Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
NightBookworm
NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.

Device: Kindle
Will Amazon ever start a Neflix for ebooks?

I hope they do and I hope it's part of Amazon Prime but even if it isn't, I would pay a monthly fee for it. I understand that they can't put new books in there but I would be happy with old books. I read a long time ago on CNET they were thinking about it but there hasn't been any news on it lately. Have you guys heard anything about it? would you pay for it if Amazon rolled it out? How much?

I would pay as much as $20/month for it.
NightBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Amazon has dipped their toes in it already. If you own a Kindle, and belong to Amazon Prime, you can borrow one book a month from select titles. It's not "all you can eat" but it's a start?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBookworm View Post
I understand that they can't put new books in there but I would be happy with old books.
Well, since you're fine with not having access to new books, why not just borrow them from the library? At least for me there's rarely a long wait (or any wait) for older books, and every so often you'll luck out and get a new book while it's still new.

Since Overdrive is so good, I really can't see a Netflix-like book service taking off, unless it's part of a bundle of services, like Prime.

Last edited by K. Molen; 05-24-2012 at 02:40 PM.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
They won't be able to without agreement from the publishers. Good luck with that one.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do tend to think that some sort of collective-licensing scheme is probably inevitable for all media, but the current gatekeepers will fight that kicking and screaming. I mean, eventually we'll get to the point where you can download every book ever written onto a portable device in a few seconds, it will be hard to maintain a DRM-based system of indivdiual purchases in the face of that alternative. Books may be the last holdout, we're already pretty far along in movies/television and music in terms of the subscription services that are already out there.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
NightBookworm
NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.

The libraries don't have the selection that I want plus sometimes they're not available. Hopefully Bezos can pull some magic and create this. On the other hand, it might mean the demise of Barnes and Nobles. I love going there and reading
NightBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I think Amazon will turn KDP into a subscription plan. It will be mostly indie authors, with maybe short fiction and selected promos from the BPHs. You pay $49.99 and you get to pick a selection a week for a year. A book a buck would be the hook.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see Amazon as seriously moving to Prime as a multimedia one-stop subscription service. They are developing their own movies and signing their own authors, so perhaps the longterm goal is to create their own exclusive content as well as supplying the content of other companies, so they may even out-Netflix Netflix. They already have about 130,000 books exclusive to Amazon as part of the Select program available to Prime members (of course, one checkout a month is a long way from unlimited checkouts, but surely that day is approaching).
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I don't see how it could be the be-all, end-all of ebook retailing, but it could be a major component for indies and the backlist.

New releases from major authors won't be interested. Publishers have shown a keen aversion to discounting their titles, but they might be willing to let go of some backlist. After all, with out of print paper books they make nothing from used bookstores and yard sales. They could put them in a subscription plan and make a buck or two. Once those royalty checks start coming in, they'll change their tune.

I think about how the movie studio fought home videotapes for so long, tooth and nail. Eventually they realized what a significant revenue stream they had in VHS tapes and changed their thinking. Publishers will do the same.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With Netflix streaming, you are getting backlist ( Two year old movies and tv shows) and indie stuff . You don't get the latest releases or premium content like HBO. I suspect that the price will go up even on what we are getting now as content providers have found out that people will pay for the convenience of streaming, even if the picture quality is less than DVD quality and the content is outdated.
In the same way a subscription plan for indie stuff and deep backlist makes sense. A subscription plan doesn't make sense for the latest and the greatest unless the price goes way up.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
With Netflix streaming, you are getting backlist ( Two year old movies and tv shows) and indie stuff .
I can only stream less than half the movies on my wish list. The rest are DVD only. And my wish list is mostly stuff from the 1990's and earlier.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #12
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
With Netflix streaming, you are getting backlist ( Two year old movies and tv shows) and indie stuff .
Maybe it's different in Canada... but there's stuff on Netflix streaming that's a lot newer than two years old. Although how new depends on whether you're considering theatrical release date or DVD release date.

A few new examples of movies on Netflix that are relatively new:

Super 8 (Theatrical: June 2011, DVD: November 2011)
Kung Fu Panda 2 (T: May 2011, DVD: Decemer 2011)
Midnight in Paris (T: June 2011, DVD: December 2011)

Other titles I'm pretty sure are new: Captain America, Rango, Transformers 3...

Using Netflix as a template and if we consider the DVD release to be the same thing as a paperback publication, a Netflix-like book service should be able to release e-books within 4-5 months of the paperback publication date.

I have no idea if using Netflix as a template is at all realistic, but since that's what we were doing I figured we should have accurate data.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Molen View Post
Maybe it's different in Canada... but there's stuff on Netflix streaming that's a lot newer than two years old. Although how new depends on whether you're considering theatrical release date or DVD release date.

A few new examples of movies on Netflix that are relatively new:

Super 8 (Theatrical: June 2011, DVD: November 2011)
Kung Fu Panda 2 (T: May 2011, DVD: Decemer 2011)
Midnight in Paris (T: June 2011, DVD: December 2011)

Other titles I'm pretty sure are new: Captain America, Rango, Transformers 3...

Using Netflix as a template and if we consider the DVD release to be the same thing as a paperback publication, a Netflix-like book service should be able to release e-books within 4-5 months of the paperback publication date.

I have no idea if using Netflix as a template is at all realistic, but since that's what we were doing I figured we should have accurate data.
Well, thanks for corrections. I know that the release cycles are different for books and movies and that there aremost likely different expectations of what constitutes "backlist" for books and movies.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #14
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I can only stream less than half the movies on my wish list. The rest are DVD only. And my wish list is mostly stuff from the 1990's and earlier.
I found out today that oddly enough, the 1960s TV show The Invaders can't be purchased in the USA even on DVD. Go figure...

The point is that Netflix streaming is only a small part of the Netflix catalogue and often the stuff that's least in demand.