Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #31
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
I have had 2 (soon to be 3 kobos once my touch arrives in the mail today) the KO and KW and have found the developers to be very responsive. In just over a year they have released 3 devices each one substantially better than the last as well as several firware updates that not only address known issues but also add features.

I am very comfortable with the new firmware for the touch ( a coworker has one ) I have seen no lag in the screen response either in navigation or in page turns. and ghosting does not seem to be an issue at all.

So good job to the kobo team for being responsive and I anticipate, proactive with future firmware releases. Wtih the new freescale processor the hardware in inplace to make this the hands down best current reader out there just a few more software tweaks and it's there.

Last edited by baronrus; 06-20-2011 at 12:39 PM.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #32
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmosh View Post
The performance and sluggishness is now fixed while an option for page refresh intervals is now added. It is very quick now...this coming from someone who has used a K3. Although loading books is still a little slow, I can afford to wait the 4-8 seconds it takes to load a book. Waking from sleep on the other hand is almost instantaneous.

Typography is somewhat a preference. The Kobo looks more like a book whereas the K3 looks a little too bold and heavy to be a book. More options of course would be nice -- that way there is no arguing
I'd say the Nook was more of a rushed project, with ghosting and not enough time to develop a real web browser, and it was also rushed out for Father's Day, with the blatant Kindle copying of the default font. Plus, I doubt you'll see an option to change page refresh rates in the Nook anytime soon, if at all, since it was a major marketing point against the Kindle. I find the Kobo Georgia font better if I take it down a size, but the developers have already promised a greater choice of fonts, but I kind of like the lighter fonts on the Kobo readers, and after reading on it the Kindle fonts seem really bold (in my last K3 I changed the default font to Georgia for that reason, plus the Kindle fonts don't look like any books that I read).

I chose the best of both worlds--I picked up a Kindle with Special Offers, so I have a choice of bookstores, formats, fonts, and other options. I already bought a $10-off Amazon gift card, and I used the $10 Kobo gift certificate and got $10 cashback on the device, so they are both great values. Then I stick with my ipad for pdf library books and for low-light reading.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Another way of viewing Kobo's "responsiveness", is that they knowingly shipped fairly buggy software to get it out the door for Father's Day, and now they are playing catch-up...

I returned my KT, based on poor touch performance, general sluggishness, and horrid typography.

Can/will they fix all these problems? I don't know, but the Nook Touch doesn't seem to have them (aside from offal (sic) PDF support).
Since you seem to dislike the typography, I don't think any eink reader will do for you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #34
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My guess is that both Kobo and B&N really wanted to launch their products at the really, really big New York Book Fair--which they did. Kobo also announced their Read On program at the same event. Deadlines tied to events are always a challenge.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:06 AM   #35
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
Since you seem to dislike the typography, I don't think any eink reader will do for you.
Actually I was pleased with the type on the K3 (with minor hacks to add left justification and narrower margins), and I like the fact that I don't have to hack my Nook Version II STR to get the same function.
My needs aren't that fussy, but the combination of horrible serif font and no control over line spacing, or margins lead me to return the Kobo Touch.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #36
pvs
pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Actually I was pleased with the type on the K3 (with minor hacks to add left justification and narrower margins), and I like the fact that I don't have to hack my Nook Version II STR to get the same function.
My needs aren't that fussy, but the combination of horrible serif font and no control over line spacing, or margins lead me to return the Kobo Touch.
I agree completely about the software in the new Kobo touch, not having any control with line spacing and margin size is the main reason I havn't purchased yet. Or even the choice of publisher's defaults! I don't really want to puchase the Nook (I live in Canada), but the text-dialog controls on the Nook touch are superior to the Kobo touch.
pvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #37
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
I don't really want to puchase the Nook (I live in Canada), but the text-dialog controls on the Nook touch are superior to the Kobo touch.
Have you tried both, then?
Old 06-22-2011, 01:57 AM   #38
gpw11
gpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Have you tried both, then?
Most comparisons come to that conclusion, and from watching reviews, it seems it's really the only conclusion you can come to as of right now. The Kobo Touch is great, but I don't think you can argue that it has anything on the Nook STR when it comes to text customization options or features...as of yet.
gpw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #39
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i did not know there was a firmware update. that's what happens when you don't have the world wide web at home. haha. i've been waiting to get internet reinstalled but it's a slow process. just got tv back the other day, going on 1.5 weeks without net and i probably will have to wait until the weekend at least.

guess i'll have to take the kobo to work and update the firmware.

is there a way i can update it offline or must it be done through the app again?
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #40
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
mine updated through a wifi sync.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #41
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
wifi update here too
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #42
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so what you're saying is if i bring it to work and turn on the wifi something will pop up and say new firmware update ?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #43
taming
Trying for calm & polite

After the first update it will.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #44
siraks
use the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
After the first update it will.
the first update as in out of the box updated with the desktop? yes i did that.
but as stated above i haven't had internet at home for over a week and half so i'm a bit behind on everything going on.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #45
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
so what you're saying is if i bring it to work and turn on the wifi something will pop up and say new firmware update ?
It will pop up a message after having already downloaded the update. Just connect it to wifi with internet access and it should automatically start downloading.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote