fire I had to first sync them to K4PC then sync it to Fire, and only after trial and error did hat work correctly. I think Amazon needs to hire some competent Android programmers!

Last edited by jswinden; 11-22-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
friktion
Zealot

Now that I think of it, my problem started that way too. I received notice of 2 updates for my applications - also like you, one was ES File Explorer ...
Old 11-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Now that I think of it, my problem started that way too. I received notice of 2 updates for my applications - also like you, one was ES File Explorer ...
Ah so the app store is to blame. Be sure to report the bug to Amazon.

I use the latest Version of ES File Explorer that I sideloaded.
It has alot more features like Move and Copy to. The one in the app store is very old.

If you have a sideloaded version of an app and it's also in the app store make sure to ignore the update notice because it won't work due to the signatures being different.