Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: "Peaceful" or "Lonesome"?
I could live without people and outside noises easily. I enjoy silence. 15 29.41%
I enjoy being alone, but need something, music, etc in the background to connect to. 10 19.61%
I get nervous when I'm all by myself. Give me humanity and noise! 2 3.92%
Small periods of solitude are okay, but only occasionally. 0 0%
I need something else in my home, even a blue fish would do...... 1 1.96%
I really prefer just being with my mate, or family, and can do without the rest. 3 5.88%
You forgot.......(Please post your issue) 3 5.88%
I'm neither one nor the other. I need my friends AND time alone 17 33.33%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #106
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
hard to do when all the library is on an e-reader .....
Ahh, true. This could be a problem in the future.

I like to snoop around people's shelves at GoodReads as well.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #107
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I am sort of 50-50... I am happy being alone a lot of the time. And I like natural background noises, or possibly quiet music with no words. However if something talks to me (TV, radio, whatever) I can't possibly ignore it; if I don't want to give it my full attention it is terribly distracting and annoying.

I can be alone a lot of the day and be happy but don't like being completely alone for more than that. I like being around my husband pretty much anytime, and I enjoy small groups of friends, but a large group of people I don't know well is very intimidating. Add into that the fact that I can't pick speech out of background noise very well, and a party can be extremely isolating--it's hard to have a conversation when you can't tell what your companion is *saying*. I know a little ASL but that doesn't help me because nobody else around here does.

I tell people I'm a facultative extrovert--I like being around people but it takes energy and after a while I have to go away and rest.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #108
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I think its really interesting that there are the same amount of people who could do without outside people and other noises, as there are those who need both.

I wouldn't have thought the former would be as popular.

Just interesting.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #109
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I voted for the last option. I could certainly live quite happily without ever watching TV again, and I don't need music playing. And I hate loud, noisy, crowded or any combination thereof (although I can usually zone out the crowds on the London Underground). I enjoy spending time with friends, but equally I need time to myself.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #110
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Plenty of time for that after I'm dead. Am I right, Rog?
DixieGal, this made me remember an old quote from a newspaper from my youth. My Grandmother cut it out and sent it to me when I was in my late teens. It was entitled "Soliloquy on a dog".

An old German soliloquized as follows about his dog: "You vas only a dog but I vish I vas you. Ven you go to bed you shust turn around dree times and lie down; ven I go to bed, I haf to lock up the blace, and vind de clock, and put out de cat and undress myself, and my vife vakes up and scolds and de baby vakes and cries and I haf to valk him de house round, and den maybe I get myself to bed in time to get up again.

Ven you get up you shust stretch yourself, yawn a little, and you vas up. I haf to light de fire; put on de kiddle, scrap some mit my vife. and get myself breakfast.

You lays around all day, and hab plenty of fun, I haf to vork all day and hab plenty of trouble.

Ven you die, you vas dead; ven I die I haf to go somewhere else again.

P.S. I'm not responsible for the fake German accent used in it.

Last edited by slayda; 05-09-2009 at 10:29 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert