Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
Marquis
Marquis began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Connect to itunes for Calibre doesn't work anymore

Or that's what i'm assuming because the send to device doesn't appear and if I right click on a book and do send to device all my options are greyed out.

I've got windows 7 ultimate itunes 10.5.3.3 and 0.8.36 for clibre

any ideas what happened? granted i hadn't added any books in a couple of months so i have no idea why connect to itunes doesn't work
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Are your devices all on the same network?

I've had issues too, my Sony works fine, my iPhone doesnt, regardless of which app I use. Cant work it out, been given a gazillion ways to sort it and nothing works so I do sideloading only, these days.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
knitsteve
knitsteve began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, Kindle
I've noticed that it's become hit or miss as to whether Windows starts the required services correctly - or at all! You can force Windows to activate the services which fixes the problem. Whether it's a Windows or an iOS fault I'm not sure, but I suspect Windows as my elderly iPhone and much newer iPod Touch use different iOS versions.
knitsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
alice302
Banned
alice302 began at the beginning.

Device: none
how about closing your itunes and then open it again? my itunes once did not work, i restart it and it works.
alice302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
iTunes is trash on windows, it's very common for the itunes services to crash as I've no other services on my PC that crash it's definitely solely an Apple feature. I also wouldn't put it past Apple to purposely block Calibre.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
iTunes is trash on windows, it's very common for the itunes services to crash as I've no other services on my PC that crash it's definitely solely an Apple feature. I also wouldn't put it past Apple to purposely block Calibre.
That seems unlikely given that many people have zero issues. I am not one, however.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:38 AM   #7
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
That seems unlikely given that many people have zero issues. I am not one, however.
Well they have blocked iexplorer (used to be iphone explorer) on recent itunes versions, the same code could easily be blocking calibre and other third party programs, people on older versions would probably not notice.

Just for the record Bonjour crashes on my system anytime my net disconnects for even an instant and I've nothing else on my system that ever crashes. I honestly think Apple are terrible at software, tried safari once and it crashed every five minutes as well.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Well they have blocked iexplorer (used to be iphone explorer) on recent itunes versions, the same code could easily be blocking calibre and other third party programs, people on older versions would probably not notice.

Just for the record Bonjour crashes on my system anytime my net disconnects for even an instant and I've nothing else on my system that ever crashes. I honestly think Apple are terrible at software, tried safari once and it crashed every five minutes as well.
Its a system issue then, for you. Iexplorer and phoneview both work just fine here, OSX 10.7.3 and iTunes 10.5. Apple aren't terrible at software, that's a sweeping generalisation which isn't useful to you: perhaps some research and posting in http://discussions.apple.com might help you find the source of the problem
Old 02-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
Teknikal
Fanatic

Yeah that's likely over 100 services on my windows pc and none of them ever crash except Apples so it must be my pc has a problem and not Apple being lousy at software. I'm sure on OSX it's different matter but on Windows iTunes is the most shoddily programmed piece of trash I've ever seen.

And you can't claim I'm bias as the only reason I have iTunes at all is I have a 64gb iPod Touch.

edit: I don't want to come across as a jerk but that's my honest experience with Apple software and I've had the same issues trying on my laptop as my main PC so it definitely isn't as uncommon as you would like to think.

Last edited by Teknikal; 02-18-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:

edit: I don't want to come across as a jerk but that's my honest experience with Apple software and I've had the same issues trying on my laptop as my main PC so it definitely isn't as uncommon as you would like to think.
You failed. I have suggested that going to discussions and doing some research and posting your issues might get you a solution and you have completely ignored that.

I have friends on PCs who have experienced NO problems with itunes except that they hate it, and use it only for the same reason you do... no crashing of anything. I have a netbook running Windows 7 starter. No problems.

Go and post in discussions. No point complaining in here, where clearly there is no solution.