Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Floeee
Groupie
Floeee began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s *returned* / Sony PRS-505 *returned* / Asus eee PC t91
PRS 505 or 600?!?

Hello im new here and i want to buy an ebook reader these days.
So the new 600 arrived and i cant decide. the bookshop in my city, hasnt got the 600 yet and so i cant compare them really, but i cant wait longer, getting an reader ^^

watched many videos about those 2 reader and now im looking for some experiences from you guys. because the impressions in a video are not the best.

i really dont need an touchscreen (search function would be nice but not essential) so the real two points are the page turning speed and the contrast

im reading pdf mostly and the most of them have many pictures, so the zoom function is nice on the 600 but i dont want to read with it. i want only to see the hole page for the pictures and then make the fonts larger and read the text.
so i fear, that this procedure of reading a pdf would take too much time

my question now, is the 600 that faster than the 505 with pdfs (maybe a way to convert pdf in another format, which both can handle with same speed?)
and the other thing is: is the screen of the 505 that better? i mean is it less reflecting and the contrast better?

what could you guys recommend, the 600 is also about 50% more expensive, but thats no pro to me

thank you !

ps: is the 505 able to handle rss feeds?
Floeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
tovanhung
tovanhung began at the beginning.

Device: HP4700, Sony PRS-505
I bought a PRS-600 yesterday, and I am so sorry why I didn't buy PRS-505. My e-reader (PRS-600) very dark screen that makes my eyes is very tired.

Last edited by tovanhung; 09-04-2009 at 09:09 AM.
tovanhung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
The 600 has PDF zoom, which I think will make it much easier for me to read fixed PDFs on it.

It's going to be a toss up between the 505 and the 600. If the screen contrast is most important to you, get the 505, but recognize that the PDF support is not as good as on the 600. IMO.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
The 600 has PDF zoom, which I think will make it much easier for me to read fixed PDFs on it.

It's going to be a toss up between the 505 and the 600. If the screen contrast is most important to you, get the 505, but recognize that the PDF support is not as good as on the 600. IMO.
I really want a good screen contrast, but could probably live with the 600. I don't read a lot of PDFs on my broken 505, but then that's partly because they're a pain, and could well read them a lot more on a 600.

The hell of it is, this is probably the kind of thing where you'd want to have a good couple days to test-drive the 600 - read it in bed, on the bus, outside and see how you like the reading, and try PDFs on it the way you would on a typical workday. So, even if I do get to go to a store and see them in the flesh, it wouldn't be definitive.
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJ View Post
I really want a good screen contrast, but could probably live with the 600. I don't read a lot of PDFs on my broken 505, but then that's partly because they're a pain, and could well read them a lot more on a 600.

The hell of it is, this is probably the kind of thing where you'd want to have a good couple days to test-drive the 600 - read it in bed, on the bus, outside and see how you like the reading, and try PDFs on it the way you would on a typical workday. So, even if I do get to go to a store and see them in the flesh, it wouldn't be definitive.
I know what you mean.

There is a 30 day warranty if you buy the 600 from Sony..plenty of time for a test drive.
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I know what you mean.

There is a 30 day warranty if you buy the 600 from Sony..plenty of time for a test drive.
I'm leaning towards that.

What I'm afraid of is, I'll get the 600, try it for a week, decide I don't like it, and find that 505s can no longer be had for love nor money.

I suppose I could buy both and return one, but that seems ... wrong/a hassle/a scary thing to see on my VISA bill.
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I read lots of pdfs on my 505 and for the most part they're fine. I used to convert them to lrfs using calibre, but anymore I don't even bother. That said, some pdfs are almost unreadable on the 505 and large pictures are useless.

I guess I'm a little lost when it comes to discussing speed. Are we talking page turns? If so, it's not an issue. Switching from book to book can be a little slow.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:20 AM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

One thing that helps with PDFs on the 505 is to put the device in landscape mode -- makes the PDF display quite a bit larger.

I don't know how difficult it will be to find a 505 in a month or so. I suspect they'll be available on eBay for a while, along with at Frys and other electronics dealers.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
Floeee
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
I read lots of pdfs on my 505 and for the most part they're fine. I used to convert them to lrfs using calibre, but anymore I don't even bother. That said, some pdfs are almost unreadable on the 505 and large pictures are useless.

I guess I'm a little lost when it comes to discussing speed. Are we talking page turns? If so, it's not an issue. Switching from book to book can be a little slow.
and the 505 shows your converted pdfs right?? because i got the 505 yesterday and with medium fonts in a pdf he disarranges many pieces of my text and its getting weird

page turning or changing font in pdf is also really really slow, i stopped up to 10 seconds for a page turn

in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKpl4wiG-Bs the 600 is really fast, but i dont want to read in zoom mode :/

but in the video, the display is also reflecting very strong
Old 08-31-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
How a pdf shows up on the 505 really depends on the pdf. Some look just horrible, but I find that most are okay. The converted lrf's usually work fine.

I have never had the experience of a 10 second page turn (or anything close to that). Changing fonts - yes. Have you tried several different pdfs? Maybe you just have one that's formatted weirdly.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:30 AM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
How a pdf shows up on the 505 really depends on the pdf. Some look just horrible, but I find that most are okay. The converted lrf's usually work fine.

I have never had the experience of a 10 second page turn (or anything close to that). Changing fonts - yes. Have you tried several different pdfs? Maybe you just have one that's formatted weirdly.
My converted PDFs always look like garbage -- they seem to lose any paragraph formatting, so the text of the entire book is displayed in one long paragraph. Sometimes the headers and footers appears in the middle of every page on the new file, too. I know it's a factor of the PDFs but I've had bad luck.

I have had 2 books on my Reader exhibit slow page turns now and then, about 10 seconds. It wasn't on every page in the book, though.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I was contemplating the PRS-600 despite the poor screen quality, simply on responsiveness alone. Of course, it's still not quite quick enough, but it is quite refreshing after dealing with a 505 for a while.

I'm actually a bit disappointed...I was REALLY hoping the 300 would have gotten a speed boost. That'd have sold me right there, even though I'm not an e-ink fan.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
Floeee
Groupie

Quote:

how do you convert them into lrf?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Book Designer (BD) does as good a job as any.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #15
Floeee
Groupie

yeah would like to give a try, but im not able to open the pdf in it
there are only many "????????????" coming on a message

also the rtf version which i made with adobe pro isnt possible to open in book designer "cannot convert to book designer"