Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
falcon60
falcon60 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can't add books to my kobo lookbook

Well I can add books, but they won't appear on the Books tab on the device. Adobe digital editions doesn't recognize my device at all(it should appear automatically as a book shelf, correct?). Calibre recognizes but the books I add with it don't appear in the Books tab. I am adding only epub and pdf files. I have also tried adding books manually to the root directory of the device.

I deleted the sqlite file and did a factory reset. This made the 25 preloaded books appear that were absent before but still I can't add my own books.

I really have no idea what else I can try so any advice I can get here is much appreciated.

BTW it is a shift3 LOOKBOOK wireless reader with software version 1.6 and HW 2.6.24.223 ... not sure if that helps.

Thank you!
falcon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I am not familiar with the look book. Does it run the Android mobile application or the same application as the eInk Kobo reader. What version of the reader firmware/software does it run?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:16 AM   #3
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
I found link to see exact hardware. Seven inch reader, said to look kindle
alike. Well, as far as it is not the same as kobo, I fear you might get wrong
answers. Could you tweak to show all books, just as kobo can?

At the moment I cannot find user manual for the device. What is the firm-
ware on it?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
falcon60

http://mscustomercare.com/lookbook/

There's a link to more info about it. I filled out the form there to contact them but haven't heard back.

I'm sure it doesn't run android. It doesn't even play music or video, and the only two supported formats are pdf and epub.

As for the versions it has Software Version 1.6(Sep 1 2010) and HW Version 2.6.24.223. I can't find any more info than that.

It doesn't say kobo anywhere on/in the device but the user manual says "powered by kobo". Do you suppose, if it's not the same as a kobo, Calibre doesn't support it yet?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon60 View Post
http://mscustomercare.com/lookbook/

There's a link to more info about it. I filled out the form there to contact them but haven't heard back.

I'm sure it doesn't run android. It doesn't even play music or video, and the only two supported formats are pdf and epub.

As for the versions it has Software Version 1.6(Sep 1 2010) and HW Version 2.6.24.223. I can't find any more info than that.

It doesn't say kobo anywhere on/in the device but the user manual says "powered by kobo". Do you suppose, if it's not the same as a kobo, Calibre doesn't support it yet?
I came across another very similar device last week when I was looking up what devices that ADE supported. it was called The Sharper Image Literati and it was being sold at Best Buy in the states, and seems to have the same software as yours does. It was listed on Adobe as a Kobo E-reader, but I think it's a licenced 3rd party, and not from Kobo directly, considering there's no mention of it on Kobo's pages anywhere.

Unfortunately since it seems to be very different from the actual Kobo's, I don't think you're going to find much help here . Sorry.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
falcon60

I'm beginning to think it's either defective or was tampered with before I bought it. I got it at wal-mart and it was the only reader they had, and the last one at that. After I brought it home and charged it for 6 hours as per the instructions, it had no books on it at all-not even the preloaded books. I had to do a factory reset to get those books to appear.

I'll probably return it today.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
First thing I would do is connect it to Wifi and download the latest SW version. It will go through two update 1.6.1, and then again to 1.9.

Let me know if you continue to have the same issue.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
ok so its powered by something like the kobo desktop app? its not actualy a kobo, so if I'm correct its a mini computer with kobo instead of mac or windows?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
ok so its powered by something like the kobo desktop app? its not actualy a kobo, so if I'm correct its a mini computer with kobo instead of mac or windows?
More accurately it's a device running Linux which runs the Kobo app. It is not powered by the desktop app. It runs Kobo software natively on the device.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
Mcardona05
Mcardona05 began at the beginning.

Device: Lookbook
Hello

I had a similar problem with my lookbook that I got for Christmas. My computer couldn't read the device . I had tried several ports and a different computer and it wouldn't recognize the lookbook. Fortunately I had another cable that fit the lookbook and it worked. I guess the cable that came with it was defective. Once you restart your computer with the new cable you can open ADE and it will ask you to
authenticate new device. Follow through with that and you'll be able to transfer pdf's in no time. Also user manual helps mscustomercare.com/lookbook
If you have version 1.6 you should really connect to a wifi and update your lookbook. You'll be very pleased. Good luck and happy holidays

Last edited by Mcardona05; 12-31-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Mcardona05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
SameerH
Product Manager

Just to clarify, the device is a Shift3 Lookbook, not a Kobo Lookbook. We are not the manufacturers of the device.

Mcardon05 is correct. v1.6 of the software on the Literati or Lookbook does not support sideloading of PDF's / ePubs. Please upgrade to 1.9, it has many more features including access to Newspapers and Magazines.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:24 AM   #12
iJustWannaRead
iJustWannaRead began at the beginning.

Device: shift3 LookBook
i have a big problem. i have the lookbook, just bought it today. got home and charged it. turned it on and started reading. seems pretty nice.. was really really slow. but i was able to get online to the store and find a free ebook. i also downloaded and installed the update. it did this twice, for the 1.6 and then the 1.9. after the 1.6, it ran really slow. but then after i turned it off for a while and started it back up, it ran fine.. i then turned my wifi back on and it fount another update. so i downloaded and installed, it restarted and it is stuck on the starting splash screen. i have manually reset the device. and no change. i wouldnt mind if it turned off, but it comes right back on to the screen. i have plugged it into my computer, but the computer doesnt recognize it. tried different usb cords, no change. have yall heard any problems about them freezing like this? got mine at walfart too. id rather not have to talk with c.s. unless i absolutely have too.. programmer here,,pretty bad if i have to ask for help!! lol, thanks!! :")
iJustWannaRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
SameerH
Product Manager

@iJustWannaRead - the v1.6 > v1.6.1 upgrade is really small (around 9MB) so it happens very quickly. The upgrade from v1.6.1 > v1.9 is about 60MB and unpacking / applying that upgrade can take up to 10 minutes on that hardware.

The splash screen should switch to an 'upgrading your eReader' screen after a couple of minutes. However, depending on when you upgraded to v1.6.1 this may not happen. Try leaving the splash screen going after the upgrade. Please keep it plugged to the wall charger during this time.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
angiemi
angiemi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Same problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
First thing I would do is connect it to Wifi and download the latest SW version. It will go through two update 1.6.1, and then again to 1.9.

Let me know if you continue to have the same issue.
I do have the same problem and try to get help from Kobo technical support since more than 2 days and I did not have any reply...

I updated to version 1.8 and I still can see my books otherwise than via my computer, where I can see them in the Kobo reader.

If I try to reset it to the factory settings, it does not erase any of these books that I continue to see on my computer...
angiemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiemi View Post
I do have the same problem and try to get help from Kobo technical support since more than 2 days and I did not have any reply...

I updated to version 1.8 and I still can see my books otherwise than via my computer, where I can see them in the Kobo reader.

If I try to reset it to the factory settings, it does not erase any of these books that I continue to see on my computer...
Do you have a Literati/Lookbook device or a Kobo eReader?

Also, can you clarify what you are trying to accomplish? Do you want the books gone from your computer? Or are you trying to sync to your Kobo eReader?