Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Soxendom
Connoisseur
Soxendom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
File Association

Often when I am checking fb2's and epub's I want to check them with the calibre reader.
I'd like to be able to associate the calibre reader with those type of files so that when I double click on them it automatically opens them in the reader. Is there any way to do this?
I've tried using the "open with" command in windows and then double clicking on the reader in the calibre folder but nothing happens. It doesn't show as a program. Is there any way round this?
Soxendom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Me too, Soxendom.

I'm sure this used to work OK in a previous version of calibre. I was trying to associate LRFs and EPUBs with their respective readers yesterday after I got round to upgrading to v6.17 but couldn't make it work. I'm using Windows XP SP3.

I hope someone can put us out of our misery.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you made sure that the calibre install folder is included in your path? It is required for the file association to work. The new installer does not add the Calibre folder to the path automatically any more so you have to do it manually.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for replying.

Sorry to be a dummy, but where is "the path". I use Calibre totally through the GUI. How/where do I amend the path?
Old 10-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The PATH is a Windows level setting about where it should look for binaries. It is normally set via control Panel->System->Advanced->Environment Variables. Esrlier versions of the Calibre Installer would set this automatically.

You might want to look PATH up in Windows help.
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It doesn't need to be in PATH for file association to work. See

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ticket/3753
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Nothing I do will let me associate either epub or lrf with a viewer. When I try to select the relevant .exe in "C:\Program Files\Calibre - E-book Management" using "Windows - Control Panel - Folder Options - FileTypes" nothing happens.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Press and hold your shift key and right click on an epub (or whatever) file. In the menu select Open with

In the window that opens up click browse and then select ebook-viewer.exe
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

... I should have added that the viewers work OK when used from the Calibre GUI.

I also tried the path thing. It made no difference.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry we crossed replies there. I tried the right-click. It gives the same result as the Control Panel - Folder Options - i.e. Nothing
Old 10-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It doesn't need to be in PATH for file association to work. See

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ticket/3753
The actual file assocation itself does not require calibre to be on the PATH as one gives an absolute path to the viewer program. I have the file association setup and working fine. However if I remove calibre from the PATH then it stops working. I was assuming that something that is needed by the viewer program is only found if the path is set up correctly (just as is required for the Calibre command-line programs to operate correctly).
Old 10-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

I managed to find a "kind-of" workaround by associating lrf and epub with my Firefox browser, which brings up a pop-up which allows me to set an "Open-with" program which I can point at the relevant calibre viewer for each. So it seems Firefox is willing to make associations but Windows can't. This isn't a solution but it's better than nothing.

Will ticket 3753 be re-opened?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I have had this association setup for awhile now. I am using windows XP-SP3 and my path is different. (C:\Documents and Settings\HOME\My Documents\My Dropbox) It might not like the path with extra spaces and a dash, Windows is weird sometimes. If the below doesn't work try simplifying the path just for fun.

Select epub file
Right click. select "open with" - choose program
Check box "always use selected program to open up this kind of file."
Select browse
navigate to appropriate directory
select exe file for viewer
click open
click ok

This should work everytime. I have LRF setup with the lrfviewer and Epub setup with the ebook-viewer.

Good Luck

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-16-2009 at 10:05 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, dwanthny. Are you saying that you have been able to associate lrf with lrfviewer by using the standard Windows associate method? Or have you also done it in 2 stages like I described above, i.e. use Windows associate to point lrf at Firefox.exe followed by using Firefox to associate with lrfviewer.exe.

I have not been able to do it directly. This is the first time I've ever had problems with Windows file type association.

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-16-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, dwanthny. Are you saying that you have been able to associate lrf with lrfviewer by using the standard Windows associate method?
This is what I'm saying. I used the standard method described in my previous post (which I updated).
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote