Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #31
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Duplicate post.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
LOL
Hey! I have a set of still-working 35 year old Radio Shack Nova 8 Speakers.
They literally don't make'em that way anymore.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...tage-gear.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Vintage-Ra...item19d7c008c8
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #33
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Moving into retail spaces doesn't make a lot of sense to me since they would then have to pay staff, building costs etc all of which would eat into their profit which they would pass onto to us with higher prices for local stuff.
More importantly, they would have to pay TAX. Amazon has dodged a huge amount of taxes by being an online retailer. This tax avoidance in the tune of Billions has allowed them an advantage over other companies with bricks and mortar stores. The only way they would do this is by setting up a distinct company.

I think less retailers are stocking kindles because the market is getting glutted. I suppose amazon want to push their kindles at people to push the e-book business model, but I get the impression those people who've yet to adopt e-book won't now. What's the financial incentive for them? I wonder if amazon will get to the point where they are almost giving kindles away.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #34
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
With Amazon building warehouses like crazy all over the country, isn't it time they set up small showrooms for their Kindle line; and possibly other products?

And what better chain to snatch up than ailing RadioShack and its 4,400+ US locations. Of course Amazon won't need all of those stores, so they can keep the prime locations and sell off the rest.

RadioShack is on its way to oblivion and I like the idea of turning its stores into Amazon fronts.

And if not Amazon, what about Google?
Many Radio Shack stores are (Local area) Franchises and are not 'Company Stores'. Lots of brands operate this way. 'Ace Hardware', 'KFC', ...
The franchise owner must meet certain minimums to remain 'Branded' . Ace allows unbranded stores (they can sell Ace Product, but Not use the Ace Logo anyplace else.)
So RS selling Kindle would still be mostly up to the Local owner/dealer even if a deal was made.

Fry's sells Kindles
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If Radio Shack did go out of business, there would be one less place to get electronic parts if you needed such right away. As it is, a lot of people are stuck having to order online.

I did order online when my desktop's power supply crapped out. But I was able to get it in 3 days. I had the laptop and iPad to keep me going.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #36
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
RadioShack is headed for bankruptcy. Getting them to carry Kindles won't save them. It's best to buy them out and change the name to Amazon or Google. Prime locations kept and the rest jettisoned.
Exactly.
==== Amazon Lockers for pickup
==== repositorys for small electronic parts, connectors, etc.
==== more showrooms for Amazon, new products, devices that people would like to look at before buying. A "feely touchy" place.

This wasn't a good idea when Amazon wasn't collecting state sales taxes, but since it seems to be abandoning that idea, it might now be feasible.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:54 AM   #37
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Amazon is building warehouses. The best place to deal with customers is at the front of the warehouse. They don't need to show products -- just give people a place to pick things up and process returns.

The best place to sell a kindle is probably not a bookstore. I'd have to see some numbers. I'll bet book stores are not the best place to sell anything.

The best place to sell a Fire is on TV or the internet where you can show a lot of people how it is just like an iPad -- except for the price. This is the best place because you can impress a lot of people at once for not too much money. Second best place is a retailer where a sales person LOVES the Fire and can do amazing things with it.

I was at a Best Buy for an iPad launch. They had two set up for people to try. There was a crowd around each. People waited patiently, double tapped a familiar icon, had trouble entering data, double tapped another icon, and watched a movie. I didn't see a single person among the touchers walk away with an iPad.

I was at a BJs club last week. This woman walked around the store handing out pairs of raffle tickets. All you had to do to win a chance at a $25 gift card was watch her demo a whisk. She drew as many as had gathered around the iPad demo at BB. After a fifteen minute pitch, she sold 30 overpriced whisks. No one came to BJs to buy a whisk that day.

Selling is selling. Good selling is good selling.

Amazon already sells Kindles at Staples. Staples operates 1,871 retail stores throughout the United States and Canada. No one shops for a tablet at either place -- people just stop in to pick one up.

Wal-Mart just hired the post office to deliver its goods. Amazon ought to hire the post office to handle returns. Put return info on each box.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #38
forgottenbooks
forgottenbooks began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
RadioShack is headed for bankruptcy. Getting them to carry Kindles won't save them. It's best to buy them out and change the name to Amazon or Google. Prime locations kept and the rest jettisoned.
That not going to help either, its a sinking ship, that's gonna sink slowly.
forgottenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottenbooks View Post
That not going to help either, its a sinking ship, that's gonna sink slowly.
The idea is to not save RS, but to turn the locations into Amazon stores.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Amazon is building warehouses. The best place to deal with customers is at the front of the warehouse. They don't need to show products -- just give people a place to pick things up and process returns.
Those warehouses are few and far between, and in out of the way locations around here. Not worth driving to for pickups or returns. It's easier to buy stuff from other local stores online and pick them up the next time you go shopping there. Free ship-to-store is a great incentive.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #41
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
The idea is to not save RS, but to turn the locations into Amazon stores.
If the situation is that bad for RadioShack, why would Amazon want to inherit its problems? Buying a company means inheriting the contractual obligations of that company. They would get leases to properties that aren't necessarily profitable. They would have to fulfil or terminate contracts with suppliers. They would have to deal with labour laws while letting go of employees. Things like debts don't disappear. There is also the necessity of getting rid of unneeded assets. (To give an example: I was able to get some dirt cheap electronics components a few years ago when RadioShack Canada was let go. I'm talking about pennies on the dollar. Same could be said for properties in depressed areas.) The list could probably go on.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #42
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Those warehouses are few and far between, and in out of the way locations around here. Not worth driving to for pickups or returns. It's easier to buy stuff from other local stores online and pick them up the next time you go shopping there. Free ship-to-store is a great incentive.
The logical answer to that is to partner with someone like UPS to allow pickups and returns at their locations.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #43
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The logical answer to that is to partner with someone like UPS to allow pickups and returns at their locations.
Or merge with them. They are both in different and complementary sides ofthe logistics business.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #44
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
ApK, you don't have a Fry's Electronics near you?
I wish. The neartest one is about 700 miles away. I went to one in California once. Cool place. Maybe if RS does fold, Fry's will expand to fill the gap here on the east coast.

But as it stands, RS is pretty much my only local source for components unless, and I have several very convenient locations around me.

The independent places, like Williams Electronics, where I used buy my telcom supplies, have all gone, too.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #45
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
So is Radio Shack part of the Illuminati-Conspiracy....Watch out.. in two years everyone will have a Radioshack-Amazon Tatto..... Mark my words.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote