Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #196
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1848508

anyone seen or tried this.

Last edited by stevov; 12-18-2012 at 06:07 PM.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #197
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
it would be nice if someone from kobo could be bothered to come on and answer some of the questions especially the flash and otg situations.
Flash is not a Kobo situation... it is Adobe that is no longer supporting it on Android as of the Ice Cream Sandwich OS. I had to install Flash Player from the same location (Flash Player archives) as was given in this thread a while back for my Samsung tablet and phone.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 12:21 AM   #198
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Flash is not a Kobo situation... it is Adobe that is no longer supporting it on Android as of the Ice Cream Sandwich OS. I had to install Flash Player from the same location (Flash Player archives) as was given in this thread a while back for my Samsung tablet and phone.
I respectfully disagree. There are tens of millions of devices on 4.0.4 ics happily running flash and if you check the link I posted previous to your post you would see that the last ota update for flash on 4.0.4 was Dec 12 which I received on my one X. And as you have stated you installed flash on your Samsung tablet and phone. It works on my HTC device. Which brings us back to why does it not seem to be working on Kobo.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:38 AM   #199
natsume
natsume began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
Flash download success

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post

Or, from a web browser on your ARc, look up "xda adobe flash" in Google. The thread you want should be the first contextless one one displayed in the first search result ("Adobe Flash Player 11.1.115.20"), with the "Official download link" in the 4th post. Just click and install.
thank you to JD Gumby. I downloaded the software using Browser on my Arc. I can now play Facebook Scrabble in the Dolphin browser.
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #200
stevov
Groupie

JD in my link above the most recent update ends in 34 is there any chance you could try it to see how it works on the arc. it was the ota update for 4.0.4 on dec 12
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 02:10 AM   #201
Canadian Cookie
Canadian Cookie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/f...player_ics.apk

Download. Copy to your device. Open your file manager to the spot where you placed it (I keep it in /downloads, for simplicity), run it.

Or, from a web browser on your ARc, look up "xda adobe flash" in Google. The thread you want should be the first contextless one one displayed in the first search result ("Adobe Flash Player 11.1.115.20"), with the "Official download link" in the 4th post. Just click and install.

You'll need to be using Opera, Firefox, or possibly Dolphin HD in order to get Flash to actually work at all (even crippled like it is for me :/).

Wow! We are supposed to do all this? Our Kobo Arc should have come with an app like Flash. Where are Faisal Abed and Kobo Robin? We shouldn’t have to spend all this time figuring things out.
I did find the free book that I got from the Google play store but I can only read it there. Although on google.com they say: Keep on device. To ensure that your book will remain available for offline reading, tap the box next to "Keep on device" to check it.
I haven’t come across that box yet.
Canadian Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #202
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Cookie View Post
Wow! We are supposed to do all this? Our Kobo Arc should have come with an app like Flash. Where are Faisal Abed and Kobo Robin? We shouldn’t have to spend all this time figuring things out.
I did find the free book that I got from the Google play store but I can only read it there. Although on google.com they say: Keep on device. To ensure that your book will remain available for offline reading, tap the box next to "Keep on device" to check it.
I haven’t come across that box yet.
We are in no way affiliated with flash. Google has stopped supporting it in Jellybean and we in no way write any kind of code to ensure 3rd party software will work.

If software shows up in the play store on our device and yet it does not work when installed, that is the software developers problem.

Our hardware on ICS is not the only one with this issue, i believe this to be a main reason google no longer supports flash.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #203
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if the time might have come to stop adding to this omnibus thread on the Arc and instead get smaller, more directed threads going?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #204
stevov
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
We are in no way affiliated with flash. Google has stopped supporting it in Jellybean and we in no way write any kind of code to ensure 3rd party software will work.

If software shows up in the play store on our device and yet it does not work when installed, that is the software developers problem.

Our hardware on ICS is not the only one with this issue, i believe this to be a main reason google no longer supports flash.
iirc Adobe stopped supporting flash on android after 4.0.xxx not google. i think they actually stopped after Honeycomb.the ability to run flash was always one of androids claims to fame because apple wouldn't. As i have already said flash works fine on 4.0.4 except it seems on Kobo but the problem may lie in the newness of the arc. after doing some checking i should have no problem loading flash but only because it's already in my google account as an existing app from before august. again i would ask someone to sideload the flash link ending in 34 as this was the last update for flash on 4.0.4. please make sure you uninstall all previous flash installs beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wonder if the time might have come to stop adding to this omnibus thread on the Arc and instead get smaller, more directed threads going?
i can see your point but at the end of the day one thread with many questions or many threads of one question all have the same requirement.
Answers.This thread started with the question, "where are all my Arc people",
can we ask where are all our Kobo people. This is a new product and as good as it appears to be there is surprisingly very little information available on it and this forum is the only real place of conversation about it. the people who do have it are trying to answer as best they can considering they are still learning it themselves.If the employees taking part at the moment are only able to as time permits due to other responsibilities then perhaps Kobo needs to look at having a dedicated team to monitor and respond to questions on various forums especially in the early adoption period.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1912330
the one thread i found on XDA which iirc is the biggest forum for mobile platforms.
i'm actually looking forward to what the future brings for the Arc as its owner Rakuten wll be looking to it to be the answer to Amazons Kindle HD.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:10 AM   #205
Canadian Cookie
Canadian Cookie began at the beginning.

Kobo Robin what instead of Flash

Quote:
iirc Adobe stopped supporting flash on android after 4.0.xxx not google. i think they actually stopped after Honeycomb.the ability to run flash was always one of androids claims to fame because apple wouldn't. As i have already said flash works fine on 4.0.4 except it seems on Kobo but the problem may lie in the newness of the arc. after doing some checking i should have no problem loading flash but only because it's already in my google account as an existing app from before august. again i would ask someone to sideload the flash link ending in 34 as this was the last update for flash on 4.0.4. please make sure you uninstall all previous flash installs beforehand.

i can see your point but at the end of the day one thread with many questions or many threads of one question all have the same requirement.
can we ask where are all our Kobo people. This is a new product and as good as it appears to be there is surprisingly very little information available on it and this forum is the only real place of conversation about it. the people who do have it are trying to answer as best they can considering they are still learning it themselves.If the employees taking part at the moment are only able to as time permits due to other responsibilities then perhaps Kobo needs to look at having a dedicated team to monitor and respond to questions on various forums especially in the early adoption period.
the one thread i found on XDA which iirc is the biggest forum for mobile platforms.
i'm actually looking forward to what the future brings for the Arc as its owner Rakuten wll be looking to it to be the answer to Amazons Kindle HD.

Well said Stevov. Robin what do we use instead of FLASH! Do tell us.
Canadian Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:10 AM   #206
stevov
Groupie

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1848508

until i get to open my own arc best best i can suggest is click on this link within your own arc browser look down the first post till you see the series of flash players build numbers and click on 11_11_1_115_34 and install it. this is the most recent update for flash and is running fine on my onex. this was an ota update via the google playstore. hope it helps
Old 12-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #207
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Cookie View Post
Well said Stevov. Robin what do we use instead of FLASH! Do tell us.
I'm sorry your frustrated but I have no idea. Flash was never a platform designed for tablets. The lack of mouse and keyboard is the main reason flash never really worked well.

Most video sites have switched to html5 for videos to solve this problem.

Again, I don't work for Adobe so I can't get flash to work for you.

xda forums is a GREAT site to find out information on these types of subjects.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #208
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:

I am here. But in all honesty I can't answer everything.

When someone asks 'How do i turn off discovery' i respond you can't. I am not going to engage in multiple threads about why it sucks or not.

I cannot help people having connection problems with windows. I am not customer service, I don't even have a PC to replicate the issues.

What I can do is talk to users and answer questions about the product and take notes on how people would like to see Tapestries evolve.

JD has been great in helping users on this forum and I applaud all of that work. That said, there has been times where I have stepped in to clarify some points.

Again, we are here as users and fans of Kobo. We are in no way being asked to do this.

I hope people understand.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #209
Akyth
Akyth began at the beginning.

Device: None
Smile

Good afternoon everyone

I have bought a Kobo Arc 16Gb a month ago and I had an issue with it, I asked a refund since I wanted to buy a 32Gb one (in the end, 16Gb is not much) and I am going to buy it for Christmas. I would just like to know if anyone had had this issue with his Kobo Arc:

Any time I launch an app, load a web page, turn a page in a book, wait for a video to launch I get an annoying electronic-type noise (like a bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz). It was very slight but very annoying when reading / surfing at night in my bed.

Akyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #210
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
I am here. But in all honesty I can't answer everything.
Of course.

Quote:
When someone asks 'How do i turn off discovery' i respond you can't.
Except you could do so quite easily by telling people they can go to Settings -> Apps -> All -> Discovery Service -> Disable. What you can't do, as long as you're using Tapestries for your launcher, is reclaim the space filled by the Discover bar (which is now a black strip with no entries). (unless, of course, you are specifically forbidden from providing such advice, which is understandable - no company likes its employees helping the users bypass the advertisement systems)

Quote:
JD has been great in helping users on this forum and I applaud all of that work. That said, there has been times where I have stepped in to clarify some points.
Which is a good thing - I can only speak from my surface-level experience of using the Arc, which can sometimes lead astray when I miss something small but important. (alas, my best computer days are like almost 20 years ago - started falling behind on current knowledge back in the Windows 95 days and never really caught up :P)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote