Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Lexicon
Enthusiast
Lexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
What would tempt you to upgrade?

I'm pretty happy with my 505, especially since EPUB support was added. I got to thinking what Sony would need to add in a future model to get me upgrade.

Personally I'd require the new device to support pen/touchscreen input. The ability to scribble short notes or corrections while reading would be a great feature. A lot of the eBooks I read contain formatting errors and small mistakes which I spot while reading - I'd like to be able to circle a misspelled word or underline stuff that should be in italics so I can go back afterwards and correct the master copy on my PC.

I'd also require a bigger screen, 8-9" would be ideal as that approaches the size of the text area of a page the average hardback novel. I think it'd be more comfortable to read and would give more space for making notes. I think the screen could be increased to that size without seriously compromising the portability and reading ergonomics of the device.

If Sony create a model with a larger screen, pen input and price it at around the current $300 point then I'll upgrade. Anything short of that and I'll stick with my 505.

Most of the other possible enhancements are of little importance to me:

Colour screen: I mostly read novels so black and white works fine for me. It'd be nice to have but wouldn't justify an upgrade on it's own.

Wifi/3G/Bluetooth networking: I'm happy to use my computer to download, format and transfer content to the device. A wireless content delivery system would only become a "must upgrade" feature if the content industry really got on board and I could choose from a range of hundreds of magazines and newspapers to be downloaded to the device automatically on a set schedule.

Internet browsing: Not interested. At the moment I am just looking for an electronic reading device that can deliver a similar experience to reading a paper book or magazine.

Other OS support: I use Windows mostly, so adding official support for Macs or Linux wouldn't mean much to me.

Device software improvements: It'd be nice to have dictionary support and better handling of large libraries but I wouldn't upgrade to a new device just to get them.

Wider format support (on the device): I'm pretty confident that EPUB will quickly become the industry standard, so as long as EPUB is supported natively I'm happy. If I had owned a 500 then the EPUB support on the 505 would have prompted an upgrade from me - I consider it to be that important.

Keyboard: I find small keyboards more trouble than they are worth, and a decent size one would increase the size of the device unacceptably. Pen input would be better suited to the small amount of annotation I envisage myself doing.

So, what features would prompt you to upgrade? Note that I'm not asking what your ideal Reader would be - I'm sure we'd all like a cheap electronic reading device that can do absolutely everything - I'm asking what feature or couple of features could Sony add to the next model that would make it a "must have" for you?
Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
There's not much I want that's not in the 505. Maybe better on-board or pc-based filing system, to put things in groups, etc. (The Groups function is weak at best, and doesn't even remove the repeat listings in the main menus.) I wouldn't mind a slightly bigger screen with improved contrast, although the 505 screen fits lots of text and keeps the Reader portable. I don't know if any of these would rise to the level of a "must upgrade" feature.

I DON'T want a huge screen (and less-portable device), nor a keyboard or touchscreen (I use my Reader for reading and it does that well!). I don't need/want wifi, or color, or anything else that would make the Reader bigger/pricier/more complicated or would eat up batteries faster. In fact, I wouldn't mind if Sony removed the mp3 capability. I don't listen to music when I read (too distracting), I have a real digital music player for music, and I detest (and cannot listen to) audiobooks--it does not fit with any kind of reading experience for me. Any mp3 player can play audiobooks--it's not necessary on a reading device imo.

For straight-up reading, the 505 is pretty darned good, as are the similar devices (V3, Cybook). If people want wifi, color, keyboards and dictionaries, browsing, etc., why not just get an ultralight laptop? E-ink is made for static greyscale displays and is great for reading. I HOPE future Reader models don't become bulky, kludgy, feature-drowned battery hogs!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
I'm pretty happy with my 505, especially since EPUB support was added. I got to thinking what Sony would need to add in a future model to get me upgrade.

(whole list of features of which touchscreen/pen and larger screen stand out)
So basically you want the Iliad, but probably at the Sony price?

Anyway, since I got the 505, I'm would not consider upgrading at any point in time before the 2nd-gen color e-ink devices (so the ones that come out after the kinks have hopefully been hammered out).

In my ideal dream reader, I would like a folding dual-screen (color screens, of course) device with a multi-cardreader (preferably 2 slots), reasonable amount of RAM, WLAN/BT/EVDO, touch screen, near-A4 size screens, and long battery life. And cheap, of course

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-12-2008 at 06:44 PM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
I love the reader as is, but

I would KILL for the sangria red one they are releasing. I don't need new features like WiFi, don't need a color screen - because most books are not color anyway - don't need a bigger screen. I like the button placements and functions on the 505. It functions pretty much just as I'd like.

But I LOVE red, and I never get the red electronics (like the iPod, for example) because I always jump the gun and have to have something immediately. I can't justify getting a red one just because I want one. Perhaps I could fall down while carrying my boring old silver reader and break the screen.....
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
How about a combination of my Palm TX (color, fast bootup, a variety of utilities, etc.), my Cybook (ability to read several formats, easily readable in bright light, etc.), and the Readius (foldable to shirt pocket size). Oh Yeah, at a price less than $100 which I realize is unimaginably low for the features I want but you asked.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
well, the iliad but with a decent battery life... 12 hours is very sad.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #7
Lexicon
Enthusiast
Lexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
So basically you want the Iliad, but probably at the Sony price?
I did look at the Iliad but several things stopped me from buying one. The main one, as you mentioned, is price; the Sony Reader is already at the top end of what I would consider paying for an electronic reading device (even one with added bells and whistles).

Also, from what I read on this and other forums, it seemed that the Iliad didn't have the polish necessary for a consumer oriented device. The impression I got was that the Iliad didn't have the software to back up the impressive hardware feature list and that, if I got one, I'd spend more time working around the limitations of the device than using it for the tasks it was bought for.

I want what the Iliad could have been, had it been developed by an experienced consumer electronics manufacturer (and priced sensibly, heh).
Old 08-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
What would tempt me?

Faster page turn. Better screen contrast. Ability to carry more in memory without such slow access. Keyboard or touch, mostly to use a dictionary or add notes to pages. Folds or rolls to store smaller. Integrated top-lighting system. Damage and theft warranty. Wifi or BT sync connection (and Calibre or any other device management software not written by a brain damaged preteen).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
Lexicon
Enthusiast

So if Sony's next reader doesn't do all that you won't bother upgrading? I'd say the product team has some work to do!

I'm getting the impression that people are generally happy with the 505 and that it would take something pretty special to get them to spend more money on another reader. Is that an accurate assessment?

If so it must be quite worrying for Sony; I imagine they are working on incremental improvements for the next model, rather than planning major increases in functionality. If that is the case their next device might be a tough sell to anybody who already has a 505.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
I currently have the PRS-500 and I don't really have that many wants as far as the hardware is concerned. There are two hardware issues that I would likely upgrade for:

1. Faster page turns and more responsive menus - I understand that the 505, especially after the last firmware update has this issue taken care of.

2. The ability to load books on the device without the use of a computer - Something like the "Whispernet" feature on the kindle or wifi. Of course with these features I would like the ability to turn them off when not in use to save battery life.

With the above being said I would honestly settle for a software upgrade. I find it cumbersome to have to deal with a Windows PC every time I want to buy and load a few books from the Sony ebook store. It would be outstanding if Sony could make the software cross platform for Mac at a minimum and possibly even Linux.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
I would KILL for the sangria red one they are releasing. I don't need new features like WiFi, don't need a color screen - because most books are not color anyway - don't need a bigger screen. I like the button placements and functions on the 505. It functions pretty much just as I'd like.

But I LOVE red, and I never get the red electronics (like the iPod, for example) because I always jump the gun and have to have something immediately. I can't justify getting a red one just because I want one. Perhaps I could fall down while carrying my boring old silver reader and break the screen.....
Me too!! I do however have the 2nd gen iPod nano in red! I soooooo much want the sangria red Reader to go in my red Dooney & Bourke cover but I'll probably just get a red Skinit skin and suffer in silence.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Marciacat, do you think...

Sony would allow us to trade in our readers on an upgrade like they are doing for the 500 owners?
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #13
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I would love to see the iLiad screen size which I feel is a great approximation of a hardback book coupled with the thin and svelt design of the Sony. Also, keep the instant on and great battery life of the Sony.

The new 9.7" screens which are supposed to be coming at some point over the next few months seem like they would make the device too big for general reading although they might be great for technical type texts.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #14
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
I lived with reading on a PocketPC for about 6 years until it died. I think that until my reader dies I'll stick with it. I'm hoping by that time we'll be into 2nd gen colour screens and a lot lower price. Then maybe have a small reader for fiction and big one for magazine/newspaper/comic content. If the industry has gone that way.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #15
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
We can dream Janet, can't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
Marciacat, do you think... Sony would allow us to trade in our readers on an upgrade like they are doing for the 500 owners?
I wish.......I really wish they would. i remember when the 505 came out saying that if only it came in red it would be perfect. Let me know if you try to exchange yours!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote