Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
Handwritten notes on the k5?

The sony prs t1 has one and it is cool.There is already a kindle drawing app and some more have also been released,so this is not impossible.The objective is not to have handwriting recognition but REAL handwritten notes.If the sony can do it then so should the kindle.The only thing left to do is either:
1. Port the sony prs t1 handwritten notes app
2.Or make changes to the drawing apps to make them work like a scribble notepad in books.
To implement it we can use a patch for jbpatch which can control the reading app of the k5.
Or there we could edit some files in the kindle root to get a similar result.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
The sony prs t1 has one and it is cool.There is already a kindle drawing app and some more have also been released,so this is not impossible.The objective is not to have handwriting recognition but REAL handwritten notes.If the sony can do it then so should the kindle.The only thing left to do is either:
1. Port the sony prs t1 handwritten notes app
2.Or make changes to the drawing apps to make them work like a scribble notepad in books.
To implement it we can use a patch for jbpatch which can control the reading app of the k5.
Or there we could edit some files in the kindle root to get a similar result.
Be certain to let us all know when you get this application finished.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not developing any app.I DONT EVEN KNOW BASIC CODING.I was just giving an idea to the developers(that is if they are interested in this).I wish i knw how you guys come up with wonderful apps.can someone provide me some documentation on starting programming for kindle.and which linux would be best for that?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am not developing any app.I DONT EVEN KNOW BASIC CODING.I was just giving an idea to the developers(that is if they are interested in this).I wish i knw how you guys come up with wonderful apps.can someone provide me some documentation on starting programming for kindle.and which linux would be best for that?
aboutthetimeyoulearntobeconsiderateofothers and startmakingcomprehensibleposts.
Wecanallseehowyouearnedyoursignature.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
As with everything else, there is no way to learn this except for the hard way: to try it. And unlike bicycle driving, in IT you have to keep learning, perpetually.

Of course, to get a *really* good understanding of the entire matter, I personally recommend to get a BSc. or MSc. in Computer Science, because that will also teach you the fundamentals which lay hidden *behind* all the shiny UIs and programming languages. But I suppose that's not your goal, so let's keep it simple: I suggest you go grab some of the "Head First xxx" or "xxx for dummies" books, they're generally pretty good as introductions. Examples:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470371749/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0596009208/

I personally suggest to start with Java, but I know not everybody here will agree. C / C++ are more difficult to start with and to program for, but will give you more insight into the "inner workings" of the computer, simply because you *have* to understand them to properly code in these languages.

As to the programming environment, any OS will do (even Windows), but IMO it's a lot easier on Linux, because it's a breeze to install support for languages and compilers, etc. Any recent distribution will do - I personally have a preference for Linux Mint lately.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Most of the kindle stuff is java, so you could start with that. I'm currently learning python online at codecademy.com , Their JavaScript track is a great place to learn fundamentals.

(Usually, people dont need linux to develop.)
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
As with everything else, there is no way to learn this except for the hard way: to try it. And unlike bicycle driving, in IT you have to keep learning, perpetually.
Of course, to get a *really* good understanding of the entire matter, I personally recommend to get a BSc. or MSc. in Computer Science, because that will also teach you the fundamentals which lay hidden *behind* all the shiny UIs and programming languages. But I suppose that's not your goal, so let's keep it simple: I suggest you go grab some of the "Head First xxx" or "xxx for dummies" books, they're generally pretty good as introductions. Examples:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470371749/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0596009208/
I personally suggest to start with Java, but I know not everybody here will agree. C / C++ are more difficult to start with and to program for, but will give you more insight into the "inner workings" of the computer, simply because you *have* to understand them to properly code in these languages.
As to the programming environment, any OS will do (even Windows), but IMO it's a lot easier on Linux, because it's a breeze to install support for languages and compilers, etc. Any recent distribution will do - I personally have a preference for Linux Mint lately.
darn it. you beat me to it.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

BIG NOTE:
Something that does not involve Makefiles (or Haskell or ...) where the amount and type of leading whitespace on a line is significant.

The O.P. does not "do" whitespace.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Hmm. If you just want to actually ´developer´ some apps yourself.

Any linux more or less (but it´s not required). Big mainstream stuff will give you tidy software managers that make managing the linux environment that bit easier more automated.

It sounds glib but writing a HELLO WORLD program in a few languages is probably the place to start (we don´t all already have a DipAwesome in IT-Ninjary.) if you are using a touch then as suggested above look at the right language for that.

Eclipse provide free software development environments (IDE´s) for most things. you could look there.

Expect to read a lot of docs. I mean a crap load. Buy some books on the subject if you get semi-serious and digest a few in the meantime.

My shelf in front of me contains: MS server guide complete works, Effective C#, professional c# projects, The Audio Programming Book, Several imposing CCNA manuals, Beginning Javascript, a bunch of O´Reilly stuff, blah de blah etc etc.

My point is that whilst I have indeed been employed as a professional developer (though my focus was on musicianship for the last twenty years) much of that bookshelf is about stuff I touched maybe once or twice and the meat and veg stuff like knowing javascript in this day-and-age is a ´given´.

You just have to be prepared to stuff your head with a multitude of things.
If that sounds like it´s for you then I thoroughly recommend it. Highly rewarding when things go right.

: ) Access Granted.

Last edited by twobob; 08-13-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: glib not gilb
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

Like ixtab said i cant get a degree. Well i thought mobileread was like fb so i put my age as 20 but i am actually 12 years,so it isnt possible to get a degree. Sorry everone for lying about my age.Hope you will forgive me.But yet i will try to learn programming and am going to start directly from C/C++.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
still... Go read some books.

Quote:
Like ixtab said i cant get a degree. Well i thought mobileread was like fb so i put my age as 20 but i am actually 12 years,so it isnt possible to get a degree. Sorry everone for lying about my age.Hope you will forgive me.But yet i will try to learn programming and am going to start directly from C/C++.
Being that young is an advantage in many respects. You have the time ahead of you to make good decision about what you want to do. Including becoming a professor if you would like.

Degrees are a lot like toilet paper when you have had a career for twenty odd years, they just get you through the door to interviews.

Assuming you are so young, then this will also be the case for you one day, w/e you choose to do.

Hard work projects and learning in the field of battle will win you more medals with a BOSS than any amount of bits of paper in most firms.

Don't apologise to me for lying about your age, those things are put in place to protect vulnerable younger people from twisted older people (and trust me, they are out there), you should probably update your real details and let a mod know somewhere though. Just a thought.

Good luck in all you do. As you get older time appears to grow much shorter and projects suddenly seem harder and harder to pursue in the correct amount, thus side projects like 'Hey, Do this cool thing!!!' are BURIED under 'Damnit, I wanted to finish Project x before Xmas!!!'

LIFE ADVICE:

Have a nice life. Read books and listen to smart people.
Be nice and get on with your own life nicely.

Try to ignore the idiots, sadly they don't go away, but you can ignore them pretty thoroughly.

Laters.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thank you for sharing that bit of personal information.
Now that we know that, it will be easier for us to help you.

That is: Knowing one's audience is always important.

You can of course start learning about the C/C++ language if you want, but . . . .

It might be easier to start out with a language intended for interactive, self learning.

Getting such a late start in the field (kids these days start programming at ages of 6 to 8 years old) you will have a bit of catching up to do with people half your age.

Not to be alarmed, that will be true all of your life. I am probably older than your grandfather, and I still have to study like crazy to even understand the people half my age.

Here is a page you might find interesting:
http://www.umcs.maine.edu/education/...e-scratch.html

And a quick over-view of the two languages mentioned:
http://www.kidslike.info/computer_pr...ming_languages

Just don't be offended by the domain name, it has some good information on that site.
In fact, if you page down to the alternative #5, you will read that it is written in Lua. The same Lua that some of the projects here use (like the kpdf project).
So, no, that site doesn't lead you into a dead-end "kids language" that goes nowhere.

Here is one more opinion about where to start out:
http://elementaryos.org/docs/apis/programming-languages

Last edited by knc1; 08-13-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

Have checked the links,will start from scratch and then progress as you suggested.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Have checked the links,will start from scratch and then progress as you suggested.
Super!
I made a few edits, but if you have already found a starting, point - go for it - those 6 and 8 year olds aren't getting any younger!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
qlob
Official Lurker

Good luck, techiemonkey!