Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
dicknskip
Zealot
dicknskip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad V-3
0.7 Linux Ubuntu ppa

Relase 0.7 sounds terrific. I'd love to use it. The ppa that R Gibert so nicely keeps for us Ubuntu users shows that it now contains the 0.7 release. However, on Kubuntu 12.10 apt-get sigil or muon it only shows the 0.6.2 version and no updates available. Is anyone else having this issue? Could it be an issue with Qt5? Can I just install the QT5 a

TIAs shown in the build instructions for Linux?
dicknskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Is Qt 5 even available for Ubuntu? I'm running version 4 on the desktop PC with 12.04 and AFIAK Qt 5 isn't an option.

Maybe in 13.04?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
dicknskip
Zealot

The QT-Project website shows a QT5 download for Linux 64bit. I know that users of Sigil, the package I want to use, that are skilled at compiling are running it at QT5. I'm not that technically savvy so I thought I'd ask first, just in case I mess up my current system.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've not seen "official" Qt 5 packages anywhere yet.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
dicknskip
Zealot

Can you think of any other reason why R. Gibert's ppa wouldn't work? It has worked for the last couple of releases so this is strange.
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks to me like there are problems with all of the 0.7.0 builds on Gilbert's ppa. They all have red 'X's on them. Looks like a work in progress or maybe just placeholders of some kind.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
dicknskip
Zealot

Thanks, I didn't see those before, but I do now. I guess it is an issue so I'll await the fix OR maybe I'll just have to, finally, learn how to compile my own Self-reliance is a virtue I've been told.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

For the record, I wouldn't be nervous about installing Qt5 with the pre-compiled binary install program from the project's website. I've installed it on several versions/machines without messing up the existing system qt4 setup. Just install it in your home directory if you want to play it really safe. Then you can build Sigil using the instructions from the wiki on Sigil's website.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
dicknskip
Zealot

Much appreciated. I think I'll "struggle" along with 0.6.2 for a day or so and see what happens. At that point I can try a compile if needed. This is an amazing tool and the last few releases have made awesome improvements so it's a pretty minor struggle.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It looks to me like there are problems with all of the 0.7.0 builds on Gilbert's ppa. They all have red 'X's on them. Looks like a work in progress or maybe just placeholders of some kind.
During an alpha/beta testcycle, we'd call that a "partial upgrade." Time to turn off the updater and wait a few hours or days for all the packages to get seated.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:43 AM   #11
signum
Zealot
signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
I'm also running (K)ubuntu 12.04. Qt5 hasn't appeared in the repositories yet. It's supposed to be included in 13.04, a couple of months from now. I'm hoping 12.04, the Long Term Support (5 years!) release, will get Qt5 backported sometime around the release of 13.04. So, I'm waiting a couple of months to try out Sigil 0.7.0.
signum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:56 AM   #12
paxmark1
Enthusiast
paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo
Might be awhile (even quite awhile) for Debian to get QT5. I am currently using Debian testing. I downloaded the 300plus mb QT5.01 from the QT website to ~/bin. chmod +x and then ./ yields a QT5 environment to use. I do need to brush up on compilation flags for Sigil 0.70 to acess the QT5 in the cmake process.

Once successful I will keep Sigil 0.70 in a folder in ~/bin also. Another day I will try more.

I am still tickled pink about 0.62. It can stay in /usr/local -it compiled so easily.

Last edited by paxmark1; 02-24-2013 at 04:00 AM.
paxmark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Be careful keeping two versions. You'll be ok with those two particular versions because the change to Qt5 caused the .local (or .config, I always forget) files Sigil uses to be relocated. But usually, the location for those personal files (config, prefs, dictionaries, and the like) will be shared/mixed regardless of where you installed the binaries. Something to keep in mind moving forward.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Sounds almost as bad as windows with its handling of .dlls! In the program files, in system, the most current one or the first one called!!!!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #15
L_Oracle
L_Oracle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch TS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxmark1 View Post
Might be awhile (even quite awhile) for Debian to get QT5. I am currently using Debian testing. I downloaded the 300plus mb QT5.01 from the QT website to ~/bin. chmod +x and then ./ yields a QT5 environment to use. I do need to brush up on compilation flags for Sigil 0.70 to acess the QT5 in the cmake process.

Once successful I will keep Sigil 0.70 in a folder in ~/bin also. Another day I will try more.

I am still tickled pink about 0.62. It can stay in /usr/local -it compiled so easily.
I am also using a Debian testing (wheezy). I was not able to install Sigil 0.7 yesterday night. Can you give me more tips about your installation please ?

Qt5 installation :
When you installed Qt5, did you use the script or download directly the sources ? If you use the script, did you install all features ? I understand your installation as far as chmod +x. But I do not get what you did next.

CMake :
I never use CMake before Sigil and I was not able to tell CMake where Qt5 was. (I definitely prefer gmake or autotools ^^).

Thanks in advance.
L_Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote