weamish began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Review of Kindle Fire

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/kindle...usability.html
weamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Might be more useful if you conducted a REAL usability test rather than with just 4 people. As is it wasn't worth my time to even read it.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
FWIW, I purchased a smartphone with a 3.2" screen about six months ago. I made sure I got a low cost no contract plan to not be stuck with any disconnection fees.

Longer story shorter is I stopped using most every function it had shortly after purchase except making calls and texting. Everything else I would describe as a very poor user experience.

The KF? Not even close to that "experience" so far. Browsing the web, watching video, playing games, downloading apps, etc. etc, so far has me quite satisified especially for what I spent.

And what is the percentage of positive reviews/experiences versus negative from average Joe/Jane users so far on Amazon?

Last edited by robertc88; 12-05-2011 at 02:19 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
janicew
Enthusiast
janicew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire
I've read Jakob Nielsen's reports for years (although not as much recently) because of work I've done with web accessibility where he was very well known. My opinion is that Nielsen tends to be highly idealistic when it comes to usability and certainly isn't about elegance or beauty. (Following the link above to his web site is proof of that.) He tends to approach his usability reviews from a viewpoint of preferring a highly simplistic design. (Again, all just my opinion.) (By the way, the person who posted the link didn't write the review.) (BTW, Nielsen also reviewed the Kindle 2 and criticized it's usability two years ago: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/kindle-writing.html. I think you'll get the feel of where my opinion comes from reading both.)

However, Nielsen's not necessarily wrong either, it's just that he's a bit over the top in focusing on the negative and has expectations that are not necessarily in line with the average user. He does state - "Our studies of Kindle Fire weren't intended to advise consumers on whether to buy a Fire device. Our goal was to discover design guidelines for companies that are building websites, apps, or content that their customers might access on a Fire." And app designers could probably learn from his commentary. Overall his article becomes much more about the 7" tablet experience then it is specifically about the Kindle Fire. Nielsen is completely 100% focused on the simplicity of use and details of usability. This is NOT a comprehensive look at the Fire, what it does, or how it works for the price point it's offered at.

Unfortunately, the review has already gone "mainstream" enough that it hit my top tech news feed from Google. And most people won't look at this review for what it is. The recaps by other sources are already leaving out his comments about design guidelines and other pertinent information to make it just sound like a KF bashing.
janicew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
When I read a review I pay close attention to how the reviewer is using it and his/her comments on use/usability.
Sometimes they are coming from an entirely different direction than I am coming from or expect to use the device.
Then I also spend time handling the device myself if able and I'm interested.

Otherwise I don't give "reviewers" too much attention. I've found they're a bit too full of themselves.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
I do think he's more into the web design end. As far as the magazines go, obviously he hasn't seen the Sports Illustrated app. Optimized for tablets, it's just fabulous, with sound, scrolling sidebars, current news and tweets. I'm sure it's just a small taste of the potential, but I've given up on my paper version completely, although unfortunately I still get it (waste of paper) for the digital rights. I do have several magazines on Zinio and they are simply scans of the original magazines and offer nothing new.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
The problem with mobile apps is that you have to adapt it to multiple screens and browsers. It isn't fair to use a mobile site designed for simple Java browser phones on a tablet.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote