Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Motto
Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Inconsistent Display of Cover

Hello All,
I have begun noticing that not all of the ebooks I transfer with Calibre and add with Adobe display the cover when the Kobo is shut off. Instead, I see the Kobo logo and slogan. I have been adding a jpeg into the cover file before beginning the transfer to epub. All covers display when the books are opened, but only some display when the device is powered down.
Any chance that I'm missing something? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Not a big issue I realize; I have been thoroughly enjoying my purchase!
Cheers
Motto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
I had some similar issues with cover art, and after some tinkering I found out that the Kobo doesn't seem to delete cached cover art for ePub files we add/delete ourselves (dunno if the same hold true for 'official' books from the Kobo store).

So in my case, I tested a few of my ebooks on the Kobo to check for formatting issues before I actually added the cover art to the epub. The Kobo had cached these epubs with no cover art, and still displayed the default power off screen even after I added the cover.

Here's the solution I've found:

Plug in your Kobo, delete the ePub book from the device.

Go to the '.kobo\images' folder, and find the 3 files that correspond to the book your having issued with, they are named like this:
file____mnt_onboard_!!PATH!!_!!NAME!! - !!FORMAT!!.parsed
where !!PATH!! is the path to the epub on the device, !!NAME!! is the filename of the epub, and !!FORMAT!! corresponds to the 3 sizes the Kobo extracts the cover art to, so it can show it on different platforms/scenarios.

Delete these 3 cached files, then unplug the Kobo from the computer. Now load the book back and let the Kobo reprocess and recreate these cached images.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
Sub_Optimal
Sub_Optimal began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Sorry for posting in this old thread, but I'm looking for an answer to the same question.

I'm afraid that I've ruled out Stinger's solution as a workaround by taking the following steps:

1. Removing the book, rebooting, adding the book, rebooting does not cause the cover to appear when in 'sleep'.

2. Inspecting the file____mnt_onboard_[...].parsed files for the book reveals that they are valid image files with the correct book cover.

So the problem is not corrupt or missing file____mnt_onboard_[...].parsed files.

Interestingly, I notice that the 'missing' book covers do display under the following circumstances:

a) the book in question was the last book open before the device was turned off
b) The device has gone into sleep mode directly after turning on without loading the book yet.

When this occurs, the 'missing' cover displays normally, even though it stops displaying on sleep mode after the book has been loaded.

Any thoughts?
Sub_Optimal is offline   Reply With Quote