Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
cdenes
cdenes began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
I'm a mac user and just got the PRS-505. help me!

When I first tried to use the Reader I realized it is only set up to work with Windows. I was happy to learn about calibre (and will gladly contribute if I get it to work for me) BUT I have not been able to get the books I want to open.

Let me start by saying that I originally intended to mostly use digital ebook downloads from my library collection, rather than to buy books. These books are "borrowed" for only 14 days so there must be some kind of encoding on them that restricts their use. The library offers different formats for different ebooks but the most common one seems to be Adobe PDF and that is what I have been trying to use tonight.

I downloaded a book, opened it in Adobe Digital Editions (so that it would complete the download process) and now I want to transfer it to my Reader. If I open it in Calibre and "send to device" I get an error message when I try to read it that the content is restricted. If I open it in Calibre and try to convert I get the error message that it is DRM content. The library web site claims that I should be able to transfer it to my Reader directly using Adobe Digital Editions but when I read Adobe's help section they say I have to install the Sony Reader software first which means.... it is only for Windows users.

Am I going to be able to get this to work? Or do I have to send back my Reader?

thank you!
cdenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You cant use calibre with DRM protected content. As far as I know, you have to use the sony software in windows for this kind of content.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
cdenes

So I have to send it back. what a drag.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Try transfering the book from the directory for the drm epub reader on mac to the sd card using Finder!!
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
cdenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchll View Post
Try transfering the book from the directory for the drm epub reader on mac to the sd card using Finder!!
I'm sorry - I don't completely understand. what is the drm epub reader? could you give me a little more info? thanks!!!
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdenes View Post
Am I going to be able to get this to work? Or do I have to send back my Reader?

thank you!
Unfortunately you can't use Secure Adobe books on the Sony until you have authorized it to your Adobe ID. You can only do that on a 32-bit Windows PC since that is the only OS that Sony wrote a driver for.

However, once you do this you will be able to install Digital Editions on your Mac and download secure Adobe ebooks. You can then transfer them to your reader with Finder.

Do you have access to any Windows machines? Maybe at work? Or a friends house. If so, you just need it to authorize your reader to your Adobe ID.

That said, there are other options. Generally:

1. Buying DRM free ebooks.

2. Removing DRM from ebooks and converting them for the Sony.

Many people do one or both of the above.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
cdenes

I work freelance and don't have regular access to any windows machines. really. everyone I know has a mac (except my parents but they live in a different state).

how do you remove DRM? I imagine it is complicated.

wait, I just read your post again.... so I only need access to a PC once to authorize the reader? and then never again? I could manage that.

Last edited by cdenes; 11-11-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #8
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Quote:
I'm sorry - I don't completely understand. what is the drm epub reader? could you give me a little more info? thanks!!!
Adobe Digital Editions on your mac. Use Finder to transfer the book to your Sony reader. I used Fusion to install windows and then the SOny software; register the reader with the program for the Adobe Digital and never have to go back to windows again.

Last edited by Mitchll; 11-11-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:11 PM   #9
cdenes

Quote:
Adobe Digital Editions on your mac. Use Finder to transfer the book to your Sony reader.
Aha! Ok. I just tried this. When I connect the reader to my mac I copied the book (yes after opening it in Digital Editions) to the "media" folder for "books" but when I tried to open it on my Reader I still get the error message "Protected Page!" and can't read it.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
cdenes

Quote:
I used Fusion to install windows and then the SOny software; register the reader with the program for the Adobe Digital and never have to go back to windows again.
So you can use Adobe Digital Editions to transfer books to your Reader now?
Old 11-12-2008, 12:10 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So you can use Adobe Digital Editions to transfer books to your Reader now?
Ah no. You still have to use Finder... DE will not recognize the reader on the Mac.

BOb
Old 11-12-2008, 12:12 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
how do you remove DRM? I imagine it is complicated.
Not at all. Google for and search this forum for mobidedrm and you will find several threads about it.

Quote:
wait, I just read your post again.... so I only need access to a PC once to authorize the reader? and then never again? I could manage that.
Yes, just once to authorize. Then "never" again. I never say never... but in theory.

BOb
Old 11-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
cdenes

Thank you.

Here's the thing. The reader is expensive. I'm now feeling uncertain I'll actually be able to get a lot of use out of it since I do not have regular access to a PC. And I'm busy so not inclined to do a lot of technical runaround every time I want to read a new book. If you were me, knowing what you know about mac use + PRS-505.... would you keep the Reader or return it for a refund?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #14
cdenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ah no. You still have to use Finder... DE will not recognize the reader on the Mac.
So what is the point of authorizing the Reader on a PC then? I thought the authorization would allow Digital Editions to use it.

Is the authorization something that allows the Reader to read protected content that has been downloaded using Digital Editions?

This is all making me worry about another issue: what about when the PRS-505 gets software updates? How will I know? And how will I be able to install them? (And will it be important for me to install them over the life of the machine?) are any of you exclusively mac users, like me, or do you all have easy access to PC when needed?

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So what is the point of authorizing the Reader on a PC then? I thought the authorization would allow Digital Editions to use it.
Authorizing the reader will allow it to read books that were encrypted for your Adobe ID.

Quote:
Is the authorization something that allows the Reader to read protected content that has been downloaded using Digital Editions?
Exactly.

Quote:
This is all making me worry about another issue: what about when the PRS-505 gets software updates? How will I know? And how will I be able to install them? (And will it be important for me to install them over the life of the machine?) are any of you exclusively mac users, like me, or do you all have easy access to PC when needed?
you will know if you keep up with this forum. However, you will need a windows PC to apply the firmware updates.

I have both PCs and Mac... I also have VMWare Fusion on my Mac.

BOb