Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
SciFiReader
GadgetReader
SciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Sony Reader
Converting Palm purchased books to Reader?

Is there a way to convert the PBD files for purchased Palm books that will allow you to convert these to the Reader format? I know that there would have to be a way to enter the password in the eBook software to open the books. Any ideas or am I out of luck to try a convert. I tried using the Amber SW, but without the password entry, the file does not convert.
Thanks
SciFiReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
The Amber SW works for non-DRMed books. I have searched but have found no way to convert the DRMed books. Would like some capability myself.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
That makes three of us. I have a large library from ereader that I would like to convert. I can find some of them other means, but I don't like to support that method.

That actually brings up another question. How do authors get compensated for distribution of their books through libraries. Do they just get royalties on the one or two copies sold to the library or do they get royalties based on the actual number of times a book has been checked out. I've been curious about that.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar
That actually brings up another question. How do authors get compensated for distribution of their books through libraries. Do they just get royalties on the one or two copies sold to the library or do they get royalties based on the actual number of times a book has been checked out. I've been curious about that.
In the UK, there's a "pot" of money that gets dished out to authors on the basis of the statistics of the number of loans of their books throughout the whole country over the course of a year. A good friend of mine. the British SF author Bob Shaw, now sadly deceased, used to get a couple of thousand pounds a year that way. Not a fortune, but not a trivial amount either.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Thanks for the info, I've wondered about this from a copyright and drm perspective. If you check the book out of the library, but find an electronic copy to read on your reader the author would still get compensated. The downside to that is that it still supports the piracy sites which is not good. It will be nice once electronic formats really take off, but a standard is sorely needed.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2007, 06:00 AM   #6
reycat
Enthusiast
reycat began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 + Hanlin V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
In the UK, there's a "pot" of money that gets dished out to authors on the basis of the statistics of the number of loans of their books throughout the whole country over the course of a year. A good friend of mine. the British SF author Bob Shaw, now sadly deceased, used to get a couple of thousand pounds a year that way. Not a fortune, but not a trivial amount either.
Bob Shaw? I think I have only read two of his books, 'Who Goes Here?' and 'A Wreath of Stars', but I love them.

Now that I have the Reader, I intend to read 'The Ragged Astronauts'.

Sad to read he died, I really liked his writing.
reycat is offline   Reply With Quote