Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast
daniel_hokkaido began at the beginning.

Device: sonyprs 505, pocketbook pro 603
Lensman slang

QX, on the beam, crazier than a Rigellian cateagle, that guy has enough jets to launch a freighter from a Velarian pole, thionite dream, 7th sector call out,

Doc E. E Smith had some damn weird slang in lensman. I just finished up reading his series last week and, although i didn't love it, I did appreciate his attempts to have a standout lingo.

Any other favourite linguisitic examples from your MR'ers?

D.
daniel_hokkaido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:49 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I grok you. (stranger in a strange land)

If you want truly original language, read Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein.
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

The Two Moties Books by Larry Niven

almost all scifi books have some kind of language change somewhere. some lingo the characters use. the above books are those that I can remember stand out as far as originality goes.

I only read one Lensman book. but I don't think it falls much in the land of Original language and sayings.
you can say stickier than a the leg of a Klingon beetle fly, you will still know that its sticky.

the first 2 books I suggested have a degraded english/gutter speak

the moties book and stranger in a strange land have many points of view from non humans
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_hokkaido View Post
QX, on the beam, crazier than a Rigellian cateagle, that guy has enough jets to launch a freighter from a Velarian pole, thionite dream, 7th sector call out,

Doc E. E Smith had some damn weird slang in lensman. I just finished up reading his series last week and, although i didn't love it, I did appreciate his attempts to have a standout lingo.

Any other favourite linguisitic examples from your MR'ers?

D.

Actually that's a 7 sector call out...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote