Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
LostSock
Enthusiast
LostSock began at the beginning.

Device: none
<ul> and <li> is not consistently spacing

This has been plaguing me on more than a few books, but this book has a LOT of lists and I don't want to use a slapjack fix for it. I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but it's frustrating me.

I have this in my book, in several spots:

Code:
 <p class="subheadafter">Seasonal</p>

<ul>
      <li>Information here.</li>
with this for subheadafter (I have not changed the li or ul parameters):

Code:
.subheadafter {
	font-size: 1.10em;
	font-style: italic;
	margin-top: 1em;
	text-indent: 0em;
}

What that produces in an ereader is some instances in which there is approx. 1em of space between 'Seasons' and the first item of the list. In other cases though, it's one line right after the other, with no space at all. Why on earth is that happening? It's the exact same code, and there's no unclosed ul preceding it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advanced!
LostSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Is the class of the element before the list always "subheadafter"? Does the list sometimes have a class? Is it always <ul>? Are all cases within the same XHTML file?

Have you validated the XHTML and CSS codes? Have you tried in different readers or in a browser?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
LostSock
Enthusiast

Sometimes it's after a regular paragraph, but it doesn't show spacing there either. Passed all XHTML and CSS checks, and with every XHTML file (14) in the epub. It happens with both <ul> and <ol>

I didn't think to try a browser, but in Safari and Firefox it does show the spacing properly. So, is this an issue with ADE then?
LostSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Maybe. Can we see a full sample (a compliant ePub that displays the problem)?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
LostSock
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, I can't upload it. But I did manage to get a fix of sorts working. I added this to my CSS:

#main ul {
list-style-type:circle;
margin: 1em 0 0 1em;}
#main2 ol {
list-style-type:decimal;
margin: 1em 0 0 1em;}
#main li {
list-style-type:circle;
margin : 1.5em 0 0 0;
padding: 0 0 0.75em 0;
}
#main2 li {