Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #46
LucidDreams
Tech Reader
LucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
when that comes i expect something Great will be upon us in hte ebook world, either the
Kindle 2 (or 3)
Color Eink
Or, Foldable Display. i would buy a foldable display in a hearbeat, color Eink is very Meh to me, Kindle 2 is on my top list, espcially if it gets an upgraded screen. or whatever new screen there will be.
Personally, I don't like the Kindle - I feel it's trying to do what Apple did with the iPod and win the eBook Reader player war by using a "closed" eBook file format (so to speak). They also have to seriously work on the design of the unit - it just looks like a brick to me. But I'm not expecting much change in design of the nex-gen Kindle. Why change things too much when you can't even keep the current version in stock?

Color e-ink is 3-5yrs away before it hits a eBook Reader - you'll probably upgrade before then. But e-ink isn't the only game in town. I'm keeping my eye on the Plastic Logic's eBook Reader, if it ever comes to market in 2010 and at the price points they mentioned (on par with the Kindle - probably $449-599 range). From the video/photos I've seen that eBook Reader is by far the best out there (if you could buy it today). But I think they need to make several sizes because the 8x10/11 dimensions is too big for a general eBook Reader (not for portable use - but fine for home/business).

As for foldable displays - I seen a few prototypes but think it will take longer to develop to the point where it's what people would buy (mass market). Right now we don't even have a really good/awesome eBook Reader that does regular books. Sure the stuff that's out there is kewl and works...but it's not awesome yet. But it will be soon, I hope.
LucidDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #47
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Yeah,it makes more sense to read comic books on the 505 as jpeg; preferably jpegs of a specific predefined size; I still didn't have time to update the charts, but generally I wouldn't use PDF to display images at all.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #48
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidDreams View Post
Personally, I don't like the Kindle - I feel it's trying to do what Apple did with the iPod and win the eBook Reader player war by using a "closed" eBook file format (so to speak). They also have to seriously work on the design of the unit - it just looks like a brick to me. But I'm not expecting much change in design of the nex-gen Kindle. Why change things too much when you can't even keep the current version in stock?
the Kindle is just as closed as the Sony Readers. where the sony can read LRFs, the kindle can read PRCs and Mobi. their not being able to read books you buy from amazon on the computer is their only Pitfall in this department. other than that, Kindle books genearlly are the cheapest out there.

the Kindle Grows on you, but i do think its too large, why does the keyboard need to be there, when 99.5% of the time you will never use it. anyway, when the Kindle gets a touch screen eventually, im sure it will be the prettiest device on the market.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #49
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
There's a desktop Mobi reader available -- will it not display the books purchased for the Kindle?
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #50
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidDreams View Post
As for foldable displays - I seen a few prototypes but think it will take longer to develop to the point where it's what people would buy (mass market).
You have the Readius, which is very close to market.
It's a bit small for a dedicated reader, it's more an hybrid with a phone, but it's very nearly there.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 12:01 AM   #51
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I actually wouldnt mind a half size screen. I would like to see a small Eink device with the same Width, but half Height.. I would buy one in a second, even with my 700. as long as it can turn pages as quick as the 700.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:40 AM   #52
Andybaby
Wizard

i went a week without Using the back Light, I will comfortably say you can get over 4000 page turns without the Light.

with Light, I will say 6 hours continous on low, 3 hours on High.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #53
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
4000 *FOUR Thousand* !!! Excellent Andybaby! Thanks for the heads up
and confirmation. Now if I could only get past 300 page/week....
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #54
golferjec
golferjec began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Thanks for the review. Very informative. Just purchased one and enjoying it more and more. Very light not heavy like thick books.
golferjec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #55
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, golferjec! :wellcome:

I'm glad you found the review helpfule, and even gladder that you're enjoying your new Reader.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs 700, prs-700, prs700, review