Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #76
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Oooh, now we're mixing mediums! Firefly and B5 were both faves of mine. Star Trek is only comparable because it influenced me at a much younger age.

I remain curious if Joss could have maintained that superb edge of dry humor that made Firefly so special, without getting quite as campy as Farscape. IMO, B5 lost its focus. Firefly might have as well. We'll never know.

The new Battlestar Galactica had a lot going for it, once I got over having a female Starbuck...
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #77
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I remain curious if Joss could have maintained that superb edge of dry humor that made Firefly so special, without getting quite as campy as Farscape. IMO, B5 lost its focus. Firefly might have as well. We'll never know.
I don't think B5 lost focus, exactly. As mentioned, it was planned as a 5 year story arc. There was fairly strong evidence it wasn't going to get renewed for Season 5, so creator Joe Straczynski reshuffled his story to tie up the major plot lines by the end of Season 4, to not leave the audience hanging. When it did get a Season 5 renewal, Joe had already wrapped up the main story lines, and what he had left was weaker than what had gone before. I've wondered how it might have played if Joe knew he would have all five seasons to play in.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #78
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I'm aware of it. I suspect everyone here could come up with shows that were wonderful, but just never got a large enough audience.
______
Dennis
Stark Raving Mad, starring Doogie Howser and Tony Shalhoub. I loved it, all four episodes of it. Shalhoub is wonderful, Howser was well suited to the role, and it was smarter than most sitcoms. So of course it was killed, almost immediately.
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #79
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Bob's Big Book of Booger Jokes turned my life around.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #80
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Oooh, now we're mixing mediums! Firefly and B5 were both faves of mine. Star Trek is only comparable because it influenced me at a much younger age.

The new Battlestar Galactica had a lot going for it, once I got over having a female Starbuck...
A female Starbuck and a female Boomer and a female president. Who writes that show?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #81
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
And then Joss Wheadon did something amazing, sort of combined the two and created Firefly... To bad the people with the purse couldnt understand how fantastic Firefly was.
Actually I would say there was a lot of Buffy in Firefly, some Star Wars, but not much Star Trek at all. The closest I would say is that Firefly might in some sense be thought of as an answer to the question of why not a United Federation of Planets.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote