Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Do you skin your ereader (pix please).

In the process of fixing my prs-505 I had to transfer the internals, from a lovely red housing, to a garish silver housing. I am currently looking to buy a skin to cover my embarrassment.

So far, my favorite skin is "quest" from decalgirl, but it isn't available for the Sony. What skin do you use? and if you could provide pictures, to help me choose, that would be awesome.

[edit]
Sample of skins mentioned in thread
Quest \ Library \ Infinity \ Blue Star Eclipse \ Dark Tweet \ Whimsical \ Bullseye \ Orange Crush
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quest-skin.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	56535   Click image for larger version

Name:	library-skin.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	56536   Click image for larger version

Name:	bstareclipse.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	56609   Click image for larger version

Name:	whimsical.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	56611   Click image for larger version

Name:	bullseye.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	56612   Click image for larger version

Name:	orangecrush.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	56613  
Attached Images

Last edited by Angst; 08-13-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I havent skinned mine (Astak Pocket Pro) and unfortunately the only skin I can find looks like someone vomited on it, so that is a no go.

LOVE the quest skin, looks cool. I'd certainly have picked that. I also like Infinity and Blue Star Eclipse.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
OMG! Now I"m going to have to disassemble either my EB-100 or one of my Kindles and take photos of the guts. No doubt they'll make *excellent* skins!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Interesting timing...I've never skinned my K1, but for some reason thought about it today. Maybe to make it seem newer/fresher to me? So I'm browsing all the decalgirl designs too!
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
lisajjb
Enthusiast
lisajjb began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy 10"
Angst - is it a design that decalgirl does carry? Because you can order it for an extra $5 or so. I've been browsing over there and I'm not interested in the Libre designs, but have it narrowed down to a couple of others. Click on the design, click on e-reader, then your brand. With shipping mine goes up to $25, kinda hard to justify, but tempting... Also on facebook decalgirl said they feel "a promotion coming on Friday" so be sure to check then.
lisajjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
This is mine:

Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:46 AM   #7
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Here you go:
http://www.decalgirl.com/design.view/1072

Your quest skin is available for all devices.
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:25 AM   #8
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Nope, I don't, and I don't plan to. I like my Sony just plain black. If something happened and the casing turned ugly, I'd consider a skin but it would have to be plain.

Edit to add: I buy lots of sleeves and cases for my Reader, just no skins.

Last edited by banjobama; 08-12-2010 at 06:46 AM.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I tried skins on my K2 and my Sony 300 for a few weeks. I have neither the keen eyesight nor the manual dexterity to put a skin on cleanly so that it covers the reader without pulls in some spots and sags in others, so I took them off again.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I would be concerned about the durability of a skin. Besides, I have a nice case, no one would even see the skin so why bother. In the case of my JBL, unless it dies or I find another reader that better meets my needs, I'm planning on making a nice tooled leather cover for the JBL. That will be far more classy and durable than a thin, vinyl skin (and since I'll design and tool it, absolutely unique).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
I skinned my Kindle 1, after my experience with my phone skinning project. After almost two years, my phone looks like brand new. The skin I put on my Kindle also looks like brand new, even after 1 year, so I wouldn't worry about the wear on it. The Kindle underneath would be just like brand new. It takes a while to apply, but it's definitely worth it. Both my phone and Kindle have been just about everywhere, with no scars to show for it.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
On my white Kindles I used skins but I probably won't skin my DXG. I like it just the way it is and since it lives in a sleeve there's no need to.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post
Here you go:
http://www.decalgirl.com/design.view/1072

Your quest skin is available for all devices.
Thank you!

I found a coupon, GOMATTE, that gave me $5 off.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
So far, my favorite skin is "quest" from decalgirl, but it isn't available for the Sony. What skin do you use? and if you could provide pictures, to help me choose, that would be awesome.
DecalGirl will take any of their existing designs and add it to a different device for an additional $5. I'm assuming that's to cover the cost of laying out the design it for that device.

I'm debating on a skin for my Nook or Opus. I like Orange Crush for the Opus:
http://www.decalgirl.com/item.view/41984

but I'm thinking of doing a custom design for the Nook. I'd really love a bamboo wood-grain.

And why is a silver Sony garish, but not a red? I had a Silver PRS-300 and thought it was sleek, with its brushed aluminum finish.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I'm considering matching designs for my K1 and new Opus. I'm leaning towards either Dark Tweet or Whimsical.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote