Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
kimkindle
kimkindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
usbNetwork doesn't work

On HOME screen I have entered in searchbar:

;debugOn
~usbNetwork

Device still is recognized as mass media - no NDIS/network device or whatever.
What am I missing?

Device : Kindle (3) Keyboard
Serial : B008
Firmware: 3.3

Thanks

Kim
kimkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkindle View Post
On HOME screen I have entered in searchbar:

;debugOn
~usbNetwork

Device still is recognized as mass media - no NDIS/network device or whatever.
What am I missing?

Device : Kindle (3) Keyboard
Serial : B008
Firmware: 3.3

Thanks

Kim
Did you jailbreak it and install the usbNetwork hack?

If so, try unplugging the USB cable and plugging it in again.

If not, install them...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
kimkindle

Hi geekmaster,

thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Did you jailbreak it and install the usbNetwork hack?

If so, try unplugging the USB cable and plugging it in again.

If not, install them...
No jailbreak yet - my idea was to backup things before I start poking around.

So ~usbNetwork does nothing without a hack? And how about that ~exec command. I thought it could be used to execute arbitrary shell scripts...
I put some simple commands like 'uname', 'mount', 'cat /etc/fstab', etc '>> output.txt' to a file and put it to to FAT in both 'documents' and '../documents' trying to run it by '~exec', but nothing!

Is there really no way in without jailbreaking first?

Greetings

Kim
Old 02-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Emrexcem
Turkish :)
Emrexcem began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (5.03)
Quote:
Hi geekmaster,

thanks for your reply.

No jailbreak yet - my idea was to backup things before I start poking around.

So ~usbNetwork does nothing without a hack? And how about that ~exec command. I thought it could be used to execute arbitrary shell scripts...
I put some simple commands like 'uname', 'mount', 'cat /etc/fstab', etc '>> output.txt' to a file and put it to to FAT in both 'documents' and '../documents' trying to run it by '~exec', but nothing!

Greetings

Kim
No there is'nt
Emrexcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Greetings

Kim
Yes there is.

You can use the same methods that jailbreaks use, except do not make changes to the root partition. After all, it would be a "chicken and egg" problem if you cannot run anything (like a jailbreak installer) until after a jailbreak installer has been run. Think about it...

On the kindles, "jailbreak" means installing a custom install key certificate file so that user-signed update*.bin backages (including hacks such as SSH) may be installed using the built-in kindle package installer. Most jailbreak packages ONLY install this key certificate file, and make no other changes to your root partition.

For example, ixtab's jailbreak runs RUNME.sh on the USB drive if it finds one. You can put stuff in that script. And you can modify the rest of the jailbreak code to ONLY run that script and NOT install a jailbreak.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-17-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Emrexcem

Quote:
Yes there is.

You can use the same methods that jailbreaks use, except do not make changes to the root partition. After all, it would be a "chicken and egg" problem if you cannot run anything (like a jailbreak installer) until after a jailbreak installer has been run. Think about it...

On the kindles, "jailbreak" means installing a custom install key certificate file so that user-signed update*.bin backages (including hacks such as SSH) may be installed using the built-in kindle package installer. Most jailbreak packages ONLY install this key certificate file, and make no other changes to your root partition.

For example, ixtab's jailbreak runs RUNME.sh on the USB drive if it finds one. You can put stuff in that script. And you can modify the rest of the jailbreak code to ONLY run that script and NOT install a jailbreak.
but it still does not mean that there is no way witout jailbreak it you just explained that the jailbreak does not remove any file . it add files
Old 02-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrexcem View Post
but it still does not mean that there is no way witout jailbreak it you just explained that the jailbreak does not remove any file . it add files
First of all, your "does not mean that there is no way" statement is a "double negative" statement that simplifies to "means that there MAY be a way". So, are you saying that you "may" agree with me, or did you just word that poorly and you meant to say that you disagree with me?

Actually, what I said before DOES mean that you can run a script WITHOUT doing a jailbreak. How many times must I repeat myself in different ways until you understand? As I also said before, you can modify a jailbreak script to NOT write the key certificate (or any other) files when it runs. For example, it could instead make backup copies of your root partition without changing anything on it.

You can run the RUNME.sh script without adding any files to the root partition using ixtab's method. I have successfully tested four additional methods of running custom scripts or user-compiled native code without modifying the root partition, and one of those methods can run my code in the kindle CPU "on-chip" memory, without needing to read or write ANYWHERE in the MMC storage (or even in the SDRAM memory), unless I want it to, even if the kindle is severely bricked. Of course, that code CAN read or write anywhere if it chooses to.

As I said, the JAILBREAK script writes a key certificate file, but it does not NEED to do that. It can be modified to just run the RUNME.sh script on the USB Drive.

And like I asked before, just how do you think a jailbreak script runs the FIRST time anyway, without already having been jailbroken? I already explained that. It is an example of the "chicken and egg" problem, also called "catch-22".

If you can run a script to actually DO a jailbreak, then you can instead run a script that does OTHER stuff but does NOT do a jailbreak.

Did you not understand my previous posts, or what? If you still wish to "correct" me, please get your facts straight first. Go read some books or something...

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-17-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Emrexcem

i wish that was simple as that . i always read books but not in your languge . The fackt that i dont know english well it doesnt mean . that you can humiliate me . second of all i understand what you are talking about runme .sh right know. when you explained now so there was an mis understanding becuse of my nonadvanced english skills believe me its not so easy when youre trying to learn english from a person that only knows english . İm sory becuse that i m trying to help next time you will be only person thats going to help .
Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
geekmaster

You still did not answer my questions. My intention is not to humiliate you. I do not know whether you were agreeing or disagreeing with me. I think disagreement. In English, double-negative statements can mean "yes or no", subject to vague interpretation. But that is not the point. The point is that I stated the technical details multiple times, trying very hard to make myself clear, giving examples to backup my claims.

If you want to "correct" me, you need to supply some evidence and examples to backup your claims. If you choose to feel humiliated by what I said instead of answering my questions, that is a personal problem. I wish to stick to the facts and discuss the technical issues.

So, if the problem is a language barrier issue rather than a technical one, then I am sorry. I do not know much Turkish myself. I only spent one week in Antalya.

My point is simply that if you can install a jailbreak, then you can run any arbitrary script on a machine that does not have a jailbreak installed. The point of a jailbreak is to allow installing SIGNED update packages that use a custom signing key. You can run unsigned scripts without a jailbreak, and you can install hacks and apps directly with an unsigned script. Using signed update packages is just a convenience that is easier for most people.

Üzgünüm

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-17-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #10
Emrexcem

İn the first post i di not understand you but when you explained for the second time i got it. And iwas dis agreeing becuse itought that you are trying to explaine that jb is not dangerous.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
kimkindle

Hi geekmaster,

thanks again!

Quote:
You can run the RUNME.sh script without adding any files to the root partition using ixtab's method. I have successfully tested four additional methods of running custom scripts or user-compiled native code without modifying the root partition, and one of those methods can run my code in the kindle CPU "on-chip" memory, without needing to read or write ANYWHERE in the MMC storage (or even in the SDRAM memory),
Well that sounds pretty interesting to me, first of all because it's all ASCII (no bin to be disARMed), but, it's for Kindle4 and KindleTouch while I'm using KindleKeyboard!

And if you have a look at here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=380
Phrases like: "..think that we're pretty safe..", in conjunction with: "If that value [MNTUS_PART_OFFSET] is wrong then we lose any ability to mount that partition" doesn't encourage me too much!

Do you have a KindleKeyboard yourself and could you explain how to backup the whole system "as is" without remounting / rw?

If I only get my restoreable image first, I'm open to experiments.

Could you also confirm my assumption that there are three "parts" on the kindles storage, which are (rear to front): 3. userstorage (/mnt/us) FAT32, 2. systempartitions (/dev/mmcblk*) ext2/3? and finally 1. bootstrap <- which will show up with a restore option if the system is seriously broken?

Greetings

Kim
Old 02-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #12
geekmaster

Quote:
Hi geekmaster,

thanks again!

Well that sounds pretty interesting to me, first of all because it's all ASCII (no bin to be disARMed), but, it's for Kindle4 and KindleTouch while I'm using KindleKeyboard!

And if you have a look at here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=380
Phrases like: "..think that we're pretty safe..", in conjunction with: "If that value [MNTUS_PART_OFFSET] is wrong then we lose any ability to mount that partition" doesn't encourage me too much!

Do you have a KindleKeyboard yourself and could you explain how to backup the whole system "as is" without remounting / rw?

If I only get my restoreable image first, I'm open to experiments.

Could you also confirm my assumption that there are three "parts" on the kindles storage, which are (rear to front): 3. userstorage (/mnt/us) FAT32, 2. systempartitions (/dev/mmcblk*) ext2/3? and finally 1. bootstrap <- which will show up with a restore option if the system is seriously broken?

Greetings

Kim
I have all but a kindle 1 and kindle 2 (I want both of them for testing my code). On my k3, I have SSH and the onscreen terminal (myts) installed. From there, you can do "dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img bs=1024". In most of the older posts here on mobileread the partition backup files for k3 are called "mmcblk0p1.dmp" instead (different file extension). You can search the forums for more details.

The MMC contains a number of "disk" partitions defined by a partition table, but it also contains extra partitons stored outside the "disk" on the mmc. These include a bootloader called u-boot, and may also contain bist (built-in self test), and perhaps even fastboot mode. I have not studied the k3 layout. It is defined in the gpl source code and in the scripts, if you want to study it.

I have custom u-boot images for k4 and k5 (touch). I do not know how to get into USB Downloader (USB HID) mode on the k3 or earlier. Holding down one of the keys while powering it on should do that. The device USB VID/PID changes to 0x15a2/0x0052 in USB Downloader mode. Custom u-boot images can be used to repair a bricked kindle.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-18-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
mikromel
mikromel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Hello ppl,
im new to this forum and to kindle.
I have the Kindle touch and need help with the SSH. I installed the jailbreak, works (i hope).
But I cant get the SSH to work, neither USB or over WiFi. I always get the error connection refused. But in the iptables seem to be all OK

can pls some1 help me? I tried to connect from W7 and Ubuntu, same problem...

thx
mikromel
mikromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
geekmaster

Quote:
I do not know how to get into USB Downloader (USB HID) mode on the k3 or earlier. Holding down one of the keys while powering it on should do that. The device USB VID/PID changes to 0x15a2/0x0052 in USB Downloader mode. Custom u-boot images can be used to repair a bricked kindle.
On the kindle 3, USB Downloader mode is entered if "Volume -" is pressed when the power switched is released after a long (20 seconds) hold. It uses a different USB VID/PID (0x15a2/0x0030) than the iMX50-based kindles (K4nt and Touch). Instead of freescale "MfgTool", it uses freescale "AdvancedToolkit" to download and run code in the kindle 3.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
kimkindle

Hi geekmaster,

you wrote:

Quote:
On my k3, I have SSH and the onscreen terminal (myts) installed. From there, you can do "dd
Well 'from there' is the problem - my intention is still to save up the system, before I apply any 'extras'

Quote:
I do [...] know how to get into USB Downloader (USB HID) mode on the k3
That's fine, and it works the way you mentioned (Vol- + POWER), but, how does that help me? I think I'm not fully aware of what 'USB Downloader Mode' means?
Tried it with my XP and device manager came up, asking to install new hardware and unfortunately also asked for some driver it couldn't find...

ANY hint on that one?

Greetings

Kim

P.S.: About that '~exec' command - according to my readings it should act like a 'sudo' without the need for authentification, could you confirm on that?

Last edited by kimkindle; 02-19-2012 at 08:20 PM.