Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #46
quig
quig began at the beginning.

Device: Jornada 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzetta View Post
My father is 6'8", and his fingers are twice as thick as my thumb. He can not use my iPhone worth a hoot, even dialing is tricky for him. Stylus-type sticks do not help a bit since they are usually like 3 inches long. He says it's like trying to write with a toothpick. (They also don't work on the iPhone.)
Perhaps your father could try using a capacitive stylus such as the BoxWave (available from Amazon), which will work on your iPhone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzetta View Post
And they also make life more difficult on the visibly impaired ... good luck on feeling your way to the right spot on a touch screen w/out hitting anything else!

The only solution I can see would to have it barking out the name of every spot you touched, and having to do like a triple tap to open something and I think that would be too annoying for words.
The iPad and iPhone do this (Apple calls it VoiceOver), and it doesn't seem to annoy these people:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEDzitE2w_0
http://behindthecurtain.us/2010/06/1...th-the-iphone/
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ve.html?cat=15

Last edited by quig; 11-25-2010 at 08:31 PM.
quig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #47
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastlondonboy View Post
... you ... should go read my book ...
Let me know when it's open source.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #48
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Except.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Agree. I have both a Kindle and a 650 and though I love the Kindle for many reasons the form is really beginning to look outdated. The 650 is IMO less clunky to use.
The Sony PRS650 looks great and the touch screen from what I hear works perfectly. However, if you are lying in bed, with a touch screen you would need two hands to navigate and highlight. With the Kindle it can all be done with just the one hand: hold the K3 and highlight / navigate.

Just my thought,

Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #49
Eastlondonboy
Banned
Eastlondonboy doesn't litterEastlondonboy doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
The Sony PRS650 looks great and the touch screen from what I hear works perfectly. However, if you are lying in bed, with a touch screen you would need two hands to navigate and highlight. With the Kindle it can all be done with just the one hand: hold the K3 and highlight / navigate.

Just my thought,

Hal.
I'm fairly convinced that Kindle won't work with a touch screen as fingerprints will spoil the beautiful ink screen.
Eastlondonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #50
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Hal, did you miss that the 650 has buttons too? It can be operated with one hand.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #51
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What is open source?
Well, of course, I was alluding to something else that's free, as I didn't want to offend you by suggestion that you give your book away free-of-charge. But heck, now we're here, so close to the season of giving gifts and you're Santa Claus ...

Quote:
... Kindle won't work with a touch screen as fingerprints will spoil the beautiful ink screen ...
Why not? Sony readers use the same e-ink technology, so far as I know, and fingerprints certainly aren't a problem with them. If I didn't know better, I'd jokingly suggest that perhaps fingerprints were vapourised by the infra-red beams of the touch-screen.

Last edited by boxcorner; 11-28-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #52
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Hal, did you miss that the 650 has buttons too? It can be operated with one hand.
There are occasions when two-handed operation become necessary, but most of the time I just use my 650 single-handedly. I have the cover with light, which can be propped open. So, whilst lying in bed, the reader rests on the bedding, with the cover at right-angles to the screen. Then I need only use my right hand to steady the reader and operate the touch-screen (highlight / navigate), which can be done easily enough, both at the same time. Also, the open cover shades the light for anyone who happens to be on the left-hand side.

Last edited by boxcorner; 11-28-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #53
Eastlondonboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
There are occasions when two-handed operation become necessary, but most of the time I just use my 650 single-handedly. I have the cover with light, which can be propped open. So, whilst lying in bed, the reader rests on the bedding, with the cover at right-angles to the screen. Then I need only use my right hand to steady the reader and operate the touch-screen (highlight / navigate), which can be done easily enough, both at the same time. Also, the open cover shades the light for anyone who happens to be on the left-hand side.
You can also buy the cover thing with light for a Kindle...
Old 11-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #54
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
... It seems pretty counter-intuitive to use the arrows and the cursor to move around the screen ...
So, apart from having to move arrows around the screen, is there anything else that you think could be improved? By the way, which Kindle do you have?
Old 11-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #55
Eastlondonboy
Banned

Quote:
So, apart from having to move arrows around the screen, is there anything else that you think could be improved? By the way, which Kindle do you have?
I've got the one currently on sale in England. I suppose it must be the latest version, with 3G.

I think colour is another improvement - it's annoying not being able to see book covers in colour.

Apart from that, I'd say it's a pretty good product. I expect it will sell a lot in the UK pre-Christmas.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:32 AM   #56
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
... I suppose it must be the latest version, with 3G ...
Do you use the 3G much?
Old 11-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #57
Eastlondonboy
Banned

Quote:
Do you use the 3G much?
Yes, the 3G is excellent. If I'm, say, in a pub, I can show friends what I'm reading at the moment, or show off my own novel! I mean as a book in the Kindle Store. The other day a friend mentioned someone he knew who had a book out and I was able to search and find it using the 3G facility.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #58
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
I'm fairly convinced that Kindle won't work with a touch screen as fingerprints will spoil the beautiful ink screen.
well, stop using it after using KY "Warming Gel"
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #59
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
hmmm yeah, i sort of understand the large fingers thing too. i always keep pressing the wrong keys

OBVIOUSLY this isn't apple's fault but MY fault. know what i should do? chop off some fat from my fingers. /sarcasm

anyway, if kindle is going touch, i want a stylus that looks like a pencil. or a beautiful pen ;D
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #60
quasiv
quasiv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
To my mind, the Kindle is a (comparatively) cheap and cheap-looking device. I’m almost certain I would never have got an e-reader if there wasn’t a basic, unflashy/uncool one like the Kindle around. Since I’ve started using it I’ve discovered that my idea of “uncool” is different than other peoples’, but that’s another story.

I love that it doesn’t have a touchscreen. I like to hold it in one hand and “turn” the pages with the slightest flex of my thumb. I like to watch as everyone (everyone!) I show it to jabs fruitlessly at the screen with their fingers.

I’m sure the touchscreen will be a long shortly, but I do hope that this appears as an another model and that a device with the basic features remains on the market and just gets cheaper and cheaper.
quasiv is offline   Reply With Quote