Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
gorham09
gorham09 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Question about metatag editing and then adding titles to the Connect library

Hello everyone! I am new to the forums (a wonderful source of information, by the way) and was hoping someone might be able to answer a question.

After spending several hours browsing through posts in the various forums here, I decided to try out libprs500. I was using libprs500 graphical interface to edit some metatags. However, I'm a loss as to how to add a title to the Connect Library after editing the metatags in libprs500. When I try it the title seems to be added but nothing seems to have changed, the title seems to be the same as before editing. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?
gorham09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The libprs500 GUI maintains its own copy of the file. It doesn't affect the original file. If you want to edit the metadata of the original file, you need to use the lrf-meta command line tool which is part of libprs500.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Will this work on the *.lrx format?
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, it won't. DRM protected files can't have their metadata edited.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
That's a shame because the metadata from the Connect bookstore isn't all that clean. For example the author's name is usually Firstname Lastname, where as Bookdesigner puts them in the opposite order. I know I can change Bookdesigner but Last, First is much easier to find. So, I have some books listed under "Nelson DeMille" and others under "DeMille Nelson". Also, some of the titles are in all caps and some aren't. The all caps is a nit but the author field is a problem.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
if you use the libprs500 GUI for organizing/transferring files to your reader you wont need to worry about the actual metadata in the file as it maintains its own metadata and transfers it to the reader when uploading.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #7
gorham09

Dupe post

Last edited by gorham09; 08-17-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
gorham09

Thanks for the replies (and for the wonderful software kovidgoyal). I hope I can trouble everyone with a few follow up questions.

Am I correct that libprs500 and the Connect software cannot be used together? I seem to remember reading about a driver conflict somewhere. So if I want to use libprs500 GUI to transfer files, I then have to uninstall Connect? If I edit some metadata with libprs500, and then transfer the files to the reader using libprs500, will the files on the reader, if they are later added to the Connect library reflect the altered metadata?

Finally, are there any helpful hints or instructions available (beyond the command line -help option) available for editing metadata using the command line? I am afraid I am a bit of a novice when it comes to command line tools. (although I did just finish my first html2lrf conversion ).