Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #106
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urdu View Post
Bug: Games - Chess. You can play the game until check, after that the board goes blank. As if your opponent gets mad and wipes the board from the table...
I think this might be a feature because it's the way I play chess.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #107
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorDog View Post
I think this might be a feature because it's the way I play chess.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #108
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
Following all the discussions on fonts. As the reason why Kobo fonts don't work seems to be known, has anyone come up with a way of altering the "font files" within their Kobo to make Italics display correctly? Or alternatively found a means of extracting them (e.g. Kobo Nickel, which I personally like) renaming as e.g. KoboNickel2 and then reloading as a side loaded font, which, I presume, would work correctly?
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #109
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
No problem. I was wondering about including all the special glyphs (fractions, ligatures etc) in the main text line, so that they get displayed in the different font-styles (bold, italics). This would trap the cases where a glyph is present in e.g., normal style but not bold/italic.

I was also thinking about having a whole sample paragraph (of several lines) in normal, to give an idea of the general reading experience with that font.
Go ahead and have fun modifying the file. I have no problems with anyone adding features that they would find useful.

I originally created it when I got tired of seeing square boxes (some empty, some with question marks) in books I was reading so I wanted a quick and dirty test file to allow me to see how well diacriticals were handled. After fun with the various Kobo fonts that, as you noticed, displayed italics as bold and the need to follow the naming convention for add-on fonts, I added the italic, bold, etc. test lines.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #110
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I'm not sure iff this is a bug, the read percentage appears as 5% read {1%?} is this happening to somebody else? This also happened to me with 2.3.2.

also the Workaround for first bug (Kobo not remembering the exact page where you left off reading when put to sleep) doesn’t work for me, I always have the margins set to 0 and it still opens the book several pages before, this is quite annoying, for me it’s the worst bug, I tried to mark the page where I was before leaving the book but it didn’t work.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #111
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
also the Workaround for first bug (Kobo not remembering the exact page where you left off reading when put to sleep) doesn’t work for me, I always have the margins set to 0 and it still opens the book several pages before, this is quite annoying, for me it’s the worst bug, I tried to mark the page where I was before leaving the book but it didn’t work.
I've seen no sign of this bug in 2.4.0, so maybe it is triggered by something other than margin settings now. What reading settings are you using? I have margins=4 (2 notches above minimum), linespacing at minimum, Georgia font size 32.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #112
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

GeoffR I use

margins = 0
Line spacing = 0
Malabar
I don’t know exactly what is the font size, it is 2 notches above the middle off the slider.

I just noticed that when I leave the book at the beginning of a new chapter it does remember the last page read, but if I leave in the middle off the chapter next time I open it it will open at the beginning off the chapter.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #113
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I just noticed that when I leave the book at the beginning of a new chapter it does remember the last page read, but if I leave in the middle off the chapter next time I open it it will open at the beginning off the chapter.
Are these epubs or kepubs (i.e. side-loaded or bought from Kobo)?
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #114
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
margins = 0
Line spacing = 0
Malabar
I don’t know exactly what is the font size, it is 2 notches above the middle off the slider.

I tried using Malabar with various font sizes but couldn't get the bug to appear, sorry.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #115
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
potential bug for 2.4.0

Ok so today I loaded 3 books that had no drm protection on them to my ereader via drag and drop method to the sd card where I store all my books. When the reader was done processing my books the covers were all blank and two books had no visible content. To verify that the books were good I took the same books and droped them into caliber and everything showed fine. I had to do a pinhole reset to have all books show properly. I did not delete or reload the books on the Glo, but just did the pin hole reset.

Anyone else with similar issue?

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #116
tempest@de
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
Are these epubs or kepubs (i.e. side-loaded or bought from Kobo)?
they are kpubs sideloaded with the calibre kpub plugin, the original epub files were sideloaded books and one epub bought from the kobo store
Old 02-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #117
tempest@de
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I tried using Malabar with various font sizes but couldn't get the bug to appear, sorry.
thanks for trying GeoffR.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #118
lissandro.sosa
lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I find it a bit curious that on my Glo with 2.4.0, never is the last item on the drop down list for Sleep and Power --checking my daughter's Touch shows the same choices. And yet you don't see those choices.

Regards,
David
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1pB...it?usp=sharing

You can see i dont have this options, the last in the dropdown is 60 min.

In in the firmware 2.1.4,
lissandro.sosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #119
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lissandro.sosa View Post

You can see i dont have this options, the last in the dropdown is 60 min.

In in the firmware 2.1.4,
I'm wondering if this is linked to the source you purchased the Kobo from. Is this the original firmware on the Kobo with no updates? There should be a file in the .kobo directory named affiliate.conf. On my Glo purchased at Chapters, the affiliate= line reads affiliate=KoboIndigo. Does you see a similar line in yours? If so, what does it read? Continuing on into the Kobo directory inside the .kobo directory, there is a file called Kobo eReader.conf. On my Glo, there is a section inside the file labelled [PowerOptions]. If that section exists on your Kobo, what text follows the [PowerOptions] down to the next [header]? On my Glo with sleep and power off set to never, I get the following:

[PowerOptions]
AutoFrontLightOffMinutes=10
AutoOffMinutes=0
AutoSleepMinutes=0
FrontLightLevel=10

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #120
lissandro.sosa
lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm wondering if this is linked to the source you purchased the Kobo from. Is this the original firmware on the Kobo with no updates? There should be a file in the .kobo directory named affiliate.conf. On my Glo purchased at Chapters, the affiliate= line reads affiliate=KoboIndigo. Does you see a similar line in yours? If so, what does it read? Continuing on into the Kobo directory inside the .kobo directory, there is a file called Kobo eReader.conf. On my Glo, there is a section inside the file labelled [PowerOptions]. If that section exists on your Kobo, what text follows the [PowerOptions] down to the next [header]? On my Glo with sleep and power off set to never, I get the following:

[PowerOptions]
AutoFrontLightOffMinutes=10
AutoOffMinutes=0
AutoSleepMinutes=0
FrontLightLevel=10

Regards,
David
Hey David,

the firmware in the pics is the 2.4.0b (Old touch version), i sideload the 2.4.0a version before, but im having problem with Sync in wifi, but with this firmware I terminate the sync complete without error ( I feel this version more fast with epub.kepub)

This is the data has in the affiliate.conf

[General]
affiliate=Target

in Kobo eReader.conf, ( before I touch any setting )

[General]
AIRPLANE_MODE=true
hasSyncedExistingRelatedItems=true
lastLibrarySorterbooks=sortByTitle()
lastLibrarySorterhome=sortByNewest()
libraryBuilderBlueprint=sortByTitle()\nfilterByMin e()\nviewBy5List()
selectionStyle=underline

[ApplicationPreferences]
CurrentLocale=es_ES
EarliestChangeLog=2.4.0
FteLandingShown=true
HomePageShown=true
LastChangeLog=2.4.0
LastSyncTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%{\x1f\x2\xab\xb cH\x2)
PromotionsAvailable=true
showBreakTheSeal=false
showFirstTimeExperience=0

[Reading]
numPartialUpdatePageTurns=6
readingAdobeShowPageNumbers=false
readingFontFamily=default
readingFontSize=24
readingLeftMargin=2
readingLineHeight=1.4
readingRightMargin=2

[ReadingLife]
LastSocialAnnotationsSyncTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\ 0%z\xdc\0\xba\xdb\xf0\x2)
LastSocialPrivateBooksSyncTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10 \0%{\x1f\x2\xa8n\xfe\x2)

[Services]
ContactUsURL=http://webstore.kobobooks.com/71921/contact.html
EulaURL=http://webstore2.kobobooks.com/boutique/webstoretermsofuse
FirstTimeUXURL="https://secure.kobobooks.com/71921/ftux?pwspid={0}&wsa={1}&pwsdid={2}&pwsav={3}&pwsdm ={4}&pwspos={5}&pwspov={6}"
ForgotPasswordURL=https://www.kobobooks.com/passwordretrieval.html
ImageHandlerURL=http://ecimages.kobobooks.com/Image.ashx
PartnerProxyHandlerURL=https://mobilepartner.kobobooks.com/71921/mobileRequest.ashx
PrivacyURL=http://webstore2.kobobooks.com/boutique/webstoreprivacypolicy
PurchaseURL=https://partner.kobobooks.com/checkout.html
RequestURL=http://mobile.kobobooks.com/71921/mobileRequest.ashx
SecureURL="https://secure.kobobooks.com/71921/Purchase/Index?wscid=&ctype=&wsukey=&wsuid=&pwspid=&wsa=&Is Gift=False&isfte="
ServiceDomain=.kobobooks.com
SignInURL=
SocialAuthorizationURL=https://social.kobobooks.com:8443
SocialURL=https://social.kobobooks.com
WebsiteURL=http://www.kobobooks.com
WebstoreProxyURL=https://partner.kobobooks.com/71921
WebstoreURL=http://webstore2.kobobooks.com/71921

I dont have touch any Power setting, and my touch dont power off, ever sleep, as I wanna.

but, I make changes in the power setting, i put the sleep time in 5 min and poweroff in 30, and magically, add this options in kobo eReader.conf, I put the new kobo eReader.conf.

[General]
AIRPLANE_MODE=true
hasSyncedExistingRelatedItems=true
lastLibrarySorterbooks=sortByTitle()
lastLibrarySorterhome=sortByNewest()
libraryBuilderBlueprint=sortByTitle()\nfilterByMin e()\nviewBy5List()
selectionStyle=underline

[ApplicationPreferences]
CurrentLocale=es_ES
EarliestChangeLog=2.4.0
FteLandingShown=true
HomePageShown=true
LastChangeLog=2.4.0
LastSyncTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%{\x1f\x2\xab\xb cH\x2)
PromotionsAvailable=true
showBreakTheSeal=false
showFirstTimeExperience=0

[PowerOptions]
AutoFrontLightOffMinutes=5
AutoOffMinutes=30
AutoSleepMinutes=5

[Reading]
numPartialUpdatePageTurns=6
readingAdobeShowPageNumbers=false
readingFontFamily=default
readingFontSize=24
readingLeftMargin=2
readingLineHeight=1.4
readingRightMargin=2

[ReadingLife]
LastSocialAnnotationsSyncTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\ 0%z\xdc\0\xba\xdb\xf0\x2)
LastSocialPrivateBooksSyncTime=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10 \0%{\x1f\x2\xa8n\xfe\x2)

[Services]
ContactUsURL=http://webstore.kobobooks.com/71921/contact.html
EulaURL=http://webstore2.kobobooks.com/boutique/webstoretermsofuse
FirstTimeUXURL="https://secure.kobobooks.com/71921/ftux?pwspid={0}&wsa={1}&pwsdid={2}&pwsav={3}&pwsdm ={4}&pwspos={5}&pwspov={6}"
ForgotPasswordURL=https://www.kobobooks.com/passwordretrieval.html
ImageHandlerURL=http://ecimages.kobobooks.com/Image.ashx
PartnerProxyHandlerURL=https://mobilepartner.kobobooks.com/71921/mobileRequest.ashx
PrivacyURL=http://webstore2.kobobooks.com/boutique/webstoreprivacypolicy
PurchaseURL=https://partner.kobobooks.com/checkout.html
RequestURL=http://mobile.kobobooks.com/71921/mobileRequest.ashx
SecureURL="https://secure.kobobooks.com/71921/Purchase/Index?wscid=&ctype=&wsukey=&wsuid=&pwspid=&wsa=&Is Gift=False&isfte="
ServiceDomain=.kobobooks.com
SignInURL=
SocialAuthorizationURL=https://social.kobobooks.com:8443
SocialURL=https://social.kobobooks.com
WebsiteURL=http://www.kobobooks.com
WebstoreProxyURL=https://partner.kobobooks.com/71921
WebstoreURL=http://webstore2.kobobooks.com/71921

This add the AutoFrontLightOffMinutes=5 too, I dont know why if my devices is a kobo Touch.

if my mom had the ereader, as he explained that his reader that never went out before, always stayed in her sleep and change some settings before but wants to leave it as it was, I say you have to change some parameters in the Kobo eReader.conf file that is located in the folder .kobo / Kobo /?

I understand, are basic things like that are leaking, imagine your car without reverse? you can do to go back?
lissandro.sosa is offline   Reply With Quote