Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by grits View Post
This is the EXACT problem I'm having with my Kindle 2. I also called Amazon support for help and received the exact same answer. Put her to sleep and don't power off. What's bothering me is that this is my second book I've read since I bought my Kindle 2. The first book took me almost two weeks to read and yet everytime I turned her off, she always held my page. But not this book, it always goes back to the title page. I haven't tried the going to home first before shutting down but I will. But why would it work with one book and not the other? In fact, I reopened up the first book a few times and shut it off and it came right back on the page I shut it off on. I also opened a new book I haven't read and it held it's place too! What I'm concerned about is, is there something wrong with my device? Should I return it or is it simply something wrong with this particular book?
Welcome to MobileRead, grits.

Do you know anyone you can have load the book on their device?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #17
grits
grits began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I wish I did. I saw that mentioned earlier but I'm the only one I know that has a Kindle. I'm the one bragging about it to everyone else. I saw someone wrote that it might be a corrupt file. Would that be on the book itself or a Kindle malfunction? I guess what I'm getting at is I'm only 6 days away from 30 days past shipment and I'm wondering if this is normal or should I request a replacement. I'm not even sure if they'll give me one. According to Amazon support, the Kindle should NEVER retain it's page when turned off, only when put to sleep. I'm wondering if they even know. ???: help:
grits is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #18
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by grits View Post
I wish I did. I saw that mentioned earlier but I'm the only one I know that has a Kindle. I'm the one bragging about it to everyone else. I saw someone wrote that it might be a corrupt file. Would that be on the book itself or a Kindle malfunction? I guess what I'm getting at is I'm only 6 days away from 30 days past shipment and I'm wondering if this is normal or should I request a replacement. I'm not even sure if they'll give me one. According to Amazon support, the Kindle should NEVER retain it's page when turned off, only when put to sleep. I'm wondering if they even know. ???: help:
Mine retains its page when its 'turned off', of course I have a K1.

Call again. Perhaps another rep will see things differently. Have you told them it works on one book but not another?

See post 13 this page also.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #19
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
How is turning it off working on the Kindle? On the Cybook you have to first exit the book for the position to be saved. If you turn it off without exiting the book the position will not be saved.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #20
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
On the Kindle just turning off the device in the middle of a book still saves the page.

Did you try deleting the book and then re-adding it?

Greg
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #21
appel846
appel846 began at the beginning.

It didn't matter if wireless was off or on for mine, but thanks for the suggestion! At least everyone here has been very helpful and it's good to know that I'm not totally off track. My troubleshooting skills are semi productive... ;-)
appel846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #22
appel846

Okay, so I've tried a couple of things (thanks All, for the suggestions!)
1. Did a check disk through Windows - didn't help
2. Re-initialized the device - didn't help
3. Updated latest firmware - didn't help
4. Imported to my PC and renamed to remove extra characters - didn't help ([B]NOTE:/B] There wasn't an "mdb" file. One had an extention of "azw1" and the other was a "tan" extension. Tried to rename to "azw" and "mbp" and it didn't like that at all.
5. Deleted book and re-downloaded - didn't help
6. When trying to go to my location and "synch to furthest page read", it gives me a message: "[I]You are currently at location 21. The furthest read location is [B]1[B] from "Patrick's Kindle" at 12:43 PM EST today. Go to that location? It won't synch correctly for this book.
7. Called their tech support - surprise...didn't help
8. Bought a NEW BOOK and Whammo - IT WORKED I can turn off power on this new book, exactly where I'm reading (no bookmark)

I will say again, their tech support sucks. Here's why...
I called again and the young lady on the phone said "if you want to save your place in the book you are reading and want to turn off the power, there is an update to the Kindle that will let you do this." While verifying with her that I indeed had the latest update, she continued to stick by their mantra that 1) you are supposed to [B]always[B] keep the power on and in "sleep" mode. 2) when you shut off the power, you essentially are cutting off the battery power to that page, hence it deletes it.

Although I've been ragging on their support team, I'm confident it is a book problem and one that most likely isn't resolvable unless they remove it from their server and reapply this particular book. Not sure that it will resolve with even that. At any rate, I want to thank everyone for your help in this. Great forum!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #23
grits
grits began at the beginning.

Yes, I thank everyone for their responses, as well. I too have tried several trouble shooting tips in the mean time, definitely not as extensive as the ones mentioned above but I now believe it's a book problem and not a Kindle problem. I have bought eight books since I bought my K2 and the first one I read worked perfectly and always saved my page when I shut it down in the middle of the book. (I never put it in sleep mode or went home first, I always just shut it down right where I was at) So when I finished that book and went on to book number two, that's when I was floored when it wouldn't save my place. Well, I just happend to have bought two more books by the same author as book number two, so I tested them and low and behold they do the same thing, they don't hold my page. The other four books, however do hold the page. So I am convinced that it's the book or a programming issue of the book. I also deleted the book and restored it but it didn't matter. Thanks so much for everyone's help!
grits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #24
appel846

AZW1 and TAN extensions on books

I mentioned the "not keeping my bookmark" problem to a coworker, who happens to have K2 with the latest firmware. I confirmed on mine, that my book has an "azw1" and "tan" extensions on the book files that weren't working properly (not saving place when powered off). My coworker has over 400 books and did a search for any book with those extensions. When she brought one up like this, it did the same thing (didn't save her place when powered off). I did the reverse test and bought another book. This one has the "azw" and "mbp" extensions....and works perfectly!

It is definately a "book" issue. What bothers me is that Amazon's support folks don't know this.

Again, many thanks to everyone for helping me work through this. Now, I'm off to my therapist...
Old 03-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #25
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Okay, this is weird as heck.

I was thinking this might be a file type issue--I'd read on another thread that someone was having this problem, and it turned out to be with a topaz book, and I haven't had this problem and I have almost no topaz books (I also usually put the Kindle to sleep rather than turning it off, but I did turn it off a time or two in the middle of a book to see if I could replicate the problem the other thread was talking about). Plus I don't like topaz for other reasons, so my first impulse was to blame the format :-)

I just found out that I have *one* lonely topaz book: _Flash_ by L.E. Modesitt, so I tried with that on my new Kindle 2. The first time I turned the Kindle 2 off I was maybe four pages in, and when I turned it on, it came back on the page I was reading. The second time I turned it off I was six pages in, and it came back on the first page!

In addition, I went further into the book (about halfway), went to the home screen, and turned the device off; when I turned it on and entered the book from the home screen, it opened on the same page where I had exited. So that part of customer service's spiel seems to be correct. However when I moved to a new location, and turned the Kindle 2 off without exiting the book, when I turned the Kindle 2 on again, I was back at the first page, not at the location the Kindle had previously saved (when I went to the Home screen). So not only does this fault fail to register where I was when I turned the Kindle 2 off, it actually wipes the last successfully remembered location out of memory!

I must say, I don't think that is a feature.

However when I try this with a "normal" book I can't replicate the problem at all.

Interesting. I also can't replicate the problem using _Flash_ on my Kindle 1; I've tried three different locations and it always turns back on at the correct page!

Is there anyone who has been able to replicate this problem on a Kindle 1?

Also, has anyone had this problem with topaz files that have extensions other than .azw1? (I think they can also have extensions .tpz and .azw2)

At the moment, I think it's the combination of the format and the Kindle 2 that's the trouble, but for me the fault is intermittent.

If you can't get Amazon to fix the books, my suggestion would be to either put the Kindle to sleep instead of turning it off, or avoid topaz books, or pick up a Kindle 1 on ebay or craigslist :-)
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
or avoid topaz books
This is the best advice. The Topaz books I've seen look terrible, perform worse and are full of errors.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
I just found out that I have *one* lonely topaz book: _Flash_ by L.E. Modesitt, so I tried with that on my new Kindle 2. The first time I turned the Kindle 2 off I was maybe four pages in, and when I turned it on, it came back on the page I was reading. The second time I turned it off I was six pages in, and it came back on the first page!
This sounds like a bug to me. You should send this to the amazon feedback/cs link.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #28
doughboy
doughboy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I have a related issue. I am sure it is user error. Sometimes I inadvertently hit the back button (or something) pushing the book back to page 1. I then have trouble getting back to the page I was reading and have to do a trial and error page number search and since I don't note page numbers this can take a while. Is there a way to quickly return to last page read if you accidentally go back to page 1?
thanks
Christopher
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #29
OldMom
OldMom began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I have a K2 and it always retains my 'last read' page when I turn it off. But now, since I've read that it is preferable to let it sleep instead of turning it off - I'm going to do that, just in case. Of course, this makes me wonder why there is even a way to turn it off, if we aren't supposed to.
OldMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #30
OldMom
OldMom began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Yeah - I wonder that too, as it has happened to me. I have been lucky to recall a word from the page's text, so could do a search for it. But if I don't recall a good keyword, then what can I do? And also - WHAT do those page numbers refer to? It isn't pages, it doesn't seem to be word count. What is it counting?
OldMom is offline   Reply With Quote