Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #31
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
...(with apologies to Danger who was trying to keep this thread free of noise)
Yeah, I had really thought we might be able to keep this thread narrowed down to just bug reports. Please and thanks.

Bug: Font size changing from readable to smallest setting.

Reproducible: Yes but appears randomly. I didn't see it for a few chapters making think this had been fixed. Had it appear two chapters in a row now.

[EDIT]: Bug is now appearing every chapter. Difference is that now I am turning off the Kobo rather than just putting it to sleep.

New: NO, bug was present in previous firmwares

Kepub or epub: epub on SD card.

Workaround: tap font setting, change to/from justified/non-justified and font will change from smallest size to the size the user had it at.

Last edited by Danger; 03-11-2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Bug Update
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #32
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
When I wake my Glo from sleep mode using the power switch, it goes back to sleep again 60 seconds later unless I touch the screen. When it goes back to sleep it turns off the light, and next time I wake it the light is still off.

I've seen this bug reported for earlier firmware versions by people who use a sleep cover to wake the device, but in 2.4.0 the bug now also occurs when waking with the power switch.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Bug: Kobo not remembering the exact page where you left off reading when put to sleep. On awake, book is 1 or 2 pages back from where you left off

Reproducible: Yes

Kepub or epub: epub on Micro SD card.

Workaround: Change margin setting to zero.
I am not seeing this. I didn't comment when you posted as you said it is for epubs on the micro SD card. But, I have since put a card in and tested. Opening an epub returns to the right spot no matter the margins settings and where the epub is stored.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #34
lissandro.sosa
lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lissandro.sosa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch
Bug: If you change shutdown time, you cant let the device to no shutdown ( ever sleep )

Reproducible: Yes, if you let the settings as is, the device never shutdown, if you change the settings, then the option never is not showned in the shutdown option as the sleep time option.

Kepub or epub: N /A

Workaround: I dont know how make the kobo never shutdown, ever sleep. (mmmm., i think if I make a full reset and sideloaded the 2.4.0 firmware and not touch the sleep and shutdown settings)
lissandro.sosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #35
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
I have selected French as my interface language and Kobo displays the date as DD/MM/YYYY.

I guess that Kobo decided to impose to all English-speaking customers the American date system instead of offering the choice with the international date system. Same thing happen often with hours, when instead of simply using 1 to 24, you need to add AM or PM so that people can figure out what time of day you're talking about.

Not a bug strictly speaking, but one of those "cultural" issues that makes everybody royally bothered as this thread demonstrates. On one hand, Americans cannot understand the level of fuss non-Americans will raise about this, for them it's just a friggin date after all. On the other hand, you have the rest of the planet frustrated at this confusing way of showing dates where instead of logically starting from biggest to smallest (YYYYMMDD) or smallest to biggest (DDMMYYYY), the guy in the middle (MM) is placed first...

Although I understand it shouldn't be such a high priority for Kobo, it shouldn't be that difficult to implement either. Standard coding routines for this stuff have existed for decades. It's an oversight from Kobo.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:28 AM   #36
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar View Post
I have selected French as my interface language and Kobo displays the date as DD/MM/YYYY.

I guess that Kobo decided to impose to all English-speaking customers the American date system instead of offering the choice with the international date system. Same thing happen often with hours, when instead of simply using 1 to 24, you need to add AM or PM so that people can figure out what time of day you're talking about.

Not a bug strictly speaking, but one of those "cultural" issues that makes everybody royally bothered as this thread demonstrates. On one hand, Americans cannot understand the level of fuss non-Americans will raise about this, for them it's just a friggin date after all. On the other hand, you have the rest of the planet frustrated at this confusing way of showing dates where instead of logically starting from biggest to smallest (YYYYMMDD) or smallest to biggest (DDMMYYYY), the guy in the middle (MM) is placed first...

Although I understand it shouldn't be such a high priority for Kobo, it shouldn't be that difficult to implement either. Standard coding routines for this stuff have existed for decades. It's an oversight from Kobo.
Exactly.
Thanks.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #37
mutant_matt
Enthusiast
mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Touch
And they have implemented a method per language already, so they just need to distinguish between English, "US English", "Canadian English" etc, instead of lumping all "English" into presuming "American", or just have a date format setting, and let the user decide for themselves.

Are there actually any bug *fixes* in 2.4.0? then?
mutant_matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

As a fellow Canadian, you should be more accepting of various date formats considering that a mix of DD/MM/YYYY and MM/DD/YYYY is commonly seen. As near I as recall, the Canadian English standard is DD/MM/YYYY and the Canadian French standard is YYYY-MM-DD but when in bed with an elephant...

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #39
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant_matt View Post
And they have implemented a method per language already, so they just need to distinguish between English, "US English", "Canadian English" etc, instead of lumping all "English" into presuming "American",
They actually have, though it's not in the UI. See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206200

en_CA and en_GB also work... the latter will also give you 24h clock
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #40
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As a fellow Canadian, you should be more accepting of various date formats considering that a mix of DD/MM/YYYY and MM/DD/YYYY is commonly seen. As near I as recall, the Canadian English standard is DD/MM/YYYY and the Canadian French standard is YYYY-MM-DD but when in bed with an elephant...

Regards,
David
You're right. As Canada is close to the U.S., being in bed with the elephant does apply The MM/DD/YY is quite frequent indeed in Canada.

In itself, the MM/DD/YY is not a problem when you are looking at a date past the 12th of the month. Looking at something like 05/23/13 makes you almost instantly realize that this date is in American format as we don't have 23 months....But when faced with 05/01/13, it becomes fuzzy: is this May 1st or January 5th

(I understand that it's a mistake not to list 4 digits for the year in international notation, but maddeningly, some people do use only 2 digits for this purpose, making the whole thing even more confusing!)

As I said, it's far from being a showstopper, but I can understand why some people are annoyed that something that basic in terms of user-design "best practices" was not considered.

Last edited by Tzar; 02-19-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
(I understand that it's a mistake not to list 4 digits for the year in international notation, but maddeningly, some people do use only 2 digits for this purpose, making the whole thing even more confusing!)

As I said, it's far from being a showstopper, but I can understand why some people are annoyed that something that basic in terms of user-design "best practices" was not considered.
As you said, it's can get very annoying but not a showstopper though it does suggest that Kobo has a ways to go in UI design.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #42
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
How many more pages are going to be wasted on talking about the date "feature". I thought this thread was for bugs.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #43
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I am not seeing this. I didn't comment when you posted as you said it is for epubs on the micro SD card. But, I have since put a card in and tested. Opening an epub returns to the right spot no matter the margins settings and where the epub is stored.
It definitely happened. However after reading what that you were unable to reproduce it, I have been specifically watching for this bug and haven't noticed it again. I did start a new book since I reported that bug. Will continue to keep a lookout for it.

Edited the bug report to reflect this.

Last edited by Danger; 02-20-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #44
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Ok so today I opened a book on my KG and noticed for the first time since installing the 2.4.0 firmware a bug. So I have finally experianced the bug where the page is not where I left off in the book But rather a couple of pages previous to where I left off. I can now understand the frustration of this particular Bug. On that note have any of the Kobo Developers shed any light on this round of Firmware Bugginess? Would be nice if they did offer some insight if possible.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #45
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I have that problem with the Kobo Glo not remembering which page I was on. Usually it at least worked when I was at the beginning of a chapter, though. But today I turned it on and nope, it was a page behind. Annoying!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote