Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
alexsbg
alexsbg began at the beginning.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Thumbs up Beta test for ePUB authoring software

We are looking for testers for the upcoming ePUB output of our authoring tool Help & Manual.

Help & Manual is a stand-alone XML based authoring tool for MS Windows to create e-books and technical documentation. It features an integrated WYSIWYG editor and creates a large range of output formats, including PDF, Windows e-books (proprietary), HTML, XHTML, compiled Windows HTML Help, Word documents and - still experimental - e-books in ePUB format. For an introduction to Help & Manual, please refer to http://www.helpandmanual.com.

If you are interested in testing the tool and the new output format, please send a message to support (at) ec-software.com with a reference to this thread and a quick summary of what you intend to do with it (what kind of e-books do you create, what would you use the authoring tool for). Serious testers will be offered an NFR license of Help & Manual 5 Professional, a $599 value.
alexsbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Alexsbg, will this support Mobile DE by making each chapter a seperate XML file? with one input file? Mobile DE has some limitations on the size each bit (I forget the proper term) can be and if you have chapters as seperate XML, then it will work in most cases.

Also, can it support eBook formats such as BBeB, LIT, Mobipocket, eReader? If not, can these be built in?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #3
alexsbg

Hi JSWolf,

I don't know whether a particular program supports the format. So far, I tested Adobe DE and Mobipocket. ADE works well with the EPUB format created by our tool, Mobipocket can open them, although it doesn't support the table of contents.

Help & Manual is a topic based authoring tool. That means that it centers around a table of contents and every page (or "chapter") becomes a separate XHTML page in the EPUB output. It is on the author to split the book into as many chapters as needed.

Quote:
can it support eBook formats such as BBeB, LIT, Mobipocket, eReader
If the reader supports EPUB, yes. If not, then not. Help & Manual already creates Adobe PDF, a proprietary Windows eBook format and now EPUB. We don't plan additional proprietary output formats. The beauty of EPUB is that it is a standard and not another proprietary format.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
dynamike
Enthusiast
dynamike began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, PRS-505
Too bad the tool is Windows only. On Linux I would have loved to betatest it.
dynamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'm not sure i'd make a good person to test because i might not have enough time / technical knowledge however i am really pleased to see more tools becoming available to make epub format ebooks. i consider one of the most important factors in the widespread, mainstream success of ebooks will be one standard format, and epub is exactly what we need. so i wish you good luck.

and i will happily beta test for you if you don't mind a dilettante tester.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I went ahead and got this, but if it's about programming, then I'll have to pass on it.

I'm interested in the authoring aspect. If this means assembling books in the epub format and making more titles available here on MobileRead, then I'm all for that.

Programming, however, I don't do....

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsbg View Post
Help & Manual is a stand-alone XML based authoring tool for MS Windows to create e-books and technical documentation. It features an integrated WYSIWYG editor and creates a large range of output formats, including PDF, Windows e-books (proprietary), HTML, XHTML, compiled Windows HTML Help, Word documents and - still experimental - e-books in ePUB format. For an introduction to Help & Manual, please refer to http://www.helpandmanual.com.
Ah. More grist for the mill. Added to the list at TextEditors.org, here.

Thanks for the info.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Also, can it support eBook formats such as BBeB, LIT, Mobipocket, eReader? If not, can these be built in?
It's an XML and Help authoring tool, not an ebook creation tool, so including those would be of limited value for the intended market. What we need are conversion tools that can take ePub as input and output BBeB, LIT, Mobi, eReader, and other formats. You might well use Help and Manual 5 to create the ePub...
______
Dennis
Old 09-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I went ahead and got this, but if it's about programming, then I'll have to pass on it.
No, it's about the bane of a programmer's existence: documentation.

I grabbed it, and will play, as I do sometimes need to document things.
______
Dennis
Old 09-04-2008, 06:33 AM   #10
alexsbg

Quote:
No, it's about the bane of a programmer's existence: documentation
Yes and no
Software documentation is where we come from (the product name tells it) and many of our user are indeed programmers. But you don't need to program to use it, just write.

Help & Manual is an authoring tool with an integrated Word-like WYSIWYG editor. It is, however, not a conversion tool, despite it can import content from many sources.

The EPUB format has the potential to be more than just a format to deliver novels in electronic format. The TOC qualifies it for documentation e-books as well. It could become the long missing cross-platform standard for electronically delivered offline readings in general, no matter if novel or documentation.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:07 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Well TOC is not enough to qualify it but then you can also get an index in ePUB but you have to build it manually. You also need bibliographies, footnotes, and other features. Again this can be done in ePUB.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
Megapode
Megapode began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Folks,

although new to the whole eBook 'thang' I can say that Help and Manual (H&M) is a fantastic authoring tool and the fact that Alexander is looking to support ePub as one of the many formats that H&M already supports can only be a good thing. With RTF, HTML, PDF, chm, XML and now ePub all built in then there is a large support base already.

H&M is a full editing/documentation tool that started life as a way of creating help files but can be used for so much more than this! It can natively create files in many formats from one 'source' document. Related to this you can create all the needed links between pages/images etc and create all the hyperlinks you could possibly need.

I can also confirm that H&M can produce output that can be seen and run on the Sony PRS-505 complete with hyperlinks / diagrams and more. In fact, I have already sent Alexander some photographs to show how well it does work.

H&M has the potential to be an awsome multi-format generation tool that can be used from scratch and with existing documents to create well structured documentation that can be tweaked to the intended destination.

I believe that it was due to my recommendation to Alexander that he look at ePub that he has investigated and made this beta available to mobileread. If it is from that then I believe based on the brief conversations that I have had with Alexander but the way the tool has developed and advanced then as eBooks become more mainstream then he would certainly look at other eBook formats natively too.

Please note, I am nothing to do with H&M or the software company that makes it, I am just a very happy user of the product!
Megapode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Just to clarify, can I use this to open and edit .epub files?

I'm creating epub files with caliber but would love to be able to go back and correct issues, or find the problems in books that crash my reader.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote