Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Question How do YOU manage read and borrowed books?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I searched through the forums and couldn't find something similar. I apologize if I just missed it.

I am trying to figure out a better system to how to keep track of what books I have already downloaded- which ones are free, which ones I borrowed from library and which ones I have bought- as well as which ones I have actually already transfered to my reader and have read.

It gets confusing right now since when I download library ebooks, I get an ascm file and then when that is opened in the dreadful horrible software known as ADE, the PDF is in a separate file altogether now.

Anyway- I am just interested in if anyone can give suggestions on how to manage my ebooks better so that I don't end up downloading a book I may have already read some time ago.

I don't know if others are keeping a running list in ADE, reader library, folders on computer, ect. I have just had my reader for about two weeks now but hoping I can figure a system out before I get too many more ebooks downloaded.

Thank you
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:45 AM   #2
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Check out calibre, http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows, for nondrmed books. You can use tags in Calibre to designate books as read, unread free and purchased. It also has a good search mechanism to find a specific ebook in a large collection.

I have not found a better solution for library books than ADE yet.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 03:20 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I have a feeling everyone will think I'm crazy but, I have a system that works for me and is pretty quick. I usually set up folders and do the pic of the purchase page while the book is being downloaded.

I have my books in author folders inside 1 of 2 main folders for books. The 1st for DRM'd books and the 2nd is for DRM free books.
  • John Doe
    Jackson James
Inside the author folder I have separate folders for each book. The book folder title has the information as the folder name. R is what I use to show that I have read it, $ means I purchased it, and then the month and year.
  • A bk1 of Lady by John Doe R smashwords free 1-2010
    B bk 2 of Lady by John Doe R smashwords $ 1-2010
    C by John Doe smashwords $ 2-2010

Inside each book folder, I keep a pic of the book purchase page. Which also has the book blurb to refresh my memory. I also keep multiple formats of the book in each folder.
Click image for larger version

Name:	pp.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	45488

Then, I change the book folder icon to reflect what genre it is.
Name:  hum.JPG
Views: 1031
Size:  9.9 KBHumourName:  mys.JPG
Views: 1015
Size:  9.8 KBMysteryName:  sci fi.JPG
Views: 1032
Size:  10.6 KBSci-Fi

My DRM'd books (which means the backup copies of Sony Reader and ADE books here) has this main folder icon.Name:  DRM.JPG
Views: 1016
Size:  10.8 KB

OK, I know most will think it's a lot of work or crazy, but it is fast and works for me.

Last edited by dreams; 02-13-2010 at 03:23 AM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, SimonSays.

I use Calibre.

Enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I have a feeling everyone will think I'm crazy but, I have a system that works for me and is pretty quick. I usually set up folders and do the pic of the purchase page while the book is being downloaded.

I have my books in author folders inside 1 of 2 main folders for books. The 1st for DRM'd books and the 2nd is for DRM free books.
Then, I change the book folder icon to reflect what genre it is.
Attachment 45490HumourAttachment 45491MysteryAttachment 45493Sci-Fi

My DRM'd books (which means the backup copies of Sony Reader and ADE books here) has this main folder icon.Attachment 45489

OK, I know most will think it's a lot of work or crazy, but it is fast and works for me.
I like it. It's not so complicated if you don't use Caribre (or something like it). I can't really understand the Humour icon though... why do you use scissors?

Anyway, the system sounds good and I might actually adopt it.

Last edited by LCF; 02-13-2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I use the tags in Calibre and I tag for various purposes. Some of the tags are genre tags (mystery, classic, sci fi, Star Trek etc.) and some are by source (Kobo, Sony, Library, Fictionwise etc.) You can load DRMd files into Calibre and transfer them, you just can;t convert them.

I also have a tag for 'done' for books I have read, and I use the stars to indicate status, for example, three stars means it's on the Kindle right now, two stars are for books I read in p-book already and have replaced with an ebook (I will read new books before I re-read these) and one star is for books I have read already. It's very easy to browse for books with no stars and see what I want to add to the Kindle.

When the Kindle finally gets tags or folders or something, I will probably add every book to it, but for right now I am only adding a handful at a time.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
I like it. It's not so complicated if you don't use Caribre (or something like it). I can't really understand the Humour icon though... why do you use scissors?

Anyway, the system sounds good and I might actually adopt it.
I chose scissors because someone who is a "cut up" is funny. It's an old saying, so cut = scissors.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:24 AM   #8
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Thank you for the feedback- going to try out Calibre. I thought that program was just for converting

Dreams- your system sounds good, but probably takes time to get it all started and I know I would screw it up easily..lol
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I chose scissors because someone who is a "cut up" is funny. It's an old saying, so cut = scissors.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote